GUILTY WI - Dennis, 68, & Merna Koula, 65, slain in their Barre home, 21 May 2010

Reaction score
as one can already tell, I've been interested in cases where a (usually grown) child of a couple decides to kill them, often with the want for money. In many of those cases it is almost an exaggeration of the picture one has of a spoiled brat.

But this case interests me because it is different than one would expect. He didn't seem to exhibit the symptoms that other people who kill their parents. With Chris Porco for instance he was basically stealing their money and partying with his frat buddies. With Alan Hruby (who hasn't yet been convicted) he also was a glutton for prestige. Another motive is usually the kid doesn't get along with his parents or hates them and I don't think he hated his parents either as I don't recall hearing about much hostility between him and his parents.

One of the things the officer said to him during interrogation was that he liked his parents and wanted it to be quick and peaceful and that he felt he had no other choice since his start-ups weren't making it. Now obviously he still should never get out of prison unless he's gravely ill and near-death but it seems that unlike the archetypal parricide cases, there weren't any previous indicators or "red flags" that he would do it.

as one can already tell, I've been interested in cases where a (usually grown) child of a couple decides to kill them, often with the want for money. In many of those cases it is almost an exaggeration of the picture one has of a spoiled brat.

But this case interests me because it is different than one would expect. He didn't seem to exhibit the symptoms that other people who kill their parents. With Chris Porco for instance he was basically stealing their money and partying with his frat buddies. With Alan Hruby (who hasn't yet been convicted) he also was a glutton for prestige. Another motive is usually the kid doesn't get along with his parents or hates them and I don't think he hated his parents either as I don't recall hearing about much hostility between him and his parents.

One of the things the officer said to him during interrogation was that he liked his parents and wanted it to be quick and peaceful and that he felt he had no other choice since his start-ups weren't making it. Now obviously he still should never get out of prison unless he's gravely ill and near-death but it seems that unlike the archetypal parricide cases, there weren't any previous indicators or "red flags" that he would do it.

The fact that it was pretty well known that Koula was for most of his life close with his dad is what makes some refuse to believe that he is guilty of these murders.

Hatred was not the motivator here--desperation was. Koula did not hate his parents; he killed them to get their money and no other reason. They were cutting off the steady flow of funds he had become accustomed to over his lifetime and he felt there was no other way out of his financial troubles (which were significant but, really, not a whole lot different than those of many US families these days).

His parents were finally at a point where they expected him to grow up but the thought of having to fend totally for himself scared the carp out of Eric. The whole chain of events is just horrific; it ended the lives of two people who were cherished by family and community, and I can only imagine the affect this has had and will continue forever to have on his wife and kids.

I do believe Eric feels remorse, though. Whether or not he ever openly admits to all that he is guilty of, I believe he lives in emotional torment.

Eric Koula seeks new trial in 2010 murder of his parents

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/eric-koula-seeks-new-trial-in-murder-of-his-parents/article_da614a47-c9d4-55c1-8a6f-af5dceef8e4f.html

Eric Koula in a sweeping new court document maintains his innocence and claims another family member is responsible for the murder of his parents in 2010.

Koula, who is serving two life sentences for the homicides, in his second attempt at a new trial accuses law enforcement and prosecutors of contorting “facts” to build a case against him and argues his six attorneys failed him, according to his motion filed in La Crosse County Circuit Court.

If granted a hearing, Koula maintains his testimony can explain away some of what led to his convictions during a marathon trial in June 2012. He also intends to bring to the witness stand his four trial attorneys, two appellate attorneys, law enforcement and others, including his sister and two children.

Eric should never get out ...

1. Lied about Shopko, check, note in mailbox
2. Desperate for $
3. Drove a 2006 F-150 in dark stone color which neighbor saw going up the drive.
4. No forced entry to home
5. Plenty of time on Fri 5/21 to kill parents and get to Onalaska Shopko
6. No control type of personality - 3 previous OWIs - blew through $600K trading profits
7. Mom shot while @ computer - knew who was there
8. Badly staged burglary
9. Fake acting over note in mailbox when cops arrived

Reminds me of another double-murderer desperate for $ - Daniel Wozniak

Eric

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads