1312 users online (238 members and 1074 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

NY - East Bronx, Girl, ~5, in Rodman's Neck Park, Aug'57

In 1957 a little girl was found in a New York park.
    She was believed to be around 5 years old.
    This was during the same time as The Boy in The Box was found. Since the crimes were similar it was thought to be possibly related.
    I can find nothing more about this poor little girl.
    Has anyone else heard of this case?

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Looks like she was found on Wednesday August 14 (reported in the August 17 newspaper) in Rodman's Neck Park in the Bronx. She was nude but wrapped in a sleeveless type men's undershirt and a portion of an Army raincoat that were tied around her. The cause of death was determined to be from peritonitis as a result of swallowing some type of sharp object. I would guess from this that the death could have possibly been accidental although then why hide the body? I suppose her parents could have been afraid they would be charged with neglect but that seems illogical to me.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    To note; children raised in extemely stressful, threatening, abusive, neglectful and unloving situations often suffer from what is known as psychosocial dwarfism so I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't a year or two or even three years older than she appeared. It causes smaller stature and can even delay development such as the eruption of permanent teeth and puberty.
    Last edited by STANDREID; 09-04-2015 at 09:31 PM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

I don't see the connection between the two deaths. Maybe they didn't release all the information they had. Im guessing the little girl was never identified either.

For what it's worth, Rodman's Neck has an Army history, which I did not know. I only knew it as the NYPD shooting range. From Wikipedia:

"In 1941, during World War II the U.S. Department of War began to use the area as a Navy base and in 1950, the United States Army drained the site and built barracks for soldiers at Fort Slocum. When the Army finished using the land, the site was turned over to the New York City Police Academy, where the police reestablished the permanent training facility and firing range in 1960."