VERY interesting Katrina blog

Dark Knight

Reaction score
This is a blog done by a family (one actually named Katrina, hence the name, lol) who are trying to get their mother back from Louisiana, and it shows some pictures of the damage as well as telling what they are going through, including the lack of help from the Red Cross, of all people. It is a very good read:

http://katrinaversuskatrina.blogspot.com/

OH wow. good find DK. Need to take some time and digest it all, but looks very interesting. Thanks for posting.

I'm just not sure that these folks know that the Red Cross is really not a part of the federal government. Or am I delusional - I didn't think they were. I understand what they're saying about not being helped by Red Cross, but really Red Cross is not a part of FEMA - two separate entities, aren't they? I honestly don't think there are enough FEMA agents to handle all the areas that this hurricane devastated. Wonder if there are efforts to put more people on the payroll to go out and take claims, etc.?

less0305 said:
I'm just not sure that these folks know that the Red Cross is really not a part of the federal government. Or am I delusional - I didn't think they were. I understand what they're saying about not being helped by Red Cross, but really Red Cross is not a part of FEMA - two separate entities, aren't they? I honestly don't think there are enough FEMA agents to handle all the areas that this hurricane devastated. Wonder if there are efforts to put more people on the payroll to go out and take claims, etc.?
Hi Less..you are correct.
RC is a private organization. They work along side federal agencies but they are distinctly separate.

less0305 said:

I think it gets a bit confusing with all the requests to help the Red Cross, too, like when the president requests donations to the Red Cross, that it's actually not a federal agency.

less0305 said:
Is it just me, or do people simply no longer understand how our government operates? And what is and isn't a part of the government?

I'm struck by one of the evacuees, who said "This will cost Bush the next election.":doh:

BillyGoatGruff said:
Is it just me, or do people simply no longer understand how our government operates? And what is and isn't a part of the government?

I'm struck by one of the evacuees, who said "This will cost Bush the next election.":doh:

It's not just you! I spoke with our municipal attorney last night and he said the same thing - that is simply amazing how many people do not understand what federalism is and how our government structure is. I couldn't believe it when someone said Bush was Gov. Blanco's boss - like he could fire her. Do they even teach Civics to kids in school anymore?? My daughter has weightlifting for one of her classes this semester. Hmmmmm. Is there something wrong here!!??

less0305 said:
It's not just you! I spoke with our municipal attorney last night and he said the same thing - that is simply amazing how many people do not understand what federalism is and how our government structure is. I couldn't believe it when someone said Bush was Gov. Blanco's boss - like he could fire her. Do they even teach Civics to kids in school anymore?? My daughter has weightlifting for one of her classes this semester. Hmmmmm. Is there something wrong here!!??
I was going to post this very thing. I have run into some pretty educated, intelligent people and they have uttered something similar. Blows my mind.

I think it was marrigotti who posted it seems like many could benefit from Civics 101 or something to that effect.

Admittedly this is not my strong suit..but I've got at least the basics down, I think:waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back