1205 users online (262 members and 943 guests)  

Websleuths News

Tsunami Warning in Hawaii -8.3 Earthquake off Chile

The World Has Gone Mad.

Massive EarthquakeSANTIAGO, Chile (AP) — A powerful earthquake shook Chile’s capital Wednesday night, causing buildings to sway and people to take refuge in the streets. Several strong aftershocks hits within minutes as tsunami alarms sounded in the port of Valparaiso and authorities issued a tsunami alert for the country’s entire coast.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported the quake had a magnitude of 8.3, upgraded from the preliminary magnitude of 7.9. Chilean authorities had recorded it as 7.2.

U.S. officials said the quake struck just offshore in the Pacific at 7:54 p.m. and was centered about 141 miles (228 kilometers) north-northwest of Santiago. It said the quake was 4.8 miles (5 kilometers) below the surface. Rocks Chile; Tsunami Alert Issued For Hawaii
    The World Has Gone Mad.

Chile’s emergency office warned that big waves caused by the quake could hit the coast by 11 p.m.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a tsunami watch for the state of Hawaii following the earthquake, saying an investigation is underway to determine if there is a tsunami threat to Hawaii.

Per link above
    The World Has Gone Mad.

Poor Chile. They have so many of these tragedies

NZ Tsunami Warnings extended to entire eastern coastline + Updated MAP

Snipped...
    ...This is the biggest quake on earth so far this year.
    http://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/conten...e-beach-threat

Extended to California.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...916-story.html

A tsunami advisory has been issued for coastal areas of California after a magnitude 8.3 earthquake hit central Chile on Wednesday.

The tsunami advisory extends from San Onofre State Beach in San Clemente, about 55 miles north of San Diego, to Ragged Point, about 50 miles north of San Luis Obispo, according to the National Tsunami Warning Center.

National weather officials expect the tsunami will begin to affect the California coast about 4:46 a.m. in Newport Beach and travel swiftly, arriving a minute later in the Port of Los Angeles. By 5:06 a.m., the tsunami will arrive in Santa Barbara, and by 5:10 a.m., in Port San Luis.
    "What is more frightening than any particular policy or ideology is the widespread habit of disregarding facts.
    --Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    Poor Chile. They have so many of these tragedies
    Chile has the highest magnitude earthquake on record. 9.5. It was in 1960 I believe.

My son went to the University in Santiago for a year. Fortunately, I was unaware at the time of all of the Chile issues or I would have been a wreck.