Try Reveal's new tool to search missing/unidentified databases!

byardduncan

Verified Journalist/Community Manager for Center o
Reaction score
Greetings, Web Sleuths! Byard Duncan here, community manager at Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting.

I wanted to let you know that we've created a new web tool that we think will help the public (and you folks specifically) more easily find matches between the federal "missing" and "unidentified" databases. We're calling it "The Lost & The Found."

Here's the link for the tool: [url]http://ow.ly/RHrzf[/URL]

And we've written up an explanation of how to use it: [url]http://ow.ly/RHrHV[/URL]

We'd love to get your feedback. If you have questions, or an idea about how to improve it, we're all ears. Drop me a note here on the forum, or write me at bduncan@cironline.org. I'll be listening closely here and reporting back immediately to our data visualization team with any and all feedback from the Web Sleuths.

Thanks so much for taking a look.

Hey there! Do you mean is there a way to work in this tool without looking at the pictures? If so, we have a tool that blurs them out.

Or do you mean: "Is there a way to limit the search to only cases that have no pictures on file?"

Let me know. Happy to help.

Hey there! Do you mean is there a way to work in this tool without looking at the pictures? If so, we have a tool that blurs them out.

Or do you mean: "Is there a way to limit the search to only cases that have no pictures on file?"

Let me know. Happy to help.

The latter. Either limit to no pictures or to pictures only.

Thank you for your work!

Hi - looks like there's no data for postmortem interval. For example - yes this UID may have been discovered in 1988, but if they are estimated to have been deceased for 20+ years they probably won't be a match for someone that went missing in 1987.

I'm trying to use this on my kindle, and can barely see any of the cases, even with the filters hidden. Are you working on a mobile version?

Slight problem here. On Google Chrome at least, no scroll bar appears on the far right side of the page, so it's very difficult to scroll through large numbers of cases, or open all the information on one case and scroll through it. You're only able to see what the scroll bar within each section can generate before you hit the bottom of your screen. See attached. The only way I can see what's "farther down" is by zooming out from the page.

*attachments contain blurred post-mortem images*
lost_found_problem.jpg
lost_found_zoom_out.jpg

Greetings, Web Sleuths! Byard Duncan here, community manager at Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting.

I wanted to let you know that we've created a new web tool that we think will help the public (and you folks specifically) more easily find matches between the federal "missing" and "unidentified" databases. We're calling it "The Lost & The Found."

Here's the link for the tool: [url]http://ow.ly/RHrzf[/URL]

And we've written up an explanation of how to use it: [url]http://ow.ly/RHrHV[/URL]

We'd love to get your feedback. If you have questions, or an idea about how to improve it, we're all ears. Drop me a note here on the forum, or write me at bduncan@cironline.org. I'll be listening closely here and reporting back immediately to our data visualization team with any and all feedback from the Web Sleuths.

Thanks so much for taking a look.

I just stumbled into this thread and started using the web tool for the first time. I love it! And love how NamUs cases are incorporated into it as it makes searching and comparing SO much easier. I'm using Google Chrome and the web tool's interface and menu is easy to use. What a great idea! Thank you... to you, and your team.!

One room for improvement would be a 'save feature' for cases of interest and tracking.

Also, perhaps a daily or weekly update for the photos in the web tool as some of the cases I'm working on have new profile photos for their NamUs cases.

Others features that should be included in the search panel on the left of the tool's page should be an option to narrow results for HEIGHT, WEIGHT, & HAIR.

Is there a new link? It's not working for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For Jane Does, if it's possible to tell if they've had children.

Hi Byard!

Love this tool! Is there some way that, once we’ve looked at a misper’s and decedent’s records and found them not to be a match, we can mark it as such so it stops displaying in our search?

Thank you,

Bo x

Also, please make it easier to use on handheld Apple devices (an app would be great :D )

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmdigital
Back