Dallas Mayor take matters into her own hands

Yeah me

Former Member
Reaction score
DALLAS -- Dallas Mayor Laura Miller said she was tired of waiting for federal governmental agencies to provide financial and residential help to hurricane evacuees sheltered at Reunion Arena and the Dallas Convention Center. Miller and other civic, religious and community leaders took matters into their own hands. FeedRoom
4953787_120X90.jpg
Miller, Nagin Press Conference
spacer.gif
Miller, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin and Bishop T.D. Jakes Friday revealed a plan to move evacuees from the shelters to single-family residences and apartments. Both mayors said the hurricane victims deserved better than cots and air mattresses.The mayors, though, said federal agencies -- particularly the Federal Emergency Management Agency -- were spread too thin."Local FEMA officials have 100 employees to serve five states, and when the disaster hit they went to New Orleans and there weren't enough people here to take care of the New Orleans residents who came to our cities," Miller said."I think they want to help," Nagin said. "I just think it's bigger than any one person and any one agency. This is a system problem, a process problem, a legal problem, a regulatory (problem) that was set up many years ago and is not modern enough to deal with disasters today."Miller, Nagin and Jakes described a program that aims to relocate evacuees displaced from the Gulf Coast region into area homes, apartments and other single-family or multi-family lodging arrangements.The program includes the assistance of a faith-based coalition of pastors, ministers, and other clergy and religious groups."We will take the 1,500 people who are living on cots and air mattresses in the Dallas Convention Center and Reunion Arena, and we will move them into apartments and stable living conditions with utilities and furniture and dishes and towels," Miller said."We are a third of the way there moving these people out," Miller said.Miller is asking that people donate to the newly created Mayor's Disaster Relief Fund in Dallas to help the 1,500 people get into apartments. The campaign now has $350,000, and the goal is to raise $3 million.Residents are also being asked to become host families, who will take care of evacuees' needs, by calling the Potter's House at (214) 623-4081 between 9 a.m. and midnight."We will sell Mardi Gras beads in our city [7-Eleven] stores through September and October and anyone who buys a strand of beads for $1, that whole dollar will go to the mayor's disaster fund," Miller said."To your wonderful mayor, to your governor, to all the other mayors around the great State of Texas, to all the wonderful people of Texas: You know you have a slogan that says 'Don't mess with Texas,' and it is so appropriate, because you are incredible people. You have taken in New Orleanians, and you are the first state to make that offer... I can't say 'thank you' enough," said Nagin, whose family evacuated to Texas."Your mayor, and the clergy and the corporations that are coming together are doing God's work," Nagin said."Thank you from the bottom of my heart. We have sent you some incredible people, and you can't have them permanently, all right. So don't start trippin'," Nagin said.The evacuees will be moved out of the shelters within the next nine days, Miller said.People can donate to Mayor's Disaster Relief Fund by sending a check to:The Dallas Foundation
900 Jackson Street, Suite 150
Dallas, TX 75202

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/4953685/detail.html

click on link to watch press conference.
:clap::woohoo::clap:

Yay, good positive developments. This is what is needed to return people to regular life and will go a long way with their mental health. A lesson here, don't let government red tape trip you.

I'm so proud of the organization and help that has poured out of the city I claim to be 'home'. In the days following the aftermath, Snelling Personnel services sent an email out to their clients asking for help in getting these people employed, housed, clothed, etc. I actually got to help out with that a bit. They moved fast, and their swift actions helped to reduce the numbers that are still in shelters here in Dallas. Now, our city has taken charge and is doing an awesome job.

Details said:
Yeah, but this is government too... ;)

True, but she seems to know how to step over the tape. Pro-active is best. I am just glad to see positive developments.

Laura Miller has had to pull teeth to get anything in this city done. She's been consistently called a racist because a few of the drains in city government that she's tried to get rid of were black. I applaud her efforts with regard to the guests in Dallas.

You're right, who could forget the firing of Terrell Bolton? They made that into such a race issue - the man flat out wasn't doing his job - had nothing to do w/ race. That whole situation just made me sick to hear on the news every night.

Jeana (DP) said:
Laura Miller has had to pull teeth to get anything in this city done. She's been consistently called a racist because a few of the drains in city government that she's tried to get rid of were black. I applaud her efforts with regard to the guests in Dallas.

Yeah said:
I'm so proud of the organization and help that has poured out of the city I claim to be 'home'. In the days following the aftermath, Snelling Personnel services sent an email out to their clients asking for help in getting these people employed, housed, clothed, etc. I actually got to help out with that a bit. They moved fast, and their swift actions helped to reduce the numbers that are still in shelters here in Dallas. Now, our city has taken charge and is doing an awesome job.

I heard Tom Brokaw speak earlier today and he said this was just too huge a disaster for FEMA to have ever handled efficiently - just because of the mass destruction and number of affected people. He said that the American people would be the savior of this terrible disaster, by stepping up and doing exactly what you have described here. Not waiting for things to happen, but making things happen. I'm proud of your home city also. Kudos to you and your fellow residents!!!

Thank you Less! I wish I could do more to help, but I'm not in a financial way to do so. If nothing else, I make a plea to everyone to at least donate your time if you are able to. It's going to take the citizens of the U.S. to help these victims out, not the gov't. I read today where the Red Cross had taken in so many donations for the hurricane relief that they've been able to pay for approx. 57,000 victims housing/hotel bills. :angel:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back