745 users online (105 members and 640 guests)  

Websleuths News

IE - Medieval skeleton bursts from ground after storm topples tree

Irish Mirror:

Medieval skeleton bursts from ground after centuries-old tree ripped up by storm

---
    Storms blew over a 215-year old beech tree outside Collooney, Sligo, Ireland, unearthing a human skeleton.
    ---
    The burial was that of a young man (17-20 years old) and it is believed he suffered a violent death during the early medieval period.

Radiocarbon dating puts the man's death at 1030-1200 AD.
    ---
    io9.com:

---
    In a scene that must have been quite macabre, the upper part of the skeleton was found raised in the air within the tree’s root system, while the legs remained in the ground.
    ---
    more, with pictures, at the links
    Last edited by wfgodot; 09-14-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    wfgodot,

Do you recall the exact same thing happening in the US a while back? I think it may have been Washington or somewhere, in a public park in a city. I've been racking my brains to remember since I saw this story. It's given me acute deja vu.
    We 'embraced' the missing Bob Harrod case as requested but 6 years on, are still waiting for further guidance

Flyers/FB/Case Overview&Media Links
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2009-19/page22

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebel View Post
    wfgodot,

Do you recall the exact same thing happening in the US a while back? I think it may have been Washington or somewhere, in a public park in a city. I've been racking my brains to remember since I saw this story. It's given me acute deja vu.
    Am "thinking on it" (explains the rubbery burning smell!) but haven't remembered yet. Will advise.

Until then, my favorite tree/skeleton story: Wiki: Who put Bella in the Witch Elm?

Plus bonus tree/famous early American's body tale: Tree Root That Ate Roger Williams

And, from Connecticut, from 2012....

Skeleton Found Beneath New Haven Tree Toppled By Hurricane Sandy Winds
    (also see tlcya's link below)

Plus bonus skeleton! Sandy’s wrath unearths more skeletal remains in Connecticut
    Last edited by wfgodot; 09-15-2015 at 05:20 PM.

A homeless woman made a spooky Halloween’s eve discovery on the Upper Green: bones from a centuries-old human body unearthed by a giant oak tree toppled by Superstorm Sandy.

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/skeleton_found_in_upended_tree_on_green/

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

That'd be freaky but still cool to find a skeleton that old.

I wonder if any storms have ever been responsible for unearthing a body that was previously hidden and actually part of a current (or at least somewhat) crime or MP case.

Actually I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often, when you think of how many people have lived and died over the years, you'd think there'd be skeletons everywhere. We had some huge trees come up a few years ago, I mean roots that went down 7-10 feet were torn up along with the sidewalks. No skeletons though.