1117 users online (183 members and 934 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Latest document shows that the depositions from the Sunrise Police Department police officers are scheduled for 12/07/2016!
    I found it at the Broward County Clerk of Courts site, it is File 45995912, dated 9-1-2016. It sure seems it will take quite some time for Maria's family to see any justice.

Discovery documents have been released in the grisly death of a woman allegedly murdered by her boyfriend during sex.

Suspected killer Fidel Lopez underwent a grilling from Sunrise Police detectives during an hours-long interrogation last September.

(...)

Lopez maintained that he loved Nemeth. “She’s a good girl,” he said. “She’s a perfect girl, man. She’s my love.”

Then, a short time later, Lopez admitted that he snapped after Nemeth called him by her ex-husband’s name during sex.

(...)

Prosecutors also released a crime scene video taken after the murder. The video shows the apartment, an open bottle of tequila, sliced limes, a smashed sliding glass door and a hole in a wall. It also shows so an extremely bloody crime scene, especially in the closet.

Lopez’s attorney asked the judge in the case to keep these court documents and police videos hidden from the public. However, CBS 4 News went to court to make sure we could view them as public records, like we do in almost all high profile criminal cases.

(...)

Prosecutors also released transcripts of numerous phone calls that Lopez made from jail. In one of the calls, he told a family member that in the days after the murder he was being haunted by Maria Nemeth’s death and couldn’t sleep. He said, “Each time that I close my eyes I have that in mind.”
    http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/09/08...on-sex-murder/

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    Crazy stories come out of Florida ALL the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Man
    That's because we have the sunshine law, it happens other places too, you just don't get to read about it. And as far as he has to be on drugs, no, there is evil in this world, and you don't get all the details when the paper says a body was found or she was found dead in her apartment. This stuff happens, thank God it is rare, but it happens. I believe in evil among us. Never used too, but I do now.
    Your Dream must be greater than your fear!

I have to wonder, is this his first time doing this? Are there others? I can't believe he went from mildly aggressive to this. I would bet, he has been a bad boy for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by borndem View Post
    bbm

Exactly. There is so much we cannot do -- but we can stand with the victim and his or her family.
    You can pray too. I do all the time for the families of these horrific crimes. Now I get it.... "lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil" Amen! Best prayer ever!

Quote Originally Posted by borndem View Post
    bbm

Just re-reading some pages from this thread, and I have to say that the phrase above is all of it in a nutshell. There are no words that can make this one better after saying that at least her suffering is over. This crime brings a lifelong sentence on all those who loved her.

I can't imagine being a juror and evaluating this one and having to look at the pictures as a part of my duty as a US citizen.
    And all of the people, officers and detectives and commanders that had to work this case. The ME and staff, are also affected by this. How sad. I think you have to learn to put this somewhere in your mind, and release it, bits at a time to be able to do your job. I would not want to be on that jury either!

Urgh. I shudder when this case comes up, gotta be the worst I've read here.

Hoping this fella gets the death penalty, he's not fit to breathe our air.

Speedy trial demand knocks out death penalty in Sunrise disemboweling case
    Attorneys defending a Sunrise man accused of disemboweling his girlfriend after she said another man's name during sex say they are ready for his day in court, prompting a Broward judge to set jury selection for Feb. 13.

Defense lawyer Melisa McNeill said Thursday that the decision to demand a speedy trial, a constitutional right waived more often than it's invoked, was made for one reason only. "We're ready for trial," she said.

The timing of the request has another benefit for Fidel Lopez, 25, who is charged with first degree murder and two counts of sexual battery in the Sept. 20, 2015 slaying of Maria Nemeth. Putting the case in front of a jury as soon as possible blocks the state from seeking the death penalty because Florida's method for imposing the sentence has been ruled unconstitutional.

So he won't get the death penalty? Well he SHOULD!

Appeals court halts jury selection in Sunrise disemboweling case
    An appeals court breathed new life into Broward prosecutors’ bid to seek the death penalty for Fidel Lopez, the Sunrise man who told police he disemboweled his girlfriend in a tequila-fueled rage in 2015.

The Fourth District Court of Appeal issued a stay early Monday afternoon, bringing jury selection to a sudden halt in the courtroom of Broward Circuit Judge Ilona Holmes.

Holmes had granted a defense motion for a speedy trial and barred prosecutors from seeking the death penalty in the gruesome case. Coupled with the defendant’s demand for a speedy trial, the timing could have spared Lopez from execution if he were to be convicted.

But prosecutors appealed Holmes’ order, and the higher court agreed to give the state at least enough time to make its argument to preserve the death penalty.

Prosecutor rejects plea offer in disembowelment case; trial to resume
    Fidel Lopez, the Sunrise man who admitted disemboweling his girlfriend in a drunken rage in 2015, would be willing to plead guilty to avoid execution, his lawyer said in court Friday.

But prosecutors are determined to seek the death penalty in the gruesome murder of Maria Lizette Nemeth, who was killed, according to Lopez, after she called out another man’s name during sex.

Sunrise Man Pleads Guilty in Mutilation Murder of Girlfriend

Fidel Lopez, 26, was in a Broward County courtroom Thursday where he pleaded guilty to murder and sexual battery charges in the killing of 31-year-old Maria Nemeth as part of a deal with prosecutors.
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...713-story.html

While a life sentence is mandatory, Holmes agreed to put off formal sentencing until Aug. 3 in order to give family members of the defendant and the victim an opportunity to address the court.

But Holmes made it clear to Lopez that pleas for mercy and a lighter sentence will not be entertained.

“You are going to die in prison,” Holmes said.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7