IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KateB

Reaction score
966525_630x354.jpg

Manhunt underway in Fox Lake after officer fatally shot
http://abc7chicago.com/news/manhunt-underway-in-fox-lake/965033/

FOX LAKE, Ill. (WLS) -- A manhunt is underway in far north suburban Fox Lake. Police said they are looking for two men who should be considered armed and dangerous.

A law enforcement source said a Fox Lake police officer has been shot and killed.

Initially, police said someone was shot near an old cement plant in the 100-block of Honing Road. Officers were seen searching a wooded area near the scene for several hours Tuesday morning. Canine units were brought in from various jurisdictions, including McHenry County.

Mystery deepens in death of police officer in Fox Lake, Illinois
Posted: Sep 11, 2015 6:45 AM CST Updated: Sep 11, 2015 6:47 AM CST
(CNN) -- It was the type of routine call the cop known as "G.I. Joe" must have recounted for the young people he mentored in the village of Fox Lake, a popular boating and fishing spot about an hour north of Chicago.

Lt. Joe Gliniewicz had planned to retire in August but he'd been asked to stay on another month. And there he was, nine days ago, in the most familiar of situations for the Army veteran and father of four.

But the last radio call of his more than 30 years on the job was anything but routine. It would signal the beginning of a deepening mystery that has so far stumped investigators. Now the coroner says he can't rule anything out - homicide, suicide or accident.

Scanner Thread

Thread #1
Thread #2

So no information from yesterday's meeting huh? I thought for sure we would have something...if nothing else, from "a source close to the case"! LOL

So no information from yesterday's meeting huh? I thought for sure we would have something...if nothing else, from "a source close to the case"! LOL

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...an-fox-lake-media-st-0919-20150918-story.html

Nothing new here, but thought this opinion piece in the trib was interesting.

"Everyone you know — especially your co-workers and neighbors who grew up watching "COPS" and now hone their skills watching "CSI" in all its forms — has a theory to share on the death of Fox Lake police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz. Just how informed that opinion might be is based almost entirely on what they've read in the paper or seen on TV, though scrolling through the comments sections of online publications has also been part of their forensic process."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...an-fox-lake-media-st-0919-20150918-story.html

Nothing new here, but thought this opinion piece in the trib was interesting.

"Everyone you know — especially your co-workers and neighbors who grew up watching "COPS" and now hone their skills watching "CSI" in all its forms — has a theory to share on the death of Fox Lake police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz. Just how informed that opinion might be is based almost entirely on what they've read in the paper or seen on TV, though scrolling through the comments sections of online publications has also been part of their forensic process."

True. But what we read in the paper we expect to be true! And we expect to be informed, not appeased or entertained especially in a death case. Maybe the meeting wasn't held yesterday. I would think that a reporter or two would have had a heads up and been there. JMO

I have been giving this situation a lot of thought.

I would like to offer a little perspective, take it how you wish. I have been on the other side in these situations (ongoing criminal cases but not a police shooting just to clarify) and I have worked in conjunction and given interviews and had been working with families who also provided interviews with MSM in various capacities in the past. Let me explain, the reality is that words can be skewed and it isn't always necessarily on purpose. I wanted to offer my perspective because I know that some study each and every little word or utterance that comes out in some of these articles. Understandable, as there is not much else to go on but sometimes the message is not complete. Leave a little room for some wiggle would be my suggestion unless coming direct from authorities. For example, with a news crew on a scene or doing a story... You could stand and be interviewed for 10 mins but only 30 seconds makes the broadcast and in chopped up varying clips. The interviews are edited to make the broadcast. (think of the recent interview given by the LT son, I would liken to the fact that he likely sat for much longer in his interview but it was clipped up) Literally, I have watched back knowing perfectly well what information I shared which was 100 percent factual and seen it get distorted in seeing these chopped up clips and the article below including a few more details that were not all correct or could be misperceived. It just happens. I have seen it time and time again with other colleagues. It is different when dealing with a live presser from officials because that context and dialogue is typically covered in full while live. But if you are looking back you will see how the news will play “clips” of the most crucial information of those live pressers.

I am not on the suicide theory at this point though I have weighed it. Again, going back, I have been on the other side and have seen investigations remain very tight to the vest as publicizing critical information was of no benefit to the investigation. While this is maddening to a concerned public it is sometimes necessary. While I do not have the strongest level of faith in certain areas and jurisdictions in Illinois I am remaining optimistic that this is way to large to orchestrate a wide scale coverup with all of the level of LE involved. Another thought I’ve had is that with all of the BLM movement it is no secret that as it’s been suggested by some within LE that LEO have been left to potentially question or hesitate which is a danger within an already dangerous job. The last option in these situations is to shoot. Remember, “hands up don’t shoot” the false narrative of Ferguson. The continued narrative of the officer should have physically tried to restrain MB in other methods? I am starting to wonder if Lt. G was somehow out- timed and caught off guard by these offenders in how he was shot and possibly with his own gun? Is this where the "pepper spray" could parlay into the events? Sometime false and/or ommited information is given out to aid an investigation which could be the case here? Take for example, the recent Baby Doe case. Information was provided by officials that Baby Doe didn’t suffer from any obvious outward acts of violence (in so many words) It is quite possible that LE did have an understanding of the COD (IMO, they did) but remained with the narrative that was provided to the public as the it is one of those key components that the offender would have certain knowledge of and providing that information publicly may have hindered their quest to identify baby doe. Perhaps, in their mind by saying what they did they speculated that someone may have come forward claiming a terrible accident. Again, I know this is not the topic of this thread but using this to serve as an example as to what might be occurring here. I have seen this done in cold cases while reviewing, a certain article of clothing on a victim may in actuality be one color in reality but another color is provided to the public etc.. because the true offender will know the certain color or that is the intent in trying to aid in ruling out false confessions.

It does make me wonder and question about some of the video tapes they obtained and if they are now downplaying some of that content as they pursue a more solid case or have an idea where they are heading with any particular suspects in mind. I believe there is more than meets the eye here and it will come out in time.

Just my opinion and food for thought.

It's the media's fault if this case starts going away. They need to demand answers and keep the pressure on by running articles.

It's the media's fault if this case starts going away. They need to demand answers and keep the pressure on by running articles.

The media needs to have something new to report on. This is the same with missing persons cases, unsolved homicides; look especially the cold cases etc.. They don't remain in the media unless there is new information and this is why events, vigils, billboard campaigns, anniversaries etc etc.. and more are crucial and beneficial because it gets the missing person - victims, story back in the news. You now have something to report on. Currently, we have seen the LT son give an interview, keeps his dads name out there in new coverage. You are seeing fundraising events. Keeps the story out there and alive.

There is information to report. The forensic evidence. The media needs to stay on the authorities for answers to the numerous questions they've left dangling. A PO died. The community was told crazed cop killers were on the loose. Schools were on lock down and then closed. The community deserves answers. Those who attended his funeral services deserve answers. The truth needs to come out regarding the manner of death. Are there still crazed killers out there? Or did Lt. CG make up a story and try and cheat the system?

I have been giving this situation a lot of thought.

I would like to offer a little perspective, take it how you wish. I have been on the other side in these situations (ongoing criminal cases but not a police shooting just to clarify) and I have worked in conjunction and given interviews and had been working with families who also provided interviews with MSM in various capacities in the past. Let me explain, the reality is that words can be skewed and it isn't always necessarily on purpose. I wanted to offer my perspective because I know that some study each and every little word or utterance that comes out in some of these articles. Understandable, as there is not much else to go on but sometimes the message is not complete. Leave a little room for some wiggle would be my suggestion unless coming direct from authorities. For example, with a news crew on a scene or doing a story... You could stand and be interviewed for 10 mins but only 30 seconds makes the broadcast and in chopped up varying clips. The interviews are edited to make the broadcast. (think of the recent interview given by the LT son, I would liken to the fact that he likely sat for much longer in his interview but it was clipped up) Literally, I have watched back knowing perfectly well what information I shared which was 100 percent factual and seen it get distorted in seeing these chopped up clips and the article below including a few more details that were not all correct or could be misperceived. It just happens. I have seen it time and time again with other colleagues. It is different when dealing with a live presser from officials because that context and dialogue is typically covered in full while live. But if you are looking back you will see how the news will play “clips” of the most crucial information of those live pressers.

I am not on the suicide theory at this point though I have weighed it. Again, going back, I have been on the other side and have seen investigations remain very tight to the vest as publicizing critical information was of no benefit to the investigation. While this is maddening to a concerned public it is sometimes necessary. While I do not have the strongest level of faith in certain areas and jurisdictions in Illinois I am remaining optimistic that this is way to large to orchestrate a wide scale coverup with all of the level of LE involved. Another thought I’ve had is that with all of the BLM movement it is no secret that as it’s been suggested by some within LE that LEO have been left to potentially question or hesitate which is a danger within an already dangerous job. The last option in these situations is to shoot. Remember, “hands up don’t shoot” the false narrative of Ferguson. The continued narrative of the officer should have physically tried to restrain MB in other methods? I am starting to wonder if Lt. G was somehow out- timed and caught off guard by these offenders in how he was shot and possibly with his own gun? Is this where the "pepper spray" could parlay into the events? Sometime false and/or ommited information is given out to aid an investigation which could be the case here? Take for example, the recent Baby Doe case. Information was provided by officials that Baby Doe didn’t suffer from any obvious outward acts of violence (in so many words) It is quite possible that LE did have an understanding of the COD (IMO, they did) but remained with the narrative that was provided to the public as the it is one of those key components that the offender would have certain knowledge of and providing that information publicly may have hindered their quest to identify baby doe. Perhaps, in their mind by saying what they did they speculated that someone may have come forward claiming a terrible accident. Again, I know this is not the topic of this thread but using this to serve as an example as to what might be occurring here. I have seen this done in cold cases while reviewing, a certain article of clothing on a victim may in actuality be one color in reality but another color is provided to the public etc.. because the true offender will know the certain color or that is the intent in trying to aid in ruling out false confessions.

It does make me wonder and question about some of the video tapes they obtained and if they are now downplaying some of that content as they pursue a more solid case or have an idea where they are heading with any particular suspects in mind. I believe there is more than meets the eye here and it will come out in time.

Just my opinion and food for thought.

Great post! (modsnip)

Finally a press conference. Too bad the words of everyone currently involved in this investigation means nothing now.

At 5:00 p.m., ABC 7 aired an interview with a son.
He is experiencing a great loss. He considered his dad his best friend.
The subject of suicide doesn't register with the son because his dad seemed happy and talked about plans for his future.
When I think about his sons and their mother, my heart takes over.
It is difficult to imagine that the Lt. checked out on his sons - especially after I observed one of his sons speaking about his dad and their good relationship.

ABC will be airing an update from Fox Lake PD soon.
They said it would be within the hour but a little later changed to during the six o'clock news.

If future plans meant that he was planning to leave the area, that does explain his concern about the Explorers program remaining robust, in his absence JMO

If future plans meant that he was planning to leave the area, that does explain his concern about the Explorers program remaining robust, in his absence JMO

Specifics weren't given other than that he was applying for other positions (that we've heard a little bit about).
But as Walker007 pointed out, only snippets are shown.

Fox Lake and Antioch aren't the only towns in this whole wide world.
The Lt. may have been stressed out and disappointed due to upcoming changes but strong people can handle disappointments.

Test results, possibly ballistic, are expected.

Replaying comments from son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member