Storm Survivors Told To 'Expose Themselves'

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A group of female hurricane survivors were told to show their breasts if they wanted to be rescued, a British holidaymaker has revealed.Ged Scott watched as American rescuers turned their boat around and sped off when the the women refused.

The account was just another example of the horror stories emerging from the hurricane disaster zone.

Mr Scott, 36, of Liverpool, was with his wife and seven-year-old daughter in the Ramada Hotel when the flood waters started rising.

"At one point, there were a load of girls on the roof of the hotel saying 'Can you help us?' and the policemen said 'Show us what you've got' and made signs for them to lift their T-shirts," he told the Liverpool Evening Echo. "When the girls refused, they said `Fine' and motored off down the road in their boat."

At one point he had to wade through filthy water to barricade the hotel doors against looters.

He said the experience made him want to vomit.

Mr Scott also slated the rescue operation, saying police were more interested in taking snapshots of the devastation rather than rescuing the victims.

"I could not have a lower opinion of the authorities, from the police officers on the street right up to George Bush," he said.

"I couldn't describe how bad the authorities were. Just little things like taking photographs of us, as we are standing on the roof waving for help, for their own little snapshot albums"

He added: "The American people saved us. I wish I could say the same for the American authorities."

Mike Brocken, of Chester, said he feared his wife Christine and 18-year-old daughter Stephanie would be raped when they went into the Louisiana Superdome.

The family were also racially abused by other refugees in the stadium.

Mr Brocken, a BBC Radio Merseyside presenter and music lecturer, told the station: "We were going to go inside the Superdome.

"I approached two members of the National Guard and they said to stay outside because they knew it was hell in there.

"One female office basically said under no circumstances take the women in there, because she knew what it was like.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/06092005/140/storm-survivors-told-expose-themselves.html

All the story says is that these were "American rescuers" -- which could mean it was the thugs in a looted boat .... or maybe it was Sean Penn and his entourage. :D

"At one point, there were a load of girls on the roof of the hotel saying 'Can you help us?' and the policemen said 'Show us what you've got' and made signs for them to lift their T-shirts," he told the Liverpool Evening Echo. "When the girls refused, they said `Fine' and motored off down the road in their boat."

I don't know whether the story is true or not - but as I said before, we will hear so many urban legends from this we won't even believe it.

Cypros said:

I HOPE it turns out that it was thugs posing as cops, but it probably was real cops. They must've thought it was Mardi Gras.

Cypros said:
Oops, I flunked my reading comprehension test this morning. Off to get another cup of coffee. :blushing:

Iam glad those girls were smart enough not to get on that boat. It is so sad that they had to pass on an opportunity to be rescued because of the opportunistics behavior of pigs (pun intended).

What a shame, if this story is true. I've been watching New Orleans police superintendent Eddie Compass on CNN over the last week and he seems to be a very devoted and decent guy. He talked about what LE members are going through, living in the streets, working 21 hour days with no food and water while many are dealing with the loss of their own homes, families, or children. On top of all that they are battling thugs who have them outgunned and they have no way to communicate with each other, no way to call for back up when they need it. Two of his officers have committed suicide.

It's too bad that the bad apple stories are predominant in the news while the heroic efforts of the "good guys" are going unmentioned.

If this is true, it's absolutely horrible!!! It doesn't matter if it was people in uniform, military personnel or thugs appearing to be rescuers - I cannot fathom how some people (whoever it was that did this) just seem to have no soul. Sick.

Casshew said:
A group of female hurricane survivors were told to show their breasts if they wanted to be rescued, a British holidaymaker has revealed.Ged Scott watched as American rescuers turned their boat around and sped off when the the women refused.

The account was just another example of the horror stories emerging from the hurricane disaster zone.

Mr Scott, 36, of Liverpool, was with his wife and seven-year-old daughter in the Ramada Hotel when the flood waters started rising.

At one point he had to wade through filthy water to barricade the hotel doors against looters.

He said the experience made him want to vomit.

Mr Scott also slated the rescue operation, saying police were more interested in taking snapshots of the devastation rather than rescuing the victims.

"I could not have a lower opinion of the authorities, from the police officers on the street right up to George Bush," he said.

"I couldn't describe how bad the authorities were. Just little things like taking photographs of us, as we are standing on the roof waving for help, for their own little snapshot albums"

He added: "The American people saved us. I wish I could say the same for the American authorities."

Mike Brocken, of Chester, said he feared his wife Christine and 18-year-old daughter Stephanie would be raped when they went into the Louisiana Superdome.

The family were also racially abused by other refugees in the stadium.

Mr Brocken, a BBC Radio Merseyside presenter and music lecturer, told the station: "We were going to go inside the Superdome.

"I approached two members of the National Guard and they said to stay outside because they knew it was hell in there.

"One female office basically said under no circumstances take the women in there, because she knew what it was like.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/06092005/140/storm-survivors-told-expose-themselves.html
I think the report re police and "show us your *advertiser censored*" is bogus.
The women being told not to enter the SuperDome was probably true, though.

Perhaps as bogus as the Looting Police. Oh wait that is on video :doh:

Yes, there are ‘Bad’ cops. Yes, there are ‘Good’ cops. Yes, we know of at least two NO officers who committed suicide in the days following the hurricane. Yes, we know of many officers who stayed and helped while still unsure of their own families whereabouts or safety.
This story, if true, is abhorrent, but I guarantee you will hear more of these in the future. Good AND bad. True, or false. It’s only just begun.

Mabel said:
It's too bad that the bad apple stories are predominant in the news while the heroic efforts of the "good guys" are going unmentioned.

But the bad stories are what sell and get the ratings. Why, I do not know. I'd rather hear the stories of heroism.

tybee204 said:
Perhaps as bogus as the Looting Police. Oh wait that is on video :doh:
Believe it or not, police have the power to requisition (ie take) supplies during a civil emergency. The looters, however, did not see the difference. If the cops had requisitioned the needed supplies and distributed them in a sane manner, instead of allowing looting to go ahead unimpeded, the lawlessness that resulted in murders and rapes would not have been as extreme.

However, NO does have one of the most corrupt police departments in the US. While I was living there they had the disband their vice squad due to corruption.

I don't believe it because people out there dodging submerged cars, downed powerlines, toppled trees and floating balls of fireants, amongst other obstacles, to pull people off roof tops usually have more to think about than ta-tas.

I vote for *bogus* on this report. I think it's a spoof on the timehonored "show us your t***" signs and catcalls of numerous spring breaks.

Makes for a good headline I guess, if it's true.

I listened this morning to a BBC station just to hear their take on the news of Katrina and some of it was not up to date or even factual. Other times I've listened it was.

SO, WHO KNOW IF THIS REALLY HAPPENED OR NOT, AND WHAT THE REAL DEAL WAS? :crazy:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back