Try Reveal's new tool to search missing/unidentified databases!

byardduncan

Verified Journalist/Community Manager for Center o
Reaction score
Greetings, Web Sleuths! Byard Duncan here, community manager at Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting.

I wanted to let you know that we've created a new web tool that we think will help the public (and you folks specifically) more easily find matches between the federal "missing" and "unidentified" databases. We're calling it "The Lost & The Found."

Here's the link for the tool: http://ow.ly/RHrzf

And we've written up an explanation of how to use it: http://ow.ly/RHrHV

We'd love to get your feedback. If you have questions, or an idea about how to improve it, we're all ears. Drop me a note here on the forum, or write me at bduncan@cironline.org. I'll be listening closely here and reporting back immediately to our data visualization team with any and all feedback from the Web Sleuths.

Thanks so much for taking a look.

I used it last night, the interface makes comparisons a lot easier. You've done a great job with the UI imo.
thanks so much for all the work that went into this!

Thanks so much for trying it out! Let me know if there's anything you would like to see improved. You guys are our master testers.

Can you give us a brief description here of how it works?

Yessir! The tool has two scrolling bars: missing and unidentified. On the left hand side, you can narrow who shows up in the missing and unidentified categories by adjusting fields like "age" and "region." So for example, you'll see the number of cases decrease if you narrow the state to, say, Massachusetts – and if you narrow the gender to just male.

Here's a YouTube tutorial from our lead news applications developer:

[video=youtube;M4ONMfOjb2k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4ONMfOjb2k[/video]

Let me know if this helps.

Yessir! The tool has two scrolling bars: missing and unidentified. On the left hand side, you can narrow who shows up in the missing and unidentified categories by adjusting fields like "age" and "region." So for example, you'll see the number of cases decrease if you narrow the state to, say, Massachusetts – and if you narrow the gender to just male.

Here's a YouTube tutorial from our lead news applications developer:

[video=youtube;M4ONMfOjb2k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4ONMfOjb2k[/video]

Let me know if this helps.

Cool! Pssst, I'm female. My avatar is of my missing cousin, who is male.

Very cool tool. Great work on the development, the interface is very easy to use. Thank you.

Is there an option for sorting the results by county?

Can The Unidentified only be seen blurred?
No, you can uncheck that preference. That is the default so noone is shocked. I haven't seen anything that gruesome on there yet...

Amazing tool!

I often go to the old articles on Google, looking for unidentified buried etc...
This tool makes it so easy to check anyone missing!
Much easier than checking with Namus or Charleyproject...

I do have one complaint though...
It should also check people BEFORE 1950.
I think that's my only complaint, lol.
Great, awesome, wow!
Amazing tool! Thank you!

WooHoo!

Is there an option for sorting the results by county?

I discovered you could do it by Region (like the Pacific which would include Washington, Oregon, and California), or do it by State.

This tool is very good and I agree it could use a few tweaks. The physical markings and clothes and accessories are areas that I find if expanded into the Search feature would help. I tend to look at those categories to check for matches. The Exclusions category is great as you can see if the person you are checking has been excluded. Having the city or the county as part of the Search feature is something I noticed would be helpful.

I do use the tool each day and am always amazed at how many new people come up missing. Thank you again for the great tool.

This tool is very good and I agree it could use a few tweaks. The physical markings and clothes and accessories are areas that I find if expanded into the Search feature would help. I tend to look at those categories to check for matches. The Exclusions category is great as you can see if the person you are checking has been excluded. Having the city or the county as part of the Search feature is something I noticed would be helpful.

I do use the tool each day and am always amazed at how many new people come up missing. Thank you again for the great tool.

One of the UID's I checked did have attached pictures of clothing and accessories. You have to click on the white arrow to the right of the photo. Also sometimes the clothing/accessories are listed under that category.

One of the UID's I checked did have attached pictures of clothing and accessories. You have to click on the white arrow to the right of the photo. Also sometimes the clothing/accessories are listed under that category.

Thanks, Linask. Maybe a Yes or No in the Search feature for tattoos, things like that. My thinking was to expand the Search ability to help narrowing down the results. I'll keep working with it, maybe I'm missing an easier way to narrow the searches.

Thanks, Linask. Maybe a Yes or No in the Search feature for tattoos, things like that. My thinking was to expand the Search ability to help narrowing down the results. I'll keep working with it, maybe I'm missing an easier way to narrow the searches.
Tattoos are listed too, but I forgot under what category. I was looking to match my two MP's to UID's, so I may have gone about it differently than you. I narrowed it down by sex, State, ethnicity/race, age range, and years since disappearance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back