Bush's Friends Get Katrina Cleanup Contracts

Dark Knight

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050910/pl_nm/contracts_dc
(Reuters) Companies with ties to the Bush White House and the former head of FEMA are clinching some of the administration's first disaster relief and reconstruction contracts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

At least two major corporate clients of lobbyist Joe Allbaugh, President George W. Bush's former campaign manager and a former head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, have already been tapped to start recovery work along the battered Gulf Coast.

BillyGoatGruff said:
You expected a French or Dutch company to get the contract?

The companies that have contracted are not the only ones in the entire United States of America who do these types of jobs.

Hopefully a lot of these contracts for services will go up for bid - that is what the government usually does. I think the problem is that this work needs to start immediately as the revival of the city is coming back way sooner that was ever expected! Restaurants in the French Quarter are opening up , a major hotel is opening their restaurant now and lights are coming back on in that area.

It should be done by a fair proces of selection, I do agree.

Thank you Olivia77 for that wonderful photo of the Cathedral. What a sight all of the prayer candles make. Certainly one of faith, hope and charity.

Scandi

Dk can you shorten your link? Its blowing the margins.

Do you approve of President Bush's handling of Katrina's aftermath? * 34357 responses

Yes
14%

No
83%

I don't know
3%

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9280375/site/newsweek/

Eye of the Political Storm
A new NEWSWEEK poll suggests President Bush could become Katrina’s next casualty.

By Marcus Mabry
Newsweek
Updated: 1:31 p.m. ET Sept. 10, 2005
Sept. 10, 2005 - Hurricane Katrina claimed her first political casualty Friday. Michael Brown, the head of FEMA, the federal disaster readiness and response agency, was sidelined from the largest disaster relief project in the nation’s history. Brown was recalled to Washington by his boss, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff. But a new NEWSWEEK Poll suggests the post-Katrina political storm may just be rising. And her ultimate casualty could be President George W. Bush.

scandi said:
Hopefully a lot of these contracts for services will go up for bid - that is what the government usually does. I think the problem is that this work needs to start immediately as the revival of the city is coming back way sooner that was ever expected! Restaurants in the French Quarter are opening up , a major hotel is opening their restaurant now and lights are coming back on in that area.

Thank you Olivia77 for that wonderful photo of the Cathedral. What a sight all of the prayer candles make. Certainly one of faith, hope and charity.

Scandi

That is wonderful news that you posted! Can you point me towards some links that talk about it, I need a dose of good news right now after the last article I read about the pets in New Orleans. :(

I am happy you like the photo, looking at it reminds me of the peace I felt at the exact moment it was taken by my FI, I look forward to going back soon and lighting one of my own.
:blowkiss:

President Bush also suspended the Bacon Davis Act in Louisiana, Mississippi amd Alabama .

http://www.al.com/business/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/business/1126343896299240.xml&coll=1

Bush suspends pay law in storm zone
Saturday, September 10, 2005
By BRIAN LAWSON
Times Business Writer brianl@htimes.com

President Bush issued a proclamation Thursday suspending the minimum pay scale requirements for federal contractors working in areas affected by Hurricane Katrina.

In making the decision to suspend provisions of the Davis-Bacon Act, Bush wrote to Congress that the wage imposed under the 1931 law will "increase the cost to the Federal Government of providing Federal assistance to these areas."

U.S. Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., ranking member on the House Education and Workforce Committee, said in a statement the action doesn't ensure lower government costs, only lower wages for workers. Miller said the prevailing wage for construction work in New Orleans was about $9 per hour.

tybee204 said:
Do you approve of President Bush's handling of Katrina's aftermath? * 34357 responses

Yes
14%

No
83%

I don't know
3%

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9280375/site/newsweek/

Eye of the Political Storm
A new NEWSWEEK poll suggests President Bush could become Katrina’s next casualty.

By Marcus Mabry
Newsweek
Updated: 1:31 p.m. ET Sept. 10, 2005
Sept. 10, 2005 - Hurricane Katrina claimed her first political casualty Friday. Michael Brown, the head of FEMA, the federal disaster readiness and response agency, was sidelined from the largest disaster relief project in the nation’s history. Brown was recalled to Washington by his boss, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff. But a new NEWSWEEK Poll suggests the post-Katrina political storm may just be rising. And her ultimate casualty could be President George W. Bush.
An AP-Ipsos poll has the President's overall approval rating at only 39%, the lowest ever for him, and close to the post-Watergate Nixon numbers, I believe.

scandi said:

Scandi
I think the above businesses are engaging in denial disguised as optimism. Who the hell are they going to serve besides the troops and clean up crews for the next year or so?

BillyGoatGruff said:
I think the above businesses are engaging in denial disguised as optimism. Who the hell are they going to serve besides the troops and clean up crews for the next year or so?

Ditto. I love the city more than most but I am not engaging in toxic waste. Afterall, I have my own issues to deal with.

scandi said:
Hopefully a lot of these contracts for services will go up for bid - that is what the government usually does.
Many government contracts are awarded as Indefinite Quantity Contracts to companies that compete against other companies to win them, then the task orders are issued as needed. It's very possible that's the case here.

BillyGoatGruff said:

Some locals on another board are saying otherwise... Like after September 11th, there are quite a few people mobilizing to get parts of the city up and running again with the convention center saying it will be able to host groups in six months. With all the negativity going around, I'm going to engage in a little "denial disguised as optimism" and hope that for their sake business are able to get up and running sooner than a year from now.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back