933 users online (185 members and 748 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

NC - Richard Moreau, 66, Knightdale, 17 Sept 2015

Richard Moreau

Man making long-distance bike trip missing after Knightdale stop

"The Knightdale Police Department is asking for help in locating a Massachusetts man who was fulfilling his lifelong dream of bicycling down the east coast when he disappeared.

Richard Moreau, 66, was last seen on the evening of Sept. 17 when he left a Verizon store located at 6807 Knightdale Blvd."

Read more at http://www.wral.com/man-making-long-...0l7MfV3wtTd.99
    "When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

He was riding a green bicycle wearing a T-shirt, shorts, black and gray helmet, black and red riding gloves and black New Balance sneakers.

It is believed that he was headed toward Wendell to camp for the night before continuing his bicycle route to Florida. His bicycling route, however should be taking him along US 1.

Police said Tuesday they got information placing Moreau on the south side of Middlesex, headed south on 231 on Monday.

http://abc11.com/news/man-biking-to-...e-area/997319/

I live north of Raleigh on the bike route for 1. Not sure why he was all the way out in Knightdale as it is way off his projected course. So odd. I will keep an eye out for him.
    Sue

Foul play? Disappeared on purpose? Threw a blood clot and got confused? I hope this turns out ok.
    "The cure for anything is salt water- sweat, tears, or the sea." -Isak Dinensen

Oh gosh...so sad. On the Nightdale police Facebook page it says that they found him passed away in his tent in Nash County. No signs of foul play.

I'm so sad he didn't get to finish his dream ride....but at least he knew he was doing it.

RIP

Found dead in his tent. Believed to be natural causes. http://www.wral.com/bicyclist-missin...dead/14921759/

Sad. Prayers for his family. Thankful it wasn't foul play.

We regret to report that Richard Moreau, the Massachusetts cyclist who has been missing for several days, was discovered dead Wednesday afternoon in rural Nash County. Our officers discovered Moreau’s body in his tent near US-highway 264 alternate, just west of the town of Middlesex. There appears to be no sign of foul play.

Moreau was fulfilling a dream to ride the entire route from his home in Massachusetts to Florida. He stopped at a Verizon store in Knightdale on September 17th to replace his phone, then apparently continued east past Wendell. He made contact with his family Friday night, but hadn't been heard from since.

Knightdale investigators worked with the phone company to determine the last location of Moreau’s new phone near Middlesex. We spent much of Wednesday searching the rural area and discovered his body and belongings in a shady spot not far from the road.

During the search, Moreau’s family worked diligently to ask for help; they distributed his photo through social media and stayed in touch with investigators.

Our hearts to go out to this family who has worked so hard to find their loved one. We can’t thank them enough for being accessible and doing everything they could to help.

We would like to sincerely thank the Nash County Sheriff's Office and the North Carolina Highway Patrol for their assistance with the investigation.
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...87436748054587

This news made me sad. My husband reassured me at least Richard died doing something he dreamed of, but I am not sure right now it helps. I feel so much for his family and friends.