NC NC - Terry, 11, & Alan Westerfield, 6, Fayetteville, 12 Sept 1964

Richard

Reaction score
Terry and Alan Westerfield: Brothers Missing since 12 Sept 1964, Fayetteville, NC
41 years ago ...

Terry Lee Westerfield
Missing since September 12, 1964 from Fayetteville, Cumberland County, North Carolina.
Classification: Endangered Missing
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: February 7, 1953
Age at Time of Disappearance: 11 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'7; 89 lbs
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Red hair; blue eyes.
NCIC Number: M-703572346
The Doe Network: Case File 24DMNC

Alan John Westerfield
Missing since September 12, 1964 from Fayetteville, Cumberland County, North Carolina.
Classification: Endangered Missing
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: August 24, 1957
Age at Time of Disappearance: 6 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'10; 80 lbs
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Sandy hair; blue eyes.
NCIC Number: M-703572956
The Doe Network: Case File 25DMNC

Circumstances of Disappearance
According to police reports, the boys' stepfather dropped Alan and his older brother, Terry, off at Fayetteville's popular Broadway Theater, on Hay Street, at 5:30 p.m. The stepfather stated he returned to the theater about 8 p.m., and the boys were gone. When the boys vanished, authorities were not sure if the brothers ever made it to the theater. Some employees interviewed said they saw the boys, others said they did not. Neither child was ever heard from again and police think the boys were killed the day they disappeared. Heavy rains from hurricane Dora late that night and the next morning hampered the search.
Authorities questioned the stepfather who was separated from the boys' mother, at the time. His account of what happened that evening was sketchy.
Police also questioned the boys' natural father and concluded that he did not take the boys.

Investigators
If you have any information on this case, please contact: Cumberland County Sheriff's Office 910-323-1500

Sources:
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
The Fayetteville Observer

Links:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/24dmnc.html

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/25dmnc.html

The missing Westerfield boys, Terry and Alan, of North Carolina, disappeared on the evening of September 12th, 1964. Their case has never been solved. It is one of a relatively few number of cases which involves the apparant abduction of two or more children at the same time.

----------------------------------------------------------
Article ID: 903158
Published on October 4, 2003, Fayetteville Observer, The (NC)
Missing By Robert Boyer Staff writer
The two faces from 40 years ago smile shyly at the camera. Beside the photos of Alan Westerfield and his brother, Terry Westerfield, are pictures -- computer enhanced images -- of men the boys may have become.

The boys were reported to have disappeared from a Hay Street theater Sept. 12, 1964.

Fayetteville Police Sgt. Alex Thompson investigated the Westerfield disappearances as a member of a task force that reviews cold ... Complete Article, 2260 words
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Article ID: 424040
Published on October 28, 1995, Fayetteville Observer, The (NC)
WESTERFIELD BOYS ARE AN UNSOLVED MYSTERY By Eddie DeesSouth Cumberland Correspondent

I'll never forget Terry and Alan Westerfield. They were childhood playmates. Their grandparents, John and Bert McDougald, lived in my neighborhood. I used to play Cowboys and Indians with Terry and Alan along the railroad tracks off Main Street. Terry had red hair and freckles. He was protective of his little brother. Thirty-one years ago, when Terry was 11 years old and Alan was 7, they disappeared.... Complete Article, 997 words
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Article ID: 458225
Published on August 15, 1994, Fayetteville Observer, The (NC)
MISSING STIR HOPE, ANGUISH
NOT KNOWING HURTS By Scott Mooneyham Staff writer
Margaret Crawford clearly remembers that night in 1964 -- the rain, the trip to the Hay Street movie theater and the horrible realization that her two young sons, Terry and Alan Westerfield, had disappeared. ``I was sure that their father had picked them up and had them. When he called me and I realized he didn't have the children, I went into shock,'' Crawford said. She spent ... Complete Article, 1598 words

Link:
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=list&p_topdoc=11&p_maxdocs=210

I remember reading somewhere that the stepfather, who was the one to drop them off at the theater has been suspected in the boy's disappearance. I think I also read the stepfather was separated from the their mother at the time. I don't now if any more has come of that of if the stepfather is still alive. I could be mistaken though.

Oops, I see this has already been mentioned in an above post. Still, I wonder about the stepfather.

joellegirl said:
... Still, I wonder about the stepfather.
It would be interesting to know who this stepfather was and whether he had any criminal record. What did he do before the boys disappeared and after?

He was in the military service at the time the boys disappeared, actually he worked in the Criminal Investigation Division, so I doubt he had any criminal record before then else the CID wouldn't have had him. Afterwards he was shipped overseas. I think he lives in Wisconsin now.

meggilyweggily said:
He was in the military service at the time the boys disappeared, actually he worked in the Criminal Investigation Division, so I doubt he had any criminal record before then else the CID wouldn't have had him. Afterwards he was shipped overseas. I think he lives in Wisconsin now.
Do you know what branch of the military? Where was he from origionally?

i'm looking for information on a case that i was looking into last year. the case in question is about two boys who were brothers, they were on their way to a movie theatre and they were never seen or heard from again they were both under the age of 14. they went missing in the 1960's and i can't remember what year it was :doh: (for some reason 1962) comes to my mind. i have always thought that this case was sad because those poor parents not having one child but 2 missing would be hard enough.

Can somebody tell me how to find the thread on the 2 missing brothers from the 1960's? I stumbled acrossed it earlier today and now I cannot find it.

Thanks!

Kim

I think its a good possibility the step-dad was involved. Employees at the movie theatre said they saw the boys in there all the time but it could not be determined if the brothers were in there that day.

The step-father was seperated from the mom, so it makes sense he would do something to the kids, probably blaming them for the breakup of the marriage as many evil step parents do.

Police interviewed the step-fahter several years ago and still could not get any answers from him. He was very cocky and knew police really didn't have any conclusive evidence of his involvement.

Those poor little boys.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back