Tsunami Warning in Hawaii -8.3 Earthquake off Chile

Massive EarthquakeSANTIAGO, Chile (AP) — A powerful earthquake shook Chile’s capital Wednesday night, causing buildings to sway and people to take refuge in the streets. Several strong aftershocks hits within minutes as tsunami alarms sounded in the port of Valparaiso and authorities issued a tsunami alert for the country’s entire coast.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported the quake had a magnitude of 8.3, upgraded from the preliminary magnitude of 7.9. Chilean authorities had recorded it as 7.2.

U.S. officials said the quake struck just offshore in the Pacific at 7:54 p.m. and was centered about 141 miles (228 kilometers) north-northwest of Santiago. It said the quake was 4.8 miles (5 kilometers) below the surface. Rocks Chile; Tsunami Alert Issued For Hawaii

Chile’s emergency office warned that big waves caused by the quake could hit the coast by 11 p.m.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a tsunami watch for the state of Hawaii following the earthquake, saying an investigation is underway to determine if there is a tsunami threat to Hawaii.

Per link above

Poor Chile. They have so many of these tragedies

Extended to California.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...lifornia-earthquake-chile-20150916-story.html

A tsunami advisory has been issued for coastal areas of California after a magnitude 8.3 earthquake hit central Chile on Wednesday.

The tsunami advisory extends from San Onofre State Beach in San Clemente, about 55 miles north of San Diego, to Ragged Point, about 50 miles north of San Luis Obispo, according to the National Tsunami Warning Center.

National weather officials expect the tsunami will begin to affect the California coast about 4:46 a.m. in Newport Beach and travel swiftly, arriving a minute later in the Port of Los Angeles. By 5:06 a.m., the tsunami will arrive in Santa Barbara, and by 5:10 a.m., in Port San Luis.

My son went to the University in Santiago for a year. Fortunately, I was unaware at the time of all of the Chile issues or I would have been a wreck.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back