Who's Really to Blame???

poco

Reaction score
Good article - (IMO)

No one anticipated Katrina's aftermath would include a false and ignorant tidal wave of calumny against President Bush. Conservatives beware, because the goal is to politically disable the president, and the conservative agenda with him.

A few basic facts will help to detox the political environment:
(1) FEMA is not an agency of first responders. It is not the agency responsible for bringing people bottles of water and trays of fresh food, or transporting them out of harm's way. It also has zero law enforcement authority, or personnel.
These first-responder jobs are the responsibility of local and state government -- city police and firemen, city transportation and emergency services personnel, state police, and ultimately the state National Guard.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/commentary/20050908-090641-5247r.htm

Comments?

Mother Nature is the first to blame. Many people do not like that because there is nothing they can do about Mother Nature. These people crave some type of control in a situation of complete Kaoss. So blaming various government offiicials is the next best thing. We are all responsible. Those of us who elect our officials. Those of us who choose to be our officials, Those who did not evacuate, Those of us who built a great city on a flood plane. We are all guilty but no one is to blame. but we must all be held accountable.

mjak

mjak said:
Mother Nature is the first to blame. Many people do not like that because there is nothing they can do about Mother Nature. These people crave some type of control in a situation of complete Kaoss. So blaming various government offiicials is the next best thing. We are all responsible. Those of us who elect our officials. Those of us who choose to be our officials, Those who did not evacuate, Those of us who built a great city on a flood plane. We are all guilty but no one is to blame. but we must all be held accountable.

mjak

So true!

mjak said:

mjak

AHH, but there are people out there saying that Big Oil is to blame. He caused the global warming that made Mother Nature produce this monster storm! And me and you, we drive around in gas powered cars and use spray deoderant and so, alas, it's our fault too. Third on the list, Bush, cuz he didn't rebuild the levees, it dribbles down to blanco and nagin, and dear god, don't act like any resident had any personal responsibility for the safety of themselves and their families! I actually watched a guy on tv say all this last night. Made me want to puke.

kgeaux said:
AHH, but there are people out there saying that Big Oil is to blame. He caused the global warming that made Mother Nature produce this monster storm! And me and you, we drive around in gas powered cars and use spray deoderant and so, alas, it's our fault too. Third on the list, Bush, cuz he didn't rebuild the levees, it dribbles down to blanco and nagin, and dear god, don't act like any resident had any personal responsibility for the safety of themselves and their families! I actually watched a guy on tv say all this last night. Made me want to puke.
OMG. I'm puking too.
Well without rewriting everything I've written. I'll make mine short and sweet. While I think there is plenty of blame to go around,I place the brunt of it squarely on the Governor and then the mayor.They failed their citizens miserably. They should have followed the plan in place in order to be self sufficient for 72 hours while waiting for federal aid.
I am not afraid to place blame, becasue I think that is the catalyst for change. I know i will take a long look at my own elected officials and what help they have to offer me in the event of disaster.I know I will take the time to become more personally self sufficient.
The effects of a hurricane this magnitude were well documented and that's what first response disaster planning is all about. Knowing the possibilities and being ready, following the plan.
Nothing would have been 100% efffective, but it could have been a lot less catastrophic.

Kgeaux I am having trouble understanding what you have written. who is big oil? and
what is it that makes you want to puke?

mjak

And now there's even people saying that the stories of toxic water are being spun - with the media's help - because somebody wants all the land for oil drilling. This will never end.

mjak said:
Kgeaux I am having trouble understanding what you have written. who is big oil? and
what is it that makes you want to puke?

mjak

Big oil is Halliburton primarily. And Schulumberger, and Shell and BJ Oil and all the other big guys.

I want to puke because there are people who use the storm to promote a certain political agenda. They are stepping on the bodies of those who died to blame the deaths on something they already hate--big oil in this case.

If these opportunists loved big oil companies but hated American car manufacturers, then the blame would be on American car manufacturers for contributing to global warming thus causing big huge monster storms.

kgeaux said:
Big oil is Halliburton primarily. And Schulumberger, and Shell and BJ Oil and all the other big guys.

I want to puke because there are people who use the storm to promote a certain political agenda. They are stepping on the bodies of those who died to blame the deaths on something they already hate--big oil in this case.

If these opportunists loved big oil companies but hated American car manufacturers, then the blame would be on American car manufacturers for contributing to global warming thus causing big huge monster storms.
Okay, I understand now and I join you in wanting to puke!!!

mjak

less0305 said:
And now there's even people saying that the stories of toxic water are being spun - with the media's help - because somebody wants all the land for oil drilling. This will never end.
I guess the massive amounts of poop, leaked fuel oil and decaying human bodies bobbing around in the stew are just window dressing, I guess.

BillyGoatGruff said:
I guess the massive amounts of poop, leaked fuel oil and decaying human bodies bobbing around in the stew are just window dressing, I guess.

I guess. Reminds me of the people who think the aliens are speaking to them through the fillings in their teeth.

less0305 said:
I guess. Reminds me of the people who think the aliens are speaking to them through the fillings in their teeth.
okay I laughed out loud Less :blowkiss:

I am watching a synopsis on Paula Zahn....CNN. It is so apparent that there were many failures.I want it all to be good all feely stories but it isn't. The people who blame the residents for not leaving when they couldn't need to look as much as a week later. When waste from resources that were not utilized. Helicopters sitting on pads, Red Cross not allowed in, people/firefighters sitting in hotel rooms in Atlanta with a 50 dollar a day per diem and not utilized. It is waste and the human toll is terrible.Too big for our britches or too dumb to follow a plan? Or too many appointees with a different agenda? It just sucks.

concernedperson said:
I am watching a synopsis on Paula Zahn....CNN. It is so apparent that there were many failures.I want it all to be good all feely stories but it isn't. The people who blame the residents for not leaving when they couldn't need to look as much as a week later. When waste from resources that were not utilized. Helicopters sitting on pads, Red Cross not allowed in, people/firefighters sitting in hotel rooms in Atlanta with a 50 dollar a day per diem and not utilized. It is waste and the human toll is terrible.Too big for our britches or too dumb to follow a plan? Or too many appointees with a different agenda? It just sucks.
We're a soft country, I'm afraid. We're no longer used to true hardship. We can't picture true disasters happenign on our soil. And because of that blind spot, when true catastrophe strikes, a vast majority of us simply shut down. We have no leaders in our country, on any level, just elected officials. There's a difference.

BillyGoatGruff said:
We're a soft country, I'm afraid. We're no longer used to true hardship. We can't picture true disasters happenign on our soil. And because of that blind spot, when true catastrophe strikes, a vast majority of us simply shut down. We have no leaders in our country, on any level, just elected officials. There's a difference.

Thank you for at least acknowledging my post.I am so worried that I might have to enter the political arena as no one seems to have any knowledge or game plan.It is a sad state of affairs that people who are so much brighter than me can't get it together.I am really worried.

I honestly feel that this was too big for anybody. I really do. I mean, when in our history have we had this magnitude of a disaster. I can't imagine that if a different party were in control of the state or the congress or the presidency, could this have been worked out any differently. I think this is a humbling exeperience for the U.S. Yes, we are vulnerable. We takes hits and then have to rebuild and climb back out of the darkness.

This was huge! Just like any parent with a child....you can be right there within inches of your child and he/she can still be hurt - right before your very eyes. And no matter what you wish you could have done, you couldn't have saved them from the hurt.

Maybe I just had one too many beers tonight and none of that makes sense to you all....but it does to me. My own child lost her front teeth and I was holding her hand when it happened. No matter how close you are and how much you try to protect from hurt...it can still happen. And I think that's what happened here. The country was right there within inches, but couldn't stop the hurt.

Great post Less0305. Nice to see that someone else sees that this was a really BIG thing to happen and we just did the best our country could do. Nobody and nothing in this world is perfect and it's time people start coming together instead of always blaming the next person.

I think its evident that people are coming together by the out reach of support and donations. I also think investigation and accountability will help to insure that more lives may be saved in the case of future disasters. We only learn from mistakes when we know exactly what mistakes were made.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back