KY - Rowan County clerk Kim Davis Jailed for Contempt, 2015

Very glad to hear that KD is being held in contempt and jailed. I hope this sends a message that behaving any way you want in the workplace is not acceptable. And it's not lawful when it's a government official refusing to follow the law.

KD is free to believe anything she wants. But if her religious views are in conflict with the tasks she is required to do in her job, by law, then she is free to resign and pursue her beliefs elsewhere.

One could even argue that her internal conflict should morally and ethically compel her to resign, so as not to continuously impede the rights of others. She is a public SERVANT of the lawful needs of others. She is to SERVE the public in her role. It's simply not her role to make any kind of policy, or pass judgments on the moral, or "biblical" worthiness of applicants.

We don't allow police to not respond to the calls of gay citizens. We don't allow firefighters to stand by while the home of a gay couple burns down. We don't allow teachers to refuse to teach the children of gay couples.

These kind of "activists" should face serious legal consequences. I'm glad the judge ordered her to be jailed.

It's such a simple solution-- all she has to do is resign. No one has any "right" to force their beliefs on others, or use their beliefs (however sincerely held) to limit the lawful rights of others.

She should not be considered an activist or a martyr by anyone.

BBM

U.S. District Judge David Bunning told Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis she would be jailed until she complied with his order to issue the licenses. Davis said "thank you" before she was led out of the courtroom by a U.S. marshal. She was not in handcuffs.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-kentucky-clerk-gay-marriage-20150903-story.html

Sounds like a stand off. If she won't comply, then she stays in jail until the end of her term as Clerk??

In the meantime, is there another clerk who will issue the licenses?

Very glad to hear that KD is being held in contempt and jailed. I hope this sends a message that behaving any way you want in the workplace is not acceptable. And it's not lawful when it's a government official refusing to follow the law.

KD is free to believe anything she wants. But if her religious views are in conflict with the tasks she is required to do in her job, by law, then she is free to resign and pursue her beliefs elsewhere.

One could even argue that her internal conflict should morally and ethically compel her to resign, so as not to continuously impede the rights of others. She is a public SERVANT of the lawful needs of others. She is to SERVE the public in her role. It's simply not her role to make any kind of policy, or pass judgments on the moral, or "biblical" worthiness of applicants.

We don't allow police to not respond to the calls of gay citizens. We don't allow firefighters to stand by while the home of a gay couple burns down. We don't allow teachers to refuse to teach the children of gay couples.

These kind of "activists" should face serious legal consequences. I'm glad the judge ordered her to be jailed.

It's such a simple solution-- all she has to do is resign. No one has any "right" to force their beliefs on others, or use their beliefs (however sincerely held) to limit the lawful rights of others.

She should not be considered an activist or a martyr by anyone.

The thanks button wasn't enough! I agree with everything you said. Thank you.

BBM

Sounds like a stand off. If she won't comply, then she stays in jail until the end of her term as Clerk??

In the meantime, is there another clerk who will issue the licenses?

Deputy county clerks, one of whom is her son.
"The judge also told all five of the clerk's deputies, including her son, Nathan Davis, that they are free to issue licences to all applicants while Davis is held in contempt, but would also face fines or jail if they refuse to comply. He told them to meet with lawyers briefly and consider their fates before returning to his courtroom later Thursday to reveal their decisions."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/u-s-co...mpt-over-same-sex-marriage-licences-1.3214735

Davis served as her mother's deputy in the clerk's office for 27 years before she was elected as a Democrat to succeed her mother in November. As an elected official, she can be removed only if the legislature impeaches her, which is unlikely in a deeply conservative state.
The judge also told all five of the clerk's deputies, including her son, Nathan Davis, that they are free to issue licences to all applicants while Davis is held in contempt, but would also face fines or jail if they refuse to comply.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/u-s-co...mpt-over-same-sex-marriage-licences-1.3214735

So Kim Davis' mother was the rowan county clerk for years, then KD took over and it looks like Nathan Davis is currently being groomed for the position. That's quite the family business! :jail: Looks like she'll have some time to think.

Davis served as her mother's deputy in the clerk's office for 27 years before she was elected as a Democrat to succeed her mother in November. As an elected official, she can be removed only if the legislature impeaches her, which is unlikely in a deeply conservative state.
The judge also told all five of the clerk's deputies, including her son, Nathan Davis, that they are free to issue licences to all applicants while Davis is held in contempt, but would also face fines or jail if they refuse to comply.

So Kim Davis' mother was the rowan county clerk for years, then KD took over and it looks like Nathan Davis is currently being groomed for the position. That's quite the family business! :jail: Looks like she'll have some time to think.

She was elected as a Democrat?? This story is crazy.

I wonder how long until her son joins her.

Since this is about her religious views, they should tell her she can get out of jail when she prays the bars open.

Is it ok with her religion to be married 4 times?

Okay, I'm confused, and feel kind of dense...A clerk who issues marriage certificates is an elected official? And makes 80K a year? I was married at my town hall and the clerk who issued the license was not an elected official, and they make about half of that.

I wonder how long until her son joins her.

Since this is about her religious views, they should tell her she can get out of jail when she prays the bars open.

Is it ok with her religion to be married 4 times?

No. Here's what I wrote in another thread about that, which I wanted to bring over here:

Kim Davis says she became born again AFTER her multiple divorces. So her adultery doesn't count.

Oh yeah? So how many divorced people does she deny marriage licenses to? And has she separated from her husband and gone back with her first or remained single? If not, she's still committing adultery.

It's funny how neither gay marriage nor gay sex is written in the Ten Commandments. Adultery is though. Yet those who scream loudest against gay marriage are dead silent about adultery.

Make no mistake: this is about hate. Not God. There is nothing compassionate or loving or Christ like about Kim Davis or her angry, ugly demeanor. She is no different from the rage-filled, jeering segregationists who denied goods and services and admission to black people during the 50's and 60's and that is precisely how history will remember this hypocrite.

"Ohhhhh, you mean that commandment? Oh, um, that one just doesn't really apply to me because born again, repent, rinse, repeat"

:snooty:

Why are some of the posts' text centered?

BBM. Thank you for this info! I've been wondering why this had to become something that involved courts and jail. I was thinking, "Sheesh, she refuses to do her job, why don't they just fire her?"

This explains it. They can't fire her. But they can drag her butt into court, order her to comply with the law, and hold her in contempt when she refuses. Now I understand.

ASHLAND, Ky. — A defiant county clerk rejected a proposal that would have allowed her deputies to grant same-sex marriage licenses, hours after she was sent to jail by a federal judge for disobeying a court order.

Through her lawyer, the clerk, Kim Davis of Rowan County, said she would not agree to allow the licenses to be issued under her authority as county clerk. Had she consented, the judge would have considered releasing her from custody.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/04/us/kim-davis-same-sex-marriage.html

So she will sit................:behindbar

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5280life