Benjamin Kyle Homeless man who claimed amnesia says he has found out his identity

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Benjamin Kyle told the story of being beaten and left for dead behind a Burger King in Georgia. Kyle claimed he woke up with no memory of his identity.

Kyle became famous as the homeless man with amnesia. He went on Dr. Phil. Benjamin Kyle was everywhere.

The problem is the beating never happened. For YEARS he told the story of being terribly beaten. Didn't happen.

Here is a post I made in 2010. It was fellow Websleuths members who actually did the sleuthing. I only confirmed what the members found.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...n-Kyle-Statement-from-Owner-of-Websleuths-com

Without the beating, you have to assume the amnesia story is not true. How could it be? Kyle said himself it was the beating that caused the problem with his memory. Sources have told me Kyle has admitted he wasn't beaten. Yet, in the article below the newspaper still says Kyle was beaten.

Now, Kyle is saying he has found out who he is because of the help he is received from other people.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/benjamin-kyle-writes-thank-you-post/35301774

In my opinion, Benjamin Kyle was used by other people because of his story. It was a good one. His story received world-wide media attention.

Kyle was homeless. He, along with the other homeless people deserve a place to stay, food, and health care. I'm glad for him because at least he is now getting the care he needs.

It's hard to know exactly what the truth is but one this is certain, Benjamin Kyle was never beaten. You take away the beating and the amnesia story is gone as well. You take away the amnesia story and well, you draw your own conclusion.

Benjamin's issued a statement which basically seems to consist of a lot of thanks and a warning he won't accept FB friends any longer.

MY IDENTITY HAS BEEN FOUND! It is now the start of the eleventh year since this began and I never thought this day would come. A little over two months ago I was informed by CeCe Moore that that they had established my Identity using DNA. Many people had shared their DNA profiles so that they could be compared with mine. Through a process of elimination they determined my ancestral bloodline and who my relatives were.*

http://www.news4jax.com/news/benjamin-kyle-writes-thank-you-post/35301774

Attachments

• jodi-BK-Cover-jpg.jpg
    jodi-BK-Cover-jpg.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 433

Attachments

• 2C63150300000578-0-image-a-107_1442428735101.jpg
    2C63150300000578-0-image-a-107_1442428735101.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 441
I think this article does an incredible disservice to the men and women of law enforcement who spent many hours on a case that seems to be predicated on a false premise, regardless of how many times it is repeated.

I just want to make sure I have this right Ms Moore-LE was obligated to locate the identity of a naked, uninjured homeless man found sleeping in a dumpster, who refused to answer basic questions, after he was transported to an area hospital? And yet, in spite of the lack of cooperation demonstrated by BK, law enforcement still went to the mat and processed hundreds probably thousands of tips generated by the abundant media surrounding this story of amnesia....a story that evolved and changed to fit the facts over the last 11 years.

I think that the story has reached a conclusion that many of us have expected for some time, certainly since Colleen Fitzpatrick gave her interview to Vinnie Politon indicating that BK had opted to remain intentionally unidentified. That the solution had been in his hands for a while. I dont think that there is any reason to cast aspersions on law enforcement just because they reached that conclusion long before the rest of us were willing to give up on taking him and his story at face value.

I hope his return to his loved ones is a peaceful and easy transition. It will be fascinating to see if it is done in front of the camera or behind it....

I think Benjamin Kyle is not going to fade away. He will be in front of the cameras again.

He certainly should be in front of the cameras apologizing like crazy if this all turns out to be a giant hoax... The man hours, the time, the money (DNA kits and who knows what else donated/paid for by others.) I had no idea he wasn't even beaten up- don't know how I missed that when following up over the years.

I just read the statement in his fb page. How bizZare...

He certainly should be in front of the cameras apologizing like crazy if this all turns out to be a giant hoax... The man hours, the time, the money (DNA kits and who knows what else donated/paid for by others.) I had no idea he wasn't even beaten up- don't know how I missed that when following up over the years.

just jen you bring up great points. Also, I don't know how many main stream media outlets have actually reported the real story but I think a few have.

IMO this is not BK's fault. Not all of it anyway. He had a lot of help creating the story.

The Wikipedia page (yes, I know, not to be taken as gospel) makes no mention so far of this case being a hoax or deliberate misrepresentation. However it does give a foresight in the VAST amount of work that went into trying to identify him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjaman_Kyle

I wasn't involved with this case first time round, but it's really intrigued me. Must be maddening and disheartening for all those of you who invested so much time on it and I've often wondered whether we get any/many hoax cases here. I look forward to hearing what happens next.

After he was discovered in 2004, Kyle had separate periods of catatonic psychosisin September 2004 and again in October 2004. He was "diagnosed with schizophrenia" and treated with antipsychotic medication from October 2004 to January 2005. The report reveals that when Kyle underwent an appendectomy operation, it was against his will, because he was deemed "mentally incompetent to make medical decisions at this time".
Having analysed Kyle's medical notes, King subjected him to 21 separate neuropsychology tests. His conclusion was definitive. Kyle has "disassociative amnesia" which is a "manifestation of a psychiatric illness". This fits within Kopelman's definitions for psychological-driven retrograde amnesia. King states that Kyle's behaviour "is not suggestive of malingering" and the final sentence of his report ends: "To him, his lack of memory prior to 2004 is real."

I struggle with the word hoax when it comes to this case, tbh. My view is that he may have been encouraged to exploit this aspect of his well documented illness and after a while there was no turning back. Look at all of the love, affection, concern and attention he received for all of this time. Take into account that he has been likely riding the rails for decades. It had to feel good, to finally be noticed. To not be just another schizophrenic homeless man that people stepped around on the street.

My concern for him is what will happen when it all goes away. Whatever may be in the works for him right now will be short term...how will he cope when people say "OK, he has a name and family so he is going to be ok." And then they walk away and all of the attention stops. I hope his support network is genuinely strong.

LINK HERE

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ma...ng-amnesia-for-11-years/ar-AAeAT6N?li=BBgzzfc

Kyle, for instance, could work only "under the table" because he couldn't get a government-issued ID.

"Without it, you can't apply for a job, collect government benefits, sign a lease, enroll in school, get a library card, write a check, cash a check and, in some places, you can't even stay at a homeless shelter," Dippy said.

Kyle said he won't reveal his true identity until he meets with relatives in Indiana, his birth state.

Some may have thought he was dead.

He obtained his Florida ID card Monday, aided by IDignity, which paid the $31.50 state fee.

Kyle described the ID card as "a big turning point" in his struggle and exclaimed, "I now exist — and can prove it."

He said he intends to have his Social Security number tattooed on his backside — as a precaution.

If that's true, it's a good thing Kyle has a state ID card. Florida tattoo shops require customers to show ID.

Not sure if the media got the spelling of his name wrong but on his FB page it is BENJAMAN.

I think he still hasn't given his true identity. It is weird that the ID shows the "fake" name though. Wouldn't it be strange if this was his true name just spelled differently?

Add me to the list of the people confused about the ID card. The state of FL requires residents to prove their identity and residence via birth certificate, SSN, mortgage or lease agreement, etc... would the DMV request and verify all of those things, yet print an alias on the card instead of the legal name? :waitasec:

Add me to the list of the people confused about the ID card. The state of FL requires residents to prove their identity and residence via birth certificate, SSN, mortgage or lease agreement, etc... would the DMV request and verify all of those things, yet print an alias on the card instead of the legal name? :waitasec:

As I understand it, that particular identification card was somehow provided to him a few years ago under his "assumed" name. (ID: With the help of local news station News 4 Jax, Kyle was able to get identification in Florida a few years ago, but still knew nothing about his past)

He has a new ID card now with his actual "name", SSN, etc. which in the new picture, he has put his finger over the name.

ETA: Picture of new ID.

BK.jpg

I don't understand why he won't reveal his true identity until he meets his relatives. Were his relatives even looking for him? Strange case.

As I understand it, that particular identification card was somehow provided to him a few years ago under his "assumed" name. (ID: With the help of local news station News 4 Jax, Kyle was able to get identification in Florida a few years ago, but still knew nothing about his past)

He has a new ID card now with his actual "name", SSN, etc. which in the new picture, he has put his finger over the name.

ETA: Picture of new ID.

View attachment 82050

Ah, thank you cocomod!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure I remember in the beginning that he took issue with people posting his image all over the internet, claiming it violated copyright laws. That right there made me go "hmmmmmmmm." Usually in missing/found person cases, simple issues of copyright laws fall to the side for the greater good of solving the case.

I honestly think the man knew his true identity from the get go. That is just my opinion...

Benjaman has a severe mental illness (schizophrenia), which could explain a lot of his behaviour that people found odd or evasive. It was probably his mental illness that caused the original amnesia, as opposed to being beaten. Maybe he intentionally lied about that because of the huge stigma that comes with mental illness - I would not blame him one bit if he did. Who knows how much he's remembered since then, or if it comes and goes with episodes of illness, or if he's intentionally held information back from the public or whatever.

Mental illness causes many people to end up on the streets, shunned by their families, and it's an absolute tragedy. Benjaman was and is a vulnerable person, imo, and I hope his extended family welcome him back and help him get and keep his life back on track. I wish you all the best, Benjaman :loveyou:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back