1399 users online (245 members and 1154 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

LA - Hurricane Katrina, Doctors Euthanized Patients?, 2005

I dont know what the Daily Mail Publication is. If anyone knows if its a tabloid let me know.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...a_source=&ct=5

Doctors working in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans killed critically ill patients rather than leaving them to die in agony as they evacuated hospitals, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.
    With gangs of rapists and looters rampaging through wards in the flooded city, senior doctors took the harrowing decision to give massive overdoses of morphine to those they believed could not make it out alive.

In an extraordinary interview with The Mail on Sunday, one New Orleans doctor told how she 'prayed for God to have mercy on her soul' after she ignored every tenet of medical ethics and ended the lives of patients she had earlier fought to save.

Her heart-rending account has been corroborated by a hospital orderly and by local government officials. One emergency official, William 'Forest' McQueen, said: "Those who had no chance of making it were given a lot of morphine and lain down in a dark place to die."

More at link.
    Welcome to the World Baby Caleb!!!

Wikipedia on Daily Mail
    I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for pretending to be someone I'm not.

My god, I can't even respond to this. Are you trying to kill me.?

I heard this on Fox tonight. I'm sure it was a horrible decision for the doctors to make, but I admire their compassion. If I were in that situation, I'd want someone to do that for me.

The Daily Mail occupies a position midway between the tabloid and broadsheet divide, covering much of the same celebrity ground as the tabloids but positioning itself as a more upmarket "middle class" publication.

above from Wikipedia.

I don't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrity
    If I were in that situation, I'd want someone to do that for me.
    Ditto here!

So sad...

One of the local channels had a story about a Bay Area doctor who was part of a medical unit at the SuperDome. He spoke of the deplorable conditions with the heat, stench, and the unruly crowd. They were using the Ice Rink at the SuperDome as their medical work area. He said it became extremely dangerous to work there because of all of the violence, and all of the doctors. and nurses, were forced to slip away, a few at a time, in the middle of the night, leaving the patients as they were; i.e. hooked up to IV's etc. He said they didn't have a choice. From what he said, everything was completely out of control. He also spoke of patients that they decided were beyond saving, and they just moved those patients to an out of the way area to allow them to die.

Hi, I read this in the The Mail yesterday - it's a newspaper that we take every day and which I would vouch for as a good middle-ground newspaper rather than a tabloid/scandal rag. Tabloid has two meanings over here - in the strict sense The Daily Mail is a tabloid because it is 'tabloid size' but tabloid seems to have become a by-word for 'not to be trusted'.

The article was presented as front page, with photographs of the doctor in question. It was heart-wrentching . I do believe that it was true and my heart goes out to the patients and doctors involved.
    Just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom'sGirl
    Ditto here!
    Ditto here as well.

tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    Ditto here as well.
    Ditto.

I would much rather them allow me to die pain free. We can't save everyone. It is just a fact of life. I commend the doctors for their compassion and for recognizing the limits they had.

We had this chat the other night in the chatroom,

One of the members asked if you work in a nursing home and your the only one left and there is no way to help them or get them to safety would you stay or go?
    I said if it comes down to life and death and there is absolutely nothing I can do to save them and there is no way they can survive, I said I would give them all massive doses of morphine so they don't suffer.
    SO I guess I am not to surprised that these DR's sadly were put in the position to have to make that choice.
    Its atrocious that they were put in that situation.

“All we could do was provide the barest amount of comfort care. We watched many, many people die. We practiced medical triage at its most basic -- "black-tagging" the sickest people and culling them from the masses so that they could die in a separate area.”

"We did everything from delivering babies to simply providing morphine and a blanket to septic and critical patients, and allowing them to die."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...26&ft=1&f=1007

Personally, I think the medical people did the best they could in a very bad situation, and showed great compassion.

What a very sad situation. Tragic.

God bless those that had to make this decision as it was caring and humane.

Nobody but nobody can afford to cast stones in this situation.

I agree. I'd rather go with an OD of morphine than like those poor folks who drowned in the nursing home.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast