Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: VERY interesting Katrina blog

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,931

    VERY interesting Katrina blog

    This is a blog done by a family (one actually named Katrina, hence the name, lol) who are trying to get their mother back from Louisiana, and it shows some pictures of the damage as well as telling what they are going through, including the lack of help from the Red Cross, of all people. It is a very good read:

    http://katrinaversuskatrina.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by Dark Knight; 09-13-2005 at 07:51 AM. Reason: clarifying some info



    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    To help the victims of the deadly tornadoes, please click here.

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    20,222
    OH wow. good find DK. Need to take some time and digest it all, but looks very interesting. Thanks for posting.

  3. #3
    less0305's Avatar
    less0305 is offline The face is familiar, but I can't quite remember my name!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,246
    I'm just not sure that these folks know that the Red Cross is really not a part of the federal government. Or am I delusional - I didn't think they were. I understand what they're saying about not being helped by Red Cross, but really Red Cross is not a part of FEMA - two separate entities, aren't they? I honestly don't think there are enough FEMA agents to handle all the areas that this hurricane devastated. Wonder if there are efforts to put more people on the payroll to go out and take claims, etc.?
    It's my own two cents. You don't have to read or like it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    20,222
    Quote Originally Posted by less0305
    I'm just not sure that these folks know that the Red Cross is really not a part of the federal government. Or am I delusional - I didn't think they were. I understand what they're saying about not being helped by Red Cross, but really Red Cross is not a part of FEMA - two separate entities, aren't they? I honestly don't think there are enough FEMA agents to handle all the areas that this hurricane devastated. Wonder if there are efforts to put more people on the payroll to go out and take claims, etc.?
    Hi Less..you are correct.
    RC is a private organization. They work along side federal agencies but they are distinctly separate.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4,431
    Quote Originally Posted by less0305
    I'm just not sure that these folks know that the Red Cross is really not a part of the federal government. Or am I delusional - I didn't think they were. I understand what they're saying about not being helped by Red Cross, but really Red Cross is not a part of FEMA - two separate entities, aren't they? I honestly don't think there are enough FEMA agents to handle all the areas that this hurricane devastated. Wonder if there are efforts to put more people on the payroll to go out and take claims, etc.?
    I think it gets a bit confusing with all the requests to help the Red Cross, too, like when the president requests donations to the Red Cross, that it's actually not a federal agency.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for pretending to be someone I'm not.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by less0305
    I'm just not sure that these folks know that the Red Cross is really not a part of the federal government. Or am I delusional - I didn't think they were. I understand what they're saying about not being helped by Red Cross, but really Red Cross is not a part of FEMA - two separate entities, aren't they? I honestly don't think there are enough FEMA agents to handle all the areas that this hurricane devastated. Wonder if there are efforts to put more people on the payroll to go out and take claims, etc.?
    Is it just me, or do people simply no longer understand how our government operates? And what is and isn't a part of the government?

    I'm struck by one of the evacuees, who said "This will cost Bush the next election."

  7. #7
    less0305's Avatar
    less0305 is offline The face is familiar, but I can't quite remember my name!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,246
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
    Is it just me, or do people simply no longer understand how our government operates? And what is and isn't a part of the government?

    I'm struck by one of the evacuees, who said "This will cost Bush the next election."
    It's not just you! I spoke with our municipal attorney last night and he said the same thing - that is simply amazing how many people do not understand what federalism is and how our government structure is. I couldn't believe it when someone said Bush was Gov. Blanco's boss - like he could fire her. Do they even teach Civics to kids in school anymore?? My daughter has weightlifting for one of her classes this semester. Hmmmmm. Is there something wrong here!!??
    It's my own two cents. You don't have to read or like it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    20,222
    Quote Originally Posted by less0305
    It's not just you! I spoke with our municipal attorney last night and he said the same thing - that is simply amazing how many people do not understand what federalism is and how our government structure is. I couldn't believe it when someone said Bush was Gov. Blanco's boss - like he could fire her. Do they even teach Civics to kids in school anymore?? My daughter has weightlifting for one of her classes this semester. Hmmmmm. Is there something wrong here!!??
    I was going to post this very thing. I have run into some pretty educated, intelligent people and they have uttered something similar. Blows my mind.

    I think it was marrigotti who posted it seems like many could benefit from Civics 101 or something to that effect.

    Admittedly this is not my strong suit..but I've got at least the basics down, I think

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •