Fight in Houston School

kato

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Just heard on the local news that some students at Jones High School and some new students from N.O. got into a fight. There were 5 arrests. Some on both sides.

Supposedly, someone was filming the N.O. kids like they were some kind of freak show is what I gather.

Damn shame.

A little more info.. A girl was hit with a belet buckle, a soda can was thrown.

They were saying they didn't want to be in Houston. A woman on the news (not at the fight) said, "Well, if they don't want to be here they can go back to N.O.."

A new student from N.O. say they get stared at like they are aliens or something.

I think it is inevitiable that there are going to be problems mainstreaming thousands of kids coming out of a disaster into the Public School System.

These kids are living in preasure cookers of stress outside of the school environment as well.

tybee204 said:
I think it is inevitiable that there are going to be problems mainstreaming thousands of kids coming out of a disaster into the Public School System.

These kids are living in preasure cookers of stress outside of the school environment as well.

I know. Poor kids.

I just don't know what to say. I'm so sorry for the problems Texas has had with the evacuees. Please try to remember that these kids have lost their whole sense of home and some of them have lost family members. The fighting is definitely not a way to gain trust in a new community, they are making some poor decisions right now. I hope the school has counselors who can talk with them and determine if they are real trouble makers (and if they are, bump em out on their booties) or if they are just traumatized. They may need someone to help them deal with all the emotional issues.

The majority of our evacuees began school yesterday here in Lafayette. The worst problem we had was that some of them cried. Poor kiddos.

kgeaux said:
I just don't know what to say. I'm so sorry for the problems Texas has had with the evacuees. Please try to remember that these kids have lost their whole sense of home and some of them have lost family members. The fighting is definitely not a way to gain trust in a new community, they are making some poor decisions right now. I hope the school has counselors who can talk with them and determine if they are real trouble makers (and if they are, bump em out on their booties) or if they are just traumatized. They may need someone to help them deal with all the emotional issues.

The majority of our evacuees began school yesterday here in Lafayette. The worst problem we had was that some of them cried. Poor kiddos.

I'm not meaning to come off as resentful. I'm glad we could help them. Just trying to update that's all.

Of course there are going to be problems. None of this is normal either for the people from NOLA or the citizens for Houston. We have got to keep all in our prayers. I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not the evacuees have to wear wristbands or anyother identifying factor to school.

jannuncutt said:
Of course there are going to be problems. None of this is normal either for the people from NOLA or the citizens for Houston. We have got to keep all in are prayers. I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not the evacuees have to wear wristbands or anyother identifying factor to school.

Probably so. In the shelters they do. If they do I know that could be very uncomfortable cuz it would make them stand out. I'm sure it's used for positive purposes like for getting free lunches and supplies and stuff.

kato said:
They were saying they didn't want to be in Houston. A woman on the news (not at the fight) said, "Well, if they don't want to be here they can go back to N.O.."
Nice. What a welcoming attitude for evacuee CHILDREN.

BirdieBoo said:
Nice. What a welcoming attitude for evacuee CHILDREN.

Yes, quite rude. I wish I could go track her down. She was an elderly woman about 65-70. You'd think she'd know better. Guess not.

I was watching a report on where the dead were being taken to a small town outisde New Orleans to a make shift morgue. A woman in a store there said" Id rather they come here dead then alive".

I just couldnt believe it.

tybee204 said:
I was watching a report on where the dead were being taken to a small town outisde New Orleans to a make shift morgue. A woman in a store there said" Id rather they come here dead then alive".

Man! I can't think of a word to desribe that comment. She needs to be strung up and whooped! BEOTCH!

tybee204 said:

Good Lord! I propose a nationwide "attitude check", where those with these kinds of bad attitudes can be put on Katrina cleanup work detail for a week or so. Kind of like when you are a snotty teen and your father makes you clean out the garage as a punishment. Because some of these attitudes are so juvenile and selfish.

BirdieBoo said:
Good Lord! I propose a nationwide "attitude check", where those with these kinds of bad attitudes can be put on Katrina cleanup work detail for a week or so. Kind of like when you are a snotty teen and your father makes you clean out the garage as a punishment. Because some of these attitudes are so juvenile and selfish.

She might have a different attitude if she was forced to live on her roof for 3 days in N.O. heat while her dead neighbors floated by. I'm sorry, that way of thinking just makes me ill.

kato said:
Man! I can't think of a word to desribe that comment. She needs to be strung up and whooped! BEOTCH!
Wake up. For the most part the other towns in LA have seriously disliked/mistrusted NO for centuries. Its the big city where the the rubes get fleeced and mugged and shook down, and it shares a reputation much like that of pre-Guiliani NYC for being full of crooks, con-men & hookers. And after watching the looting and other crap on CNN, I would be leery as well, especially if I lived in a small town with A sheriff.

BillyGoatGruff said:
Wake up. For the most part the other towns in LA have seriously disliked/mistrusted NO for centuries. Its the big city where the the rubes get fleeced and mugged and shook down, and it shares a reputation much like that of pre-Guiliani NYC for being full of crooks, con-men & hookers. And after watching the looting and other crap on CNN, I would be leery as well, especially if I lived in a small town with A sheriff.

Excuse me I'm awake big time. Well, hell I live in Houston where I'm sure our already high crime rate will go up since most evacuees plan to make their home here. But I'll still treat them as humans until they show me otherwise.

amandab said:
She might have a different attitude if she was forced to live on her roof for 3 days in N.O. heat while her dead neighbors floated by. I'm sorry, that way of thinking just makes me ill.
Me too. I know we can't do the "nationwide attitude check" but I was only half joking, these kind of attitudes are just terrible, and detrimental to getting our country back up on it's feet again after a disaster like this. Seriously, I believe in free speech and all that, but to say that she prefers evacuees to be dead than alive borders on hate speech IMO.

kato said:
Excuse me I'm awake big time. Well, hell I live in Houston where I'm sure our already high crime rate will go up since most evacuees plan to make their home here. But I'll still treat them as humans until they show me otherwise.
What you're morely likely to see (since it appears the gangbangers are being culled and shipped back to LA at the shelters at the first sign of trouble) is how woefully behind these kids are in their education. Whatever grade they're supposed to be in, they're probably performing two grades below it, assuming they attended a public and not a parochial school. And since the various archdiocese around the country are accomodating the displaced Catholic school children, I doubt there will be much overlap. As I said, New Orleans public schools are, for the most part, pretty bad, mostly due to lack of funding. No one was ever willing to raise the tax levies for the schools--after all, most of their kids were in parochial school.

kato said:
America at large is suddenly going to learn a lot more about the very byzantine connections of race, class & culture that have made NO what it is, both good and bad, for 300 years. Forget all the tourist-friendly BS. Pretty soon the city's psyche--which is as twisted & knotty as a cypress knee--will be laid bare as thousands upon thousands of displaced New Orleanians attempt to blend into new communities. Bear in mind many of these are people who have lived in NO for upwards of 6 generations, and some who have never left it before, period. It's going to be like putting saltwater fish in a freshwater aquarium.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back