Youtube "Dear Fat People" Video Sparks Controversy

gitana1

Verified Attorney
Reaction score
I haven't seen a thread on this but it's been in the news for a few days. A self-proclaimed comedy vlogger created a youtube video about fat people and how "fat shaming" doesn't exist and is just a thing created by slobby fat people. She was briefly censored, claims "comedy" broke the internet and that it's just satire- although she claims that fat people or formerly fat people have thanked her for speaking the truth.

She is a former cheerleader and a dancer it appears. It looks like she just lost a job on a film she was set to choreograph about teens and body image acceptance.

There are people very offended by her video but many in comments indicate that she's just speaking the truth. She's been defiant about not backing down from her stance.

What do you all think?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/michaelblackmon/youtuber-fat-shaming-video-responses#.kd1v5Z5EA

http://m.usmagazine.com/celebrity-n...ed-from-movie-after-fat-shaming-video-2015119

I haven't seen a thread on this it it's been in the news for a few days. Self-proclaimed comedy vlogger created a youtube video about fat people and how "fat shaming" doesn't exist and is just a thing created by slobby fat people. She was briefly censored, claims "comedy" broke the internet and that it's just satire- although she claims that fat people or formerly fat people have thanked her for speaking the truth.

She is a former cheerleader and a dancer it appears. It looks like she just lost a job on a film she was set to choreograph about teens and body image acceptance.

There are people very offended by her video but many in comments indicate that she's just speaking the truth. She's been defiant about not backing down from her stance.

What do you all think?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/michaelblackmon/youtuber-fat-shaming-video-responses#.kd1v5Z5EA

I think that those who are offended need not watch the videos!

I can understand how the people making the film wouldn't want her associated with it. If she were talking directly to someone, especially a friend, family member or coworker, it would be different. Hurtful and harmful. Like if you're a teenager and this is your mom or dad talking to you? That could cause some serious damage.

She gave herself her own platform and imo showed herself to be ignorant and judgmental. If there's any truth in what she said it's not worth digging through the old jokes and stereotypes to find.

I expected funny, but it was like watching 'fat people hate' from reddit come to life.

I haven't seen a thread on this but it's been in the news for a few days. A self-proclaimed comedy vlogger created a youtube video about fat people and how "fat shaming" doesn't exist and is just a thing created by slobby fat people. She was briefly censored, claims "comedy" broke the internet and that it's just satire- although she claims that fat people or formerly fat people have thanked her for speaking the truth.

What do you all think?

http://m.usmagazine.com/celebrity-n...ed-from-movie-after-fat-shaming-video-2015119

This chick is a clueless, attention-seeking beotch.

She talks about shaming obese people until they're shamed into losing weight. One of the reasons people seek comfort in food is because of shame.

Shame is not, never has been, and never will be an effective method to accomplish ANYTHING.

My older sister has struggled with obesity her entire life. As children, we were shamed by our parents, even though we were all well-behaved and always got good grades in school.

This chick might think she's funny because she pokes fun at "fat" people, but she just comes across as a desperate skinny beotch who probably starves herself and then probably binge eats and then probably exercise-purges and who's probably terrified of becoming the brunt of her own lame joke.

Holla - Nicole - eating disorders are nothing to laugh about.

I don't think her channel should have been taken down. It did start out kind of like a public service (health wise) and I thought that might be powerful and helpful,but then it got more hateful as it went on.
I did find it mildly funny when she said they smell like sausages but for the most part it was just mean spirited. Well to be honest the sausage comment was mean as well.
I think it's rude to comment directly to a person be they thin or overweight,but this was more in general to whoever might be listening/watching.
Bottom line it wasn't funny or helpful. IMO

I don't think her channel should have been taken down. It did start out kind of like a public service (health wise) and I thought that might be powerful and helpful,but then it got more hateful as it went on.
I did find it mildly funny when she said they smell like sausages but for the most part it was just mean spirited. Well to be honest the sausage comment was mean as well.
I think it's rude to comment directly to a person be they thin or overweight,but this was more in general to whoever might be listening/watching.
Bottom line it wasn't funny or helpful. IMO

But aren't public service announcements supposed to be sponsored by experts or an agency that deals with a certain issue? I mean, who is this broad to be lecturing anyone about health? What degrees does she have, or personal experience with health and weight issues does she have that would justify her giving some sort of "helpful" lecture to anyone? And I don't seem to recall the PSA's that encourage people to feed their kids more fruits and veggies or encourage people to exercise, using insults, and juvenile ones at that, as part of the campaign.

I didn't get too far in the video. The woman is shrill with annoying facial expressions and mannerisms. I found her tone to be taunting and high school mean-girlish. I can imagine she was quite the obnoxious bully as a kid.

You know, I love comedy. Often even when it is offensive because as long as it is funny, even in regards to sensitive issues, the offensiveness can often be forgiven, if there is actual humor involved and the topic is tackled with finesse and a lack of arrogance.

But this just wasn't funny to me. It seemed more like a rant than a bit.

No, I thought what I watched was shrill and without any comedic value. I didn't hear the sausage "joke" but I don't have to. Maybe when I was 6 I might have thought it funny to say that a whole group of people smell like sausages.

And again, I don't think I'm easily offended. I love most comedy. I also have cultural roots in a culture that is totally not PC, and likes to joke about people's quirks or traits and pretty much no one gets upset. But this just doesn't seem to be comedy to me. And she doesn't seem to be a comedian. Not at all.

However, I am very much against censorship. IMO, Youtube never should've taken down her video. Not for a moment. Let the public record of who she is - her cruelty, immaturity, mediocrity and lack of talent - remain as a permanent testament as to the nature of this woman, so that any future employer or mate can review and decide for themselves.

P.S. I'm a skinny chic, if that matters.

One of my favorite female comedians is Lisa Lampanelli. She makes fun of everyone and she's NOT politically correct. I think one of the reasons I love her is because she blasts a huge hole through political correctness, which I think we could all use a dose of every now and then.

When Lisa Lampanelli makes fun of people, I can laugh, because I know she's not doing it to be mean-spirited. She's not doing it to be a beotch.

This Nicole chick thinks she's funny, but she's not. She doesn't understand the first thing about humor. But she's got the mean girl thang down pat.

But aren't public service announcements supposed to be sponsored by experts or an agency that deals with a certain issue? I mean, who is this broad to be lecturing anyone about health? What degrees does she have, or personal experience with health and weight issues does she have that would justify her giving some sort of "helpful" lecture to anyone? And I don't seem to recall the PSA's that encourage people to feed their kids more fruits and veggies or encourage people to exercise, using insults, and juvenile ones at that, as part of the campaign.

I didn't get too far in the video. The woman is shrill with annoying facial expressions and mannerisms. I found her tone to be taunting and high school mean-girlish. I can imagine she was quite the obnoxious bully as a kid.

You know, I love comedy. Often even when it is offensive because as long as it is funny, even in regards to sensitive issues, the offensiveness can often be forgiven, if there is actual humor involved and the topic is tackled with finesse and a lack of arrogance.

But this just wasn't funny to me. It seemed more like a rant than a bit.

No, I thought what I watched was shrill and without any comedic value. I didn't hear the sausage "joke" but I don't have to. Maybe when I was 6 I might have thought it funny to say that a whole group of people smell like sausages.

And again, I don't think I'm easily offended. I love most comedy. I also have cultural roots in a culture that is totally not PC, and likes to joke about people's quirks or traits and pretty much no one gets upset. But this just doesn't seem to be comedy to me. And she doesn't seem to be a comedian. Not at all.

However, I am very much against censorship. IMO, Youtube never should've taken down her video. Not for a moment. Let the public record of who she is - her cruelty, immaturity, mediocrity and lack of talent - remain as a permanent testament as to the nature of this woman, so that any future employer or mate can review and decide for themselves.

P.S. I'm a skinny chic, if that matters.

I was thinking more along the line of it started out being helpful to a young person that really didn't stop to consider the health implications of being overweight.
Of course the video quickly went downhill after a few mentions of health related problems associated with carrying extra weight.
The reason the sausage comment struck me as MILDLY funny was that it was so off the wall and unexpected. I mean who would say such a thing or even think it?
Obviously people don't smell of sausage. Just an unusual comment that took me by surprise more than anything.
I'm also on the thin side and find it just as uncomfortable when people make mention of it or think that I don't consume enough food. IMO

Nicole Arbour, if you want to learn to be truly funny while making fun of people, study Lisa Lampanelli.

WARNING: Offensive language in the following video.

[video=youtube;J0ucC1laFRE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ucC1laFRE[/video]

I started the video I think last week. She was super annoying from the getgo. I couldn't understand why she had so many followers :/ Anyways I only got a few seconds in, and I skipped a little but I love comedy and I love to laugh but I didn't find her funny. But maybe she is someones kind of funny, IDK. Honestly I can't comment to much on the video since I didn't really watch it, but what I did watch I didn't find funny. I agree with others, she is a attention seeker, and will say anything. I wonder how she is fairing, I didn't realize that they removed her video.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back