NY - Suicide or lynch mob? Local mystery troubles

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
from Hudson Register-Star via The Daily Mail:

Enigmatic sign leads to greater mystery

---
Stephen McKay was at LaGuardia Airport, on his way to give talk on black currants in North Dakota, when he got the 7 a.m. call that his partner was dead.

When he first saw what happened, he thought suicide was improbable. The conclusion was that Arturo Duran Salgado tied a T-shirt around his neck to hang himself.
---
“They had me thinking suicide,” he said. “I tried to think of all the reasons he had. I suffered for 5 1/2 weeks, only to have phone calls come in from the Hispanic community.”

Because of his relationship with Salgado, McKay said he has “one foot in each community.”

“Four people said I should not believe it was suicide, that he was murdered,” McKay said.

Then he was told by his neighbor that there was a verbal altercation about 5:30 a.m. outside of the Micosta nursery on July 13, including yelling, shouting and fighting.
---
much more, with pictures, at link above

I am not sure that I agree with this reasoning though:

McKay said there were no suicide notes, and everything in the house was in perfect shape. He has friends who work in psychology who told him that Arturo was not suicidal, because he always talked about the future and the present, not about his past.
“Suicidal people don’t talk about the future; they dwell on the past,” he said. “He was happy with what he was doing. The business was picking up, sales at the farmer’s market were excellent. Everything was positive.”
Arturo, McKay said, was a devout Catholic, who wouldn’t want to commit suicide because it’s considered a sin.

Those don't seem like strong arguments against suicide , imo.

Protection racket? Arturo was being threatened...maybe to employ people who were trafficked? To turn a blind eye to criminal activity his workers were conducting (or being forced to conduct) under cover of his business? Surely not a homophobic hate crime?

If Arturo was indeed wet (soaked?) before the hanging, yeah I'm calling that hinky.

If this was murder, it makes me so mad for Stephen, Arturo, and everyone who loves them. Sounds like a success story cut tragically short. They built a business, a life together, planning a local, sustainable, restaurant. Just the kind of people we need in our communities.

This story makes me sad :(

It sounds suspicious to me, too. If Arturo had wanted to hang himself, a tshirt and a truck mirror probably wouldn't have been the first method to come to mind. Coupled with the alleged wetness of his body, and the possible argument that morning... yeah. Hinky. I have no idea who could be responsible, though, or why. If it were a hate crime, would Arturo have been targeted at his workplace/home? Seems like hate crimes happen more often after a public encounter?

Hoping the story gets picked up by larger media.

I sure do hope that this case gets reopened. I think there are enough questions to do so.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

---
Stephen McKay believes his partner was being threatened by somebody. He said a few weeks before his death, Arturo Duran Salgado asked McKay for $5,000 to plant potatoes with his father; after his death, McKay asked the father about the potato planting and he said he knew nothing about it.

“This makes me feel someone was trying to extort money from him,” McKay said.
---
Or something.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆