Computer problems

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
I have two.
1) I will be going along fine and then suddenly the mouse will take off with a life of its own. Start menu comes up, and also a browser wtih the start info in it (I don't know what you call it- the page shows all of the files in your start menu). With that one, I just have to wait until the mouse stops then can close the start page and go on. Then different times my mouse will suddenly stick to a page. When that happens I haven't found anything that will unstick it. I usually have to restart the computer.

2) I cannot get into any secure site. I cannot register for newspapers for instance if they use a secure site. I can't check my email.

Please, I know nothing about computers except how to turn it on and get on internet. I need directions like you would give a third grader.

The secure site issue is your internet explorer settings.

THe mouse most likely is your driver..

So first things first..........

What are you using? Windows XP?

and what kind of internet connection do you have? Also what brand is the mouse?

Compaq mouse
Windows XP
Internet Explorer ver: 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.050301-1526

MK left a message for you in the thread barngoddess started in the up to the minute forum.

HI ok...

FOr internet exploror and secure sites..........

DO this ..........
Open Internet Exploror From the top choose TOols then at the bottom of that list choose options

The third tab from the left in that window is the Privacy Tab.

Choose that and lower the sliding bar to medium.

Then click Apply.
THen close your IE reopen it and try to visit a site you know you can't get to.

FOr your mouse....
Is it the one that came with your computer? (like a purchased bundled compaq computer?)

Right click the MY computr ICON on your desk top then choose the hard ware tab then choose device manager
GO thtough the list till you find your mouse.
Should say mice an other pointing devices...CLick the negative sign so that you see your mouse..

THen right click it and choose properties...
Then choose troubleshooting
It should walk you through the list of things to try.
If that doesn't work let me know

If so do the following........

Thanks MaryKate.
I tried the IE>tools> options>privacy. Then tried to check my email. Still not working.
I found the troubleshoot for the mouse and did the first one. Waiting to see if that will help. I looked at the others and if I have to uninstall the driver and and reinstall, I think I will probably have to contact compaq to walk me through that. So we will see if this part works anyway.

I do appreciate your helping though. I hate computer trouble almost as much as I do car trouble.

FOR IE

It could also be your FIrewall or virus protection. SO disable each one and then try. there shxould be an icon in the lower left corner for each just right click and choose disable.
ALso goint through the same steps as previous listed for IE only choose the last tab in the options window. advanced.

go down the list and under Security Ignore the top 3 boxes and check all the others
restart your computer

Also compaq has a forum.
You me able to figure out the mouse issue there.

Or you can right click the mouse in the hardware window and remove it then restart it should install automatically

LOLOL ;)

SHHHH your not suppose to tell!!:blowkiss:

Ok, I got brave and removed the mouse driver and did the restarts. Normally I am :chicken: about removing things. Seems to be doing better, I will watch it.

XP uses plug n play, it knows the mouse and will install the system driver to provide full function for the mouse. This is a genertic driver if the mouse if not microsoft and it is part of the operating system.......

I don't know if you have a graphic problem, a problem with the motherboard or if the mouse needs to be cleaned.

Since this is a new problem, I would suggest the mouse gets a good cleaning as dirt, dust, and grease affect the rollers and balls.

This is the most common problem for mouses, if the inner ball is worn, the mouse needs to be replaced.

I have never installed a driver for any mouse as it is a standard I/O device, it is a hot swap device, upon start up the OS installs the drivers it needs as a default for the device. It is default I/O.......

But the problem could be: the mouse needs cleaning, the graphics card is using windows resoucres and needs to de-acclerated, the grounding of the system is affected by an external force, or the "beta" program.....

But upon installation of a mouse - windows does not ask for "new hardware found" and for the driver to be installed, it recognizes the mouse because of where it is plugged into the back, checks the mouse, and allocates DMA, IRQ and all necessary information for it to work.

Now if you are using and old windows program, I would say that he driver may be the problem but not with the newer system like XP. it will install its own OS driver....

I am assuming that the mouse is not optical......

But the most obvious problem for erratic mouse that are roller based and not optical, is that it needs a good cleaning, if the mouse is cleaned and still not working it could be other problems with the configuration of the mouse to grounding to graphics accleration which take control away from the mouse.

You can toubleshoot these problems by plugging the mouse into a different comouter and see if it behaves or not, if it does not behave, it is the mouse not the system.......

I am not going into great detail, as I am sure sometimes when I explain "computer" problems to people, I can see that "glazed" look in their eyes.

But needless to say, my very first computer textbook was 1000 pages long and that was only the basics......very basics.........

To uninstall a "beta" (read testing) program that is affecting access to web sites, go to Control Panel - add remove programs and remove the program,
YOU MUST do this, as it is the only way to remove all files from the program and not delete any "shared" files as this will affect your OS.

I certainly hope that Microsoft has not locked you into any agreement for testing purposes to "take advantge" of this program.

I cleaned a mouse once, only once, then it wore down and I replaced it with an opticall mouse(again no driver required) and it is SOOOOO much better then the old ball and roller type.

I used the mouse for about 3 years.....no poblem......

Now I use an optical mouse, It is cost effective, in CDA less then 20.00 ........no problems ever with that mouse.....

Just a suggestion........

If you want to know how to check the status of the mouse, let me know......

I can plug any mouse into any W2K or XP, reboot and it will work just fine. Windows does the rest automatically.......

A last idea, virus programs(hint, hint) sometimes affect the mouse.

I only participated in one beta program. Nothing but problems, I had to tweak it, to get functionality back again. Never again will I participate in beta testing never.......especially Microsoft.

Beta = test............ , microsoft is "using" you to determine all of the problems with the software.....before it is released for the market, and it is cheaper then to test it(sort of) for bugs themselves......

Think of clinical testing........

You are the computer "gunina" pig.....

MaryKate said:
LOLOL ;)

SHHHH your not suppose to tell!!:blowkiss:

WORD IS OUT NOW!
laughingmybumoffwoman.gif
lol7.gif
JovinMaxpoint.gif

Members online

Online statistics

Members online