1149 users online (207 members and 942 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

TX - Ahmed Mohamed, 14, creates clock, shows teachers, gets arrested, 14 Sep 2015

When Ahmed Mohamed went to his high school in Irving, Texas, Monday, he was so excited. A teenager with dreams of becoming an engineer, he wanted to show his teacher the digital clock he'd made from a pencil case.

The 14-year-old's day ended not with praise, but punishment, after the school called police and he was arrested.

--------------------------

"They arrested me and they told me that I committed the crime of a hoax bomb, a fake bomb," the freshman later explained to WFAA after authorities released him.

Irving Police spokesman Officer James McLellan told the station, "We attempted to question the juvenile about what it was and he would simply only tell us that it was a clock."

The teenager did that because, well, it was a clock, he said.

On Wednesday, police announced the teen will not be charged.

--------------------------------------

Boyd was also asked if the teen's religious or ethnic identity played a role in how he was treated. The chief said it did not, and he praised the department's relationship with Irving's Muslim community.

However, he said, "We live in an age where you can't take things like that to school."

Disgusting!

Pics of this "clock" anyone????
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

The 'clock'

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/2...0916ahmedclock

Remember, kids have been suspended for chewing Pop-Tarts into the shape of a gun.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/examiner...rt-suspension/
    No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

We are all one poor choice from being a subject on this forum. Think twice.

My daughter once got sent home for wearing "Jack Skellington" knee socks. Because it was "occult" and "frightening to other children".

My hand to God.

But we live in the Bible Belt, where everything is side-eyed and hated without reservation. Unless you fit a certain "mold".

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...2424383957.jpg

Sorry, mikkismom beat me to it !

There's a thing called "common sense" that used to prevail...
    Jmo, but the 'clock' didn't appear to be dangerous, just an invention a kid might think up.

Guess it's better to "err" on the side of caution. If it was an explosive device-- wouldn't it have to have C4 attached to it-- or a pressure cooker ? Something that could explode ?
    Last edited by LietKynes; 09-16-2015 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    Disgusting!
    Agreed, disgusting! This child/student should have been celebrated.

A kid got arrested for having a 'butter knife' for spreading cream cheese on his bagel. Lots of teens get falsely arrested because of ZERO tolerance rules.

Looking at that picture above, I am not surprised he was taken in and questioned. Looks very much like a bomb. Why didn't he clear it with his teacher first?
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

From twitter:
    Last edited by KateB; 09-17-2015 at 09:05 AM. Reason: repair link.

Doesn't look like a clock at all! It looks scary!

You guys are looking at the pic, right???
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    Looks very much like a bomb.
    rsbm

It does not. And he was arrested after taking it to his teacher. This was a child's engineering project -- do you really think it should look like device engineered for mass production?

Why would a bomb have such a large display for the time? A bomb doesn't really need any display at all. If one thinks that bombs tick down with beeps and have digital displays, one has watched too many crappy tv shows and movies.

I worked in a high school for years. Schools get a lot of death threats, bomb threats, gun threats etc etc. Any time an electronic device with wires is brought onto the campus with no warning, no planning, it NEEDS to be checked out.

If that teacher had patted the kid on the back, put the clock on the desk, and it blew up, people would be calling for her dismissal if not her head.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

An example of the fear of the " other".

I wonder what people would think of Steven Jobs, Syrian heritage?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast