bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
WVeWY9w.png

Terry Cornell

Case Number: W-68458

Date: Body discovered September 7th, 1975
Suspect: Unknown

Synopsis: The body of Terry Cornell was discovered on Sunday, September 7th, 1975, lying in a culvert in the 100 block of McDonald Rd. She was last seen walking in the 100 block of Glenwood Ave. after leaving a bar in the Elmwood section of Syracuse.

Anyone with information regarding this investigation is urged to contact the Syracuse Police Department Cold Case Homicide Squad at (315) 442-5234 or by e-mail at coldcasesquad@syracusepolice.org. All tips will be kept confidential.

http://www.syracusepolice.org/listing.asp?orgId=182

Cold case homicide victim's sister: 'Today, we her family, are still haunted by this horrendous crime'
Jacob Pucci jpucci@syracuse.com
on September 10, 2015 at 1:39 PM, updated September 10, 2015 at 7:10 PM

zYefohK.jpg

A composite photo made in 1975 of a suspect in Terry Cornell's homicide.
This suspect was seen driving a dark blue 2-door vehicle that was seen in the area on the night Cornell was killed.
Syracuse Police Department

cQ0Nhsm.jpg

A composite photo made in 1975 describing a teenager seen walking in the area the night Terry Cornell was killed.
Syracuse Police Department

Police are hoping two newly-released composite photos of suspects in Cornell's death will spur on new leads.

Murfitt described one of the men as a white male, around 45 to 50 years old at the time with a receding hairline. He was seen driving a two-door dark blue vehicle in the area at the time Cornell was last seen.

The second sketch shows a six-foot-tall white man, between 17 and 18 years old at the time, with medium build and light brown shoulder-length hair. He was seen walking in the area where Cornell was last seen that morning, Murfitt said.

"Terry had every right to walk home that night," Murfitt said. "She did nothing wrong."

Anyone with information about Cornell's death or any other of the more than 70 cold cases the Syracuse Police Department continues to investigate is urged to call police at 315-442-5234, or leave a tip on the department's website. All tips will be kept confidential.

Police, family seek public's help in unsolved 1975 Syracuse homicide
By Ken Sturtz | ksturtz@syracuse.com
on September 09, 2015 at 4:56 PM, updated September 09, 2015 at 5:26 PM

[...]
Around 12:30 p.m. on Sunday Sept. 7, 1975, a passerby discovered Cornell's body in a culvert off the south side of the 100 block of McDonald Road, near Glenwood Avenue, in the city of Syracuse.

The 20-year-old had been stabbed several times in the head and chest.

Cornell was discovered by a passerby just nine hours after she was last seen alive. Police said she had left the Avalon Bar on foot after refusing a ride from friends and was last seen around 3:20 a.m. near the corner of Glenwood Avenue and Craddock Street.

Police conducted about 1,500 interviews during their investigation -- her case file takes up more than three feet in a file drawer -- but the case eventually went cold.

There is no personal information about Terry in those articles.

700-1,500 people interviewed and nothing?

My questions are:

*What neighborhood did she live in?

*Was she living with anybody?

*Did she have a boyfriend?

*Did she work? If so, where? Past places of employment?

*What high school did she attend?

*Was she or had she been attending college? If so, which one?

I would think that if LE released some personal info about her it might jog someone's memory. MOO

Friday, September 27, 2013 2:48 PM
Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

Terry Cornell, 20, was last seen in 1975 while walking alone on her way to her Burnet Park Drive home in Syracuse after leaving friends near a South Avenue restaurant. She refused a ride home at 3:30 a.m. She walked west along Glenwood Avenue. Cornell was found the next morning near Corcoran High School, stabbed six times in the head and chest. A 20-year-old man found her face-down and barefoot in a culvert with her pink shirt pulled above her breasts.
http://photos.syracuse.com/post-standard/2013/09/unsolvedzip_4.html

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/central-...-for-resolution-in-decades-old-cold-case.html

Syracuse's cold cases leave warm hearts aching
Jennifer L. Owens | Guest columnist By Jennifer L. Owens | Guest columnist
on September 29, 2012 at 6:02 AM

Syracuse, N.Y. - "We just got done eating Sunday dinner when there was a knock at the door," said Kim Cornell. A police officer, a priest and a nun were at the door. "They asked us kids to go out in the kitchen. All of a sudden I heard this horrible scream and cry from my mom. We all started crying even before we knew exactly what happened."

The wail from Kim's mother pierced the Cornell home more than 37 years ago this month. Exactly what happened is only partially known to this day.

[...]
“If this really got solved, that would be a way for my sister to be at rest. There would be some closure and it would be off of all of our chests,” said Cornell. “To know that this person who killed my sister is no longer out there, that justice is done. That’s all we want.”

[...]
“Maybe the person who did this is getting old, and maybe they will want to get this off of their chest before they die,” said Cornell. “I would say to that person, ‘Tell someone, so that my sister can rest in peace.’”

[...]
“My sister didn’t have the chance to have her own kids, to know her nieces and nephews,” said Cornell. “The person who did this took that all away from her, and I would want to ask him why he did this to my sister.”

Syracuse detectives - 315-442-5234.

There is no personal information about Terry in those articles.

700-1,500 people interviewed and nothing?

My questions are:

*What neighborhood did she live in?

*Was she living with anybody?

*Did she have a boyfriend?

*Did she work? If so, where? Past places of employment?

*What high school did she attend?

*Was she or had she been attending college? If so, which one?

I would think that if LE released some personal info about her it might jog someone's memory. MOO
Those are good points, Sula. Usually, more background information is released. I can only surmise that after reviewing the case over 40 years, the investigators have concluded that the evidence points to a random attack by a perp unknown to Terry prior to September 1975. In that respect, it would not be different than some of the hundreds of other cases we've discussed on WS. In fact, a California case with somewhat similar circumstances is close to a resolution after the victim's remains were discovered this month.

Sandra McGee's murder was random. She left a lounge and picked up a hitchhiker. Stopped by her home with the guy, and told her brother she was going to drop him off at his residence. She never was seen alive again. That was in 1982. Her remains were discovered last week, on Sept 2, and ID'd just yesterday.

UPDATE:
Monterey Police Lt. Jeff Jackson confirms that the home where McGee's remains were discovered was the former residence of Alfred Powell, who lived in the garage.

Jackson says the remains weren't positively identified until Sept. 9, as they had to be sent to the Santa Cruz County Coroner's Office for an archaeological analysis.

After the body was discovered, investigators undertook a full excavation of the yard. Jackson says more evidence was uncovered, but isn't at liberty to discuss what.

"The circumstance that [Powell] lived there is definitely a clue," Jackson says.

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com...cle_82f78068-57e5-11e5-9c16-4f58cf5db7fe.html

lYOcoIQ.jpg

1) 3:15 A.M.- Terry leaves the Avalon Bar on South St.

2) 3:20 A.M. -Terry is last seen alive at 200 Glenwood Ave

3) 109 Strathmore Ave - Victim's first sandal found

4) 211 Strathmore Ave - Victim's second sandal found

5) Sept 7, 1975, 12:43 P.M. - Cornell's body found at 100 McDonald Road

http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index..._we_her_family_are_still_haunted_by_this.html

Looking at the map everything looks far apart. But in reality I assume everything is close from where she left to where she was found?......I would bet someone followed her on foot from the bar after hearing her refusing a ride. It was closing time when she left and someone in the bar followed her out on foot and abducted her while she was walking. That got about a block away she lost one sandal, further on down she lost the other and then was killed where found. I don't think she was taken by car by the way the shoes were found. They don't seem like they were tossed out of the vehicle, and they were found in the direction she was walking. She may had been somewhat intoxicated and they didn't want her to walk home, but she insisted. She may have had an altercation sometime that evening with another patron inside the bar that was not very friendly, and this person got angry and followed her and killed her for what had happened inside the bar. But just speculating on all...They say there testing things again for a possible DNA profile, so hopefully that will make a difference.

add on ...
When I first read about this thread, I thought of that other girl from the 70s, i think it was, that was found in front of a building on a campus (She was returning some books she borrowed if i remember correctly) placed beneath or behind the bushes in front of the building she was found at. I think she was also stabbed or just beating don't remember. Not implying a possible connection, I don't even think it was the same state, but just something i thought about when i read this and wanted to add it.

cornell1.png

Terry Cornell
Homicide Case Number: W-68458
Height: 5’7”
Weight: 135 lbs.
Date: Body discovered September 7th, 1975
Suspect: Unknown
Synopsis: The body of Terry Cornell was discovered on Sunday, September 7th, 1975, lying in a culvert in the 100 block of McDonald Rd. She was last seen walking in the 100 block of Glenwood Ave. after leaving a bar in the Elmwood section of Syracuse.

Anyone with information regarding this investigation is urged to contact the Syracuse Police Department Cold Case Homicide Squad at (315) 442-5234 or by e-mail at coldcasesquad@syracusepolice.org. All tips will be kept confidential.

LINK:

Terry Cornell at Syracuse Police Department - Syracuse, NY 13202

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong