Identified! AL - Talladega Co., WhtFem, 18-25, in rural area, Apr'82 - Cynthia Hanes

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/457ufal.html

p97461391.jpg

Unidentified White Female

• The victim was discovered on April 17, 1982 in Talladega, Talladega County, Alabama
  • Estimated Date of Death: 2-3 days prior to discovery.
  • It is believed that she died from a blow to the back of the head.
  • Formerly Hot Case #48

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 20 - 35 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8"; 133 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Very long, reddish brown hair that appears to be her natural color; 2' in length. She wore heavy mascara. She had unshaven legs and armpits.
  • Scars, Marks: 2 scars on right big toe; irregular scar on lower left abdomen. She had a scar on her right foot indicating she had corrective surgery at one time. She had a Pigeon Breast Deformity (protrusion of chest over sternum, resulting in the appearance of a bowed chest..bird like. See below for example.)
  • Dentals: Available; 3rd molars on top/bottom of jaw missing, otherwise, teeth seemed to be in good shape.
  • Clothing/Jewelry: Low turtleneck beige blouse with zipper in back; navy blue corduoroy pants size 32/36. The name Cynthia Hanes was written in right pocket. She wore no undergarments or shoes. Silver chain with Celtic cross; gold necklace with no pendant; on ring finger she wore a silver metal ring with an orange/yellow stone & a heart-shaped ring with a rhinestone on it. Left 3rd finger she wore a ring with 9 small rhinestones. Casio watch in pocket set at EST.
  • Fingerprints: Available

Case History
The victim was located 7:30 AM on April 17, 1982 about 250 feet off County Road 105 near Munford, Alabama off a field road just off the highway. It is believed that she died from a blow to the back of the head and had bruises indicating a struggle. She was possibly sexually assaulted. Evidence at the scene indicated that she had been killed at another location and dragged from a vehicle to the spot where she was found. Law Enforcement believes she may have been from the Atlanta, Georgia area or Germany.

It is interesting that the name Cynthia Hanes was written in the pocket of her pants, but that this did not lead to any identification. This could have been her name, or it could have been the name of someone who gave/loaned her the clothing.

Here is a link to the Doenetwork file on this Jane Doe:

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/457ufal.html

---------------------------------------------------

Here is another Jane Doe, discovered in Alabama the very next day. I wonder if these two murders might be connected?

--------------------------------------
Located April 18, 1982 on the banks of the Sipsy River in rural Tuscaloosa County, Alabama.
Cause of death is strangulation. The victim was severely beaten.
Estimated date of death is within a day.

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 35 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4"; 110 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black/dark brown, shoulder length hair; brown eyes. Somewhat ruddy complexion. Scar over right eye, beneath eybrow. Her ears were not pierced. She did not use nailpolish, or regularly file her nails.
Dentals: Available. She wore a partial upper denture plate. The partial denture replaced the upper right central and lateral incisor teeth.
Clothing: She was wearing a Preppy button-up, long-sleeved light blue shirt; blue knit pants with an elastic waistband; a white bra; white panties; and size seven grey tennis shoes.
Other: There is evidence of a prior pregnancy. She had done manual labor. Fingerprints are on file.

Case History
This unidentified female was located in April 1982 in Slughter Creek on the banks of the Sipsy River in rural Tuscaloosa County, Alabama. She was she was sexually assaulted, strangled and severly beaten. Investigators believe the victim was possibly fishing in the area at the time of the attack, based on what she was wearing.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this woman's identity, please contact:
Alabama Department Of Forensic Sciences
Lisa Cary
205-344-5420
E-Mail lisa.cary@adfs.alabama.gov

or
Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's Office
Lt. Loyd Baker - Homicide Unit
205-752-0616 Ext. 691
E-Mail Lbaker@tuscco.com

You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.

Agency Case: 82040182
NCIC Number: U-172296346
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

Alabama Department Of Forensic Sciences
Tuscaloosa News
The Doe Network: Case File 108UFAL

LINK:
http://doenetwork.us/cases/108ufal.html

I'm so glad she has been identified, most of us know this case from one defining characteristic- she had a pigeon breast deformity. She's finally been idenified as Cynthia Louise Hanes. The name written in her pocket was actually hers, it's too bad she was never reported missing.

http://www.dailyhome.com/pages/full...d &id=6832870&instance=lead_story_left_column

Finally, body identified
by CHRIS NORWOOD11 hrs ago | 1436 views | 0 | 4 | | TALLADEGA COUNTY — Almost 28 years after being discovered, and just three weeks before a planned memorial service, the young woman whose body was found off a county road in Munford finally has a name.

Her name was Cynthia Louise Hanes.

Hanes, 24, was last seen getting into a black van in Maryland March 27, 1982 near her home. Her body was discovered in Munford April 17, 1982, dead of blunt force trauma to the head. She had been dead for two or three days when she was found, according to Talladega County District Attorney’s Investigator Mike McBurnett.

Mary Lang, a family friend who has been involved in the search for Hanes since 1998, said the young woman graduated from Warren Hills High School in New Jersey in 1976. She joined the U.S. Army in January 1977 and was stationed for awhile at Fort McClellan. According to Lang, Hanes was supposed to ship out to Germany, but didn’t want to go and managed to secure an honorary discharge in September 1978.

She moved back with her parents who were at this point living in Maryland, but developed problems with drugs and alcohol.

Lang said her family put Hanes into rehabilitation programs in Maryland on two occasions, but she signed herself out both times. The second time was shortly before the last time anyone saw her alive. Her parents, exercising a form of “tough love decision,” according to Lang, decided to leave her to her free will and did not report her missing at the time.

McBurnett said the person in the van with Hanes was not known to any of her family members. She also never talked about friends she may have made in the military or what might have brought her back to Alabama. The fact that she had a pack of cigarettes without a tax stamp on it indicates that she had probably been on a military base recently, or had been with someone who had.

Lang got involved in 1998 when her mother approached Hanes’ mother in church. She posted the information on-line but very little happened. A recent flurry of activity, however, put Lang in touch with McBurnett and Capt. Mike Hubbard of the Talladega County Sheriff’s Office. Through the mother, McBurnett was able to get Hanes’ Social Security number and an old driver’s license.

When McBurnett discovered that Hanes had served in the military, he attempted to get fingerprints to match against the ones taken from the body from the Army. After being referred to several different departments in various parts of the country, he is still waiting for those results. Through Hanes’ mother, he learned she had been arrested on misdemeanor charges in Maryland. He contacted the district court clerk nearest where she lived and was referred to the detention center where Hanes was held until she made bond. They have a 20 year retention policy, so prints from the early 1980s were no longer available.

McBurnett’s break finally came when he began contacting law enforcement agencies that operate in the area. He got what he was looking for with the first one he called.

“The fingerprint card they had had an imperfection on it, so the (Automated Fingerprint Identification System) kicked it out. By the time it got back to the agency that took it, she was already out on bond and long gone, since it was just a misdemeanor charge. Her prints never made it into the system.”

Talladega County Sheriff’s Investigator Barry Kimsey compared Hanes’ prints to the body from Munford and found an eight point match, which is enough for a positive identification.

Identifying the victim at this point still does not put investigators any closer to finding out who killed Hanes, however. She died as a result of blunt force trauma with signs of non-fatal strangulation and no signs of sexual assault.

The memorial service will go on as planned for April 16 at 11 a.m. at Pine Hill Cemetery with Jackie Morgan of Blue Baptist Church and Rodney Pritchett of Eastaboga Baptist Church officiating, and District Attorney Steve Giddens speaking as well. Usrey Funeral Home will direct. McBurnett said Hanes’ mother and at least one of her siblings are planning to attend.

“There have been a lot of people that put a lot of work into this,” McBurnett said. “Skippy Hallmark was a sergeant in the Talladega County Sheriff’s Office at the time she was found, and he spent years on it. I called to tell him yesterday that we had finally identified her, that we just didn’t have the technology back then,” he said.

Hanes’ mother could not be reached for comment Wednesday, but said she “felt a warmth for Munford and Talladega. They really sort of adopted her, even though they didn’t even know who she was.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/457ufal.html

The Doe Network:
Case File 457UFAL

Sketch of Victim

•The victim was discovered on April 17, 1982 in Talladega, Talladega County, Alabama
•Estimated Date of Death: 2-3 days prior to discovery.
•It is believed that she died from a blow to the back of the head.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

•Estimated age: 20 - 35 years old
•Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8"; 133 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: Very long, reddish brown hair that appears to be her natural color; 2' in length; brown eyes. She wore heavy mascara. She had unshaven legs and armpits.
•Scars, Marks: 2 scars on right big toe; irregular scar on lower left abdomen. She had a scar on her right foot indicating she had corrective surgery at one time. She had a Pigeon Breast Deformity (protrusion of chest over sternum, resulting in the appearance of a bowed chest, bird like. See below for example.)
•Dentals: Available; 3rd molars on top/bottom of jaw missing, otherwise, teeth seemed to be in good shape.
•Clothing/Jewelry: Low turtleneck beige blouse with zipper in back; navy blue corduroy pants size 32/36. The name Cynthia Hanes was written in right pocket. She wore no undergarments or shoes. Silver chain with Celtic cross; gold necklace with no pendant; on ring finger she wore a silver metal ring with an orange/yellow stone & a heart-shaped ring with a rhinestone on it. Left 3rd finger she wore a ring with 9 small rhinestones. Casio watch in pocket set at EST.
•Fingerprints: Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
The victim was located 07:30 on April 17, 1982 about 250 feet off County Road 105 near Munford, Alabama off a field road just off the highway. It is believed that she died from a blow to the back of the head and had bruises indicating a struggle. She was possibly sexually assaulted. Evidence at the scene indicated that she had been killed at another location and dragged from a vehicle to the spot where she was found. Law Enforcement believes she may have been from the Atlanta, Georgia area or Germany.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Talladega County Sheriff's Office
Lt. Hubbard or Sgt. Green
256-761-2141
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

NCIC Number:
U-770017549
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
"Daily Home" newspaper article, April 21, 1982, Talladega, AL
The Talladega County Sheriff's Office

thanks so much for posting this Snufamonbobball. I remember the case well, was just looking at the doe page within the last week?

I'm so glad she has her name! and Cynthia's family finally has answers.

I'm also glad the details regarding the finger prints were included in the article as well. Her friend really went through a lot of avenues to get the answers they were seeking. All the more reason we need to get more posted at NamUs and utilize a national database!

RIP Cynthia, I am so happy you have your name back.

I remember looking at this case and thinking - "They have a name, she is probably enlisted - this should be easy to solve by running a name search with the Dept of Defense."

Maybe it isn't that simple, but it seems to me that this one should not have taken nearly 28 years to resolve.

Anyone who was helping me in my old thread: I've already talked to someone there. There are certain other similarities to my family members case that I've only just found out about. I'd like to get in touch with Mrs Lang (her mom's friend) as well. If you happen to read this Mrs Lang, please message me for my number. I've been searching the net for her and sending out messages.

Murder Victime Cynthia Louise Hanes was Finally Identified 28 Years Later

A woman killed 28 years ago in east Alabama finally got a memorial service with family and friends.

On Friday, family, friends, investigators and others gathered at the grave of Cynthia Louise Hanes in Talladega County's Pine Hill Cemetery. No one knew until about a month ago that it was Hanes who was buried in the grave in 1982.
*snip*

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/20100417/APN/1004171561

Welcome to Websleuths new member Opp2mystic1's.

Opp2mystic1's sent me this information to post for all of you to read.

Thanks so much my dear. We really appreciate it.

Tricia

If victium was ID-why not updated on Doe Network??:croc::waitasec::waitasec:

If victium was ID-why not updated on Doe Network??:croc::waitasec::waitasec:

They have updated it now!

"The victim was located on April 17, 1982 in Talladega, Alabama. She was identified in April 2010 as Cynthia Hanes. Hanes, 24, was last seen getting into a black van in Maryland in March 27, 1982 near her home."

http://doenetwork.org/

I just found this side-by-side in Porchlight International. I had not seen a photo of Cynthia Hanes prior to this, so I am posting it here.

p97461391-1.jpg

UID is not in Namus and there is no current Doe Network listing for her.

presumed that she has been identified?

Her name was written in her pocket and she remained unidentified for all that time! Her poor family! How awful.
:maddening:

Im wondering if Gregory Oakley Jr was ever a suspect in this case? Her murder fits his MO. Red hair, young, strangled and I know he lived in Talladega in November of 1981 and he moved to Louisville December of 1982 so he wouldve been in Talladega during this time. He is dead now but I just thought I would throw him out there.

He was officially named the prime suspect in Ann Gotlibs disapperance in Louisville, KY on June 1, 1983.

He previously assaulted three young girls, drugging them with animal meds as he was a veterinarian and had easy access to them.

Ann Gotlib's websleuth
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?25880-KY-Ann-Gotlib-12-Louisville-1-June-1983

Source saying Greg Oakley Jr was the prime suspect
http://www.leoweekly.com/2008/12/suspect-investigation/

Searched but didn't find this lady on here.

Munford, Talladega County, April 1982, White Female, 18-25

The woman was white, between the ages of 18 and 25 and was 5 feet 8 inches tall. She weighed 133 pounds and had red hair with an auburn tint that was 2 feet long.
Her teeth were in good condition, and she was still wearing a Casio watch that was set to Eastern Standard Time and several pieces of costume jewelry including two rings on each hand and a cross around her neck. She was dressed and partially covered up with pine straw, although her shoes were missing.
She was wearing a beige top and corduroy pants with the name “Cynthia Haynes” written on them in indelible ink on the inside. McBurnett said the pants appeared to be old and could have been purchased at a second hand store, and in any case there were no missing persons cases involving anyone of that name at the time. Her legs and armpits were not shaved, leaving some to believe she might have come from Europe.
She was carrying a pack of Kent ultralight menthol cigarettes...

RBBM

http://www.annistonstar.com/the_dai...cle_3936ed0e-6446-59e3-be80-8af6ee22cc2e.html

Google maps:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...2!3m1!1s0x888bb8e655503a61:0x75800929abde6f20

Attachments

• 53988b46077d7.image.jpg
    53988b46077d7.image.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 107
Thanks AliceInPain for bringing this case here. The MSM article is from 2010 and that makes me wonder if she is still unidentified. Sad if she is and there've been no database registrations or updates.

Thanks again.

I can't find her in any databases, there is basically nothing online as far as I could find except for this article.
And that's a shame if she's still unidentified.

Maybe someone in the US can contact the people mentioned at the end of the article and see if she's still unidentified?
I'm in the UK and rarely get a response when I contact LE in the US.

I also want to mention I found this article thanks to that new tool:
https://lostandfound.revealnews.org/
cross-referencing the missing, unidentifieds and old articles at google archives.
(It's based on the Namus database but easier to search)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back