Race: White
Age Now: 5
Sex: Female
Weight: 48 lbs (22 kg)
Hair: Brown
Missing From: COLUMBUS, OH
United States

Circumstances:
The child was last seen at home around midnight on December 7, 2004. At approximately 8 a.m. she was discovered missing and was believed to be in the company of an adult male. This male has since been located but the child's whereabouts remain unknown. The child was last seen wearing a red and orange striped shirt and purple spandex pants.

Printable Poster from NCMEC:
http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewPoster&caseNum=1003707&orgPrefix=NCMC&searchLang=en_US

Mattress Removed From Missing Girl's Home
Amber Alert Called Off

UPDATED: December 8, 2004

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Police removed a mattress from the home of a missing Madison Township girl early Wednesday morning in hopes of gathering more clues as to her whereabouts.

Emily Rimel, 5, was last seen at about midnight Tuesday at her apartment in the 4400 block of Reinbeau Drive, prompting a statewide Amber Alert.

The alert was called off Tuesday night because the person who authorities first believed took the girl was accounted for and cleared by police, NBC 4's Teresa Garcia reported.

Rimel is 3 feet tall and about 48 pounds. She is white and has brown hair and eyes. She was wearing a red and orange striped shirt and purple spandex pants.

The FBI and members of the Center For Missing and Exploited Children were joining local law enforcement in the search for the girl.

Rimel was reportedly at home with her mother, Jane Rimel; her mother's live-in fiancee, Brent Copley; and an acquaintance of the boyfriend, Lindsey Bruce, NBC 4's Natalie Walston reported.

Police searched Bruce's Fairwood Avenue home Tuesday afternoon. He volunteered to be questioned by police following the girl's disappearance, Walston reported.

"He forgot to lock the door," Jane Rimel said. "I don't know if somebody came in and took her, but I don't think Lindsey had anything to do with it."

Jane Rimel discovered Emily and Bruce, 23, were missing at about 8 a.m., when she awakened.

Bruce was reportedly visiting Copley on Monday night. Jane Rimel went to work her overnight shift. At one point, Bruce reportedly left the apartment. Copley and Jane Rimel's 2-year-old child went to sleep in one of the rooms, while Emily went to sleep alone in another bedroom, Walston reported.

Bruce told police he stopped by the apartment at 3 a.m., saw no one was awake, and left. "Regardless of what other people were saying, I don't think (Bruce) would ever do anything to harm either one of my children," Jane Rimel said.

Now the Rimel family is begging for someone to return the Madison Elementary School student, Walston reported.

"(Emily) wouldn't have left by herself," Jane Rimel said. "She's scared to be by herself. I don't know why my daughter's missing. I don't know who has her. I just want her to come home."

Anyone with information is asked to contact Sgt. James Glasure of the Madison Township Police Department at (614) 989-3169.

Watch NBC 4 and refresh nbc4i.com for continuing coverage.

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/3980331/detail.html

Poor little girl..
So the moms boyfriend claims he left the home, leaving two children alone in the middle of the night ??
Something sounds strange...

lisag said:
Poor little girl..
So the moms boyfriend claims he left the home, leaving two children alone in the middle of the night ??
Something sounds strange...

The way I read it the boyfriend (Copley) and the smaller child went to sleep, and the boyfriend's friend (Bruce) left the home. The BF's friend later returned and saw everyone was asleep. Here's the info from the article:

Bruce was reportedly visiting Copley on Monday night. Jane Rimel went to work her overnight shift. At one point, Bruce reportedly left the apartment. Copley and Jane Rimel's 2-year-old child went to sleep in one of the rooms, while Emily went to sleep alone in another bedroom, Walston reported.

Doesn't sound good. Poor little girl...

Ok, I miss read it...
Still, something sounds funny...

Missing Girl Case Being Treated As Kidnapping
Mom's Boyfriend Has Taken Lie Detector Test

UPDATED: December 9, 2004

COLUMBUS -- Police say they're treating the disappearance of 5-year-old Columbus area girl as a kidnapping after two days of searching with dogs and helicopters failed to turn up any trace of her.

Emily Rimel vanished from her bed in her home in the Columbus suburb of Madison Township early Tuesday morning.

Her mother's boyfriend, Brent Copley, said he put the child to bed shortly after midnight and she was gone when her mother, Jane, returned home from her overnight job.

Madison Township police say Copley has undergone polygraph and voice-stress analysis testing since the disappearance. The results are being analyzed by the FBI.

Authorities took a mattress, cushions, sheets and towels from the apartment Wednesday as possible evidence.

Warrants to search the car of Copley's friend, Lindsey Bruce, who had stayed at the apartment from Monday night until early Tuesday, and other undisclosed locations also were filed.

Rimel is 3 feet tall and about 48 pounds. She is white and has brown hair and eyes. She was wearing a red and orange striped shirt and purple spandex pants.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/3983819/detail.html

Who puts a 5 year old school child to bed at midnight? Mine goes to bed at 8:30.

Something isn't right about this whole thing. what, I don't know though.

I agree something is STINKY here!!!!! :snooty:

New Hotline For Missing Child

December 12 2004

Police are treating the disappearance of 5-year-old Emily Rimel as a kidnapping after spending 48 hours searching for her with dogs and a helicopter.

The intensive search by authorities failed to yield any trace of the girl, who vanished from her apartment early Tuesday (12/7/04). Her mother's boyfriend, Brent Copley, said she put the child to bed at 12:30 a.m. Tuesday and when she returned from work later that morning, her daughter was gone.

Police in Madison Township said Copley had undergone a polygraph test and voice-stress testing since the disappearance. The FBI was analyzing the results, according to a broadcast wire report.

Authorities armed with search warrants took a mattress, cushions, sheets and towels from the apartment on Wednesday (12/8/04). Police said no one has been ruled out as a suspect nor has a motive been determined. The girl's disappearance was initially treated as a Amber Alert within in Ohio.

On Friday, authorities announced the creation of a new hotline to take any tips from the public about Emily’s disappearance.

"Madison Township Police Department would like to announce the creation of a hotmail number designated specifically for the Emily's case,” Madison Township Police Chief Greg Ryan announced. “A reward is being established for anyone that provides information to law enforcement which leads to identification, arrest and indictment of the person or persons responsible for the Emily’s disappearance as well as her safe return."

Missing Girl Hotline:
(614) 462-5502
Calls taken 24 hours a day.

People can also mail information to:
P.O. Box 7
Groveport, OH 43125

http://www.onnnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=2680303&nav=LQlCU6YX

Clothes Could Help Find Missing Girl

December 13 2004

Tuesday marks one week since 5-year-old Emily Rimel disappeared from her home in Madison Township, on the southeast side of Franklin County.

It was an excruciating week for Emily's family. Investigators are now hoping a doll will help lead them to her.

It’s not a doll that belonged to Emily. Authorities took Emily's parents to a store over the weekend to buy clothes resembling those she was wearing when she was put to bed last Monday night. (12/6)

“Over the weekend, we took the family to the stores to try to as closely match the description of what she went to bed with that night and this is what we purchased,” Madison Township Police Chief Greg Ryan demonstrated, showing the clothed doll.

The outfit they wound up with consists of a pair of purple knit stretch pants and a lavender cotton knit shirt with a ballerina on the front and the word "cutie" underneath.

“We can stand here and describe something. But when actually when we show it to you and someone sees it, they might...click in their head that, ‘yeah, I did see that,’” Chief Ryan explained.

Authorities are asking anyone who may have spotted the clothing matching the description not to touch it. Instead, call their tip line at 614-462-5502.

People can also mail tips to P.O. Box 7, Groveport, Ohio 43125.

Link with photo of doll:

http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2688192

i can understand the logic of using the doll so that her description is more visual. but why put the doll in a lavendar shirt when emily was wearing a red and orange striped one? the striped shirt would definately be memorable!

Missing Girl's Description Changes
Rimel Last Seen Early Last Week

December 14, 2004

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Madison Township investigators have changed the description of what a missing 5-year-old girl was wearing before her disappearance, NBC 4 reported.

On Monday, Madison Township police showed a 3-foot-tall mannequin that was dressed similar to what Emily Rimel was wearing before she disappeared.

Investigators said she was not wearing an orange and purple shirt, as first reported, but instead a lavender shirt and purple pants.

Officials hope that the mannequin will help people recognize the girl.

Emily was last seen at about midnight Dec. 7 at her family's apartment in the 4400 block of Reinbeau Drive.

She is 3 feet tall and about 48 pounds. She is white and has brown hair and brown eyes.

Police are still looking for clues. They have questioned the family, including Emily's mother's boyfriend, Brent Copley.

Copley was given a polygraph test. No suspects have been identified.

Anyone with information on Emily should call (614) 462-5502.

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/3995571/detail.html

Reward Offered In Girl's Disappearance

December 14, 2004

It's been one week since 5-year-old Emily Rimel was reported missing by her mother, and now there's a reward for her return.

The question is, will this reward bring Emily home? FBI agents and Madison Township Detectives working on this case are hoping so.

In the past week, Emily Rimel's home has been searched, and the bedding and couch cushions were removed.

The woods around the apartment complex have been scoured, and a family friend's car is being analyzed by BCI.

Finally, a mannequin was shown with clothes like the ones Emily was wearing when she disappeared.

Now the FBI is putting up a $10,000 reward to either the person who provides information leading to the arrest and indictment of whoever is responsible for Emily's disappearance, or the person who returns Emily safely.

Madison Township Chief Greg Ryan says, "There may be somebody out there waiting for a reward or thinking they're going to get a reward, like in other cases, and they're waiting to provide information until after the reward is announced."

The number to call for tips in this case is (614) 462-5502.

In the meantime, detectives continue to try to confirm or disprove the statements of the four people who last saw Emily, her mother, her mother's boyfriend, the boyfriend's mother and a family friend.

http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2691989

Breaking News Man Arrested In Missing Girl Case Ohio

December 17 2004

Americas Amber Alert News Center(Madison Township Ohio USA)--Breaking News Police say they have Arrested a man in Rimel Case the 5 year old missing ohio girl missing abducted over a week ago from her home.

Emily Rimel was last seen at about midnight Dec. 7 at her family's apartment in the 4400 block of Reinbeau Drive.

An Amber leert was issued but later cancelled after police found all parties they had looked for in the case.team amber alert will be following this breaking news story and will have a update shortly.The whereabouts of Emily are still unknown.Anyone with information on Emily should call (614) 462-5502.

Lindsey Bruce, who is an acquaintance of the boyfriend of Emily's mother, was arrested Friday evening after a warrant was issued for his arrest. The charges against Bruce have not been revealed.

Police searched Bruce's Fairwood Avenue home the afternoon of Emily's disappearance..

http://www.teamamberalert.net/news/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6009

Noticed the headline today, Lindsey Bruce has been arrested & charged with rape.

http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2708055
Gosh, I hope they find her soon. I know she's not coming home alive, but at least this poor little girl's family can move forward. Sounds like her mom still is holding out hope.

I live about 2 hours away, watch the news every morning & never heard anything about this case til I saw it here on WS.

Poor little precious girl. Be careful who comes into contact with your children!

May the horrid person that did this awfully brutal crime ROT in the cell next to Snotty Peterson...........:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back