816 users online (136 members and 680 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

LA - 35 patients die in Chalmette nursing home during Katrina, 29 Aug 2005

No details yet, just Breaking News from the Net

I'm so happy that they did this!!!!! I'm angry as hell that they needed to, but those two monsters deserve to be dealt with by this community.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050913/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUlLouisiana nursing home operators charged in deaths

Quote 1
    BATON ROUGE (Reuters) - The owners of a nursing home where 34 people were found dead after Hurricane Katrina have been arrested and charged with 34 counts of negligent homicide for not evacuating those patients, the Louisiana attorney general's office said on Tuesday.

more at link...

Owners charged with 34 counts of homicide

I would like to hear their excuses for this one. Were they convinced they would be safe? I hope this sheds some light on just how minds were focused prior to the hurricane.

On television last night Nancy Grace was talking to one of the workers there who said she ended up trying to save some of them by floating them out of there. They got all of the patients that they could onto the roof. Apparently the two owners had rowed away in a boat earlier. Somone said later that they were seen out "shopping."

OMG, they are in troubllllllllllllllllllllllllllle!

Couldn't happen to two more deserving people!

http://www.breitbart.com/news/na/D8CJKVD8A.html

By DOUG SIMPSON
    Associated Press Writer

BATON ROUGE, La.

The husband-and-wife owners of a New Orleans-area nursing home where 34 people died in Hurricane Katrina's floodwaters were charged Tuesday with negligent homicide.

The case represents the first major prosecution to come out of the disaster in New Orleans.

The owners of St. Rita's Nursing Home in the town of Chalmette "were asked if they wanted to move (the patients). They did not. They were warned repeatedly that this storm was coming. In effect, their inaction resulted in the deaths of these patients," Louisiana Attorney General Charles Foti said.

Salvador A. Mangano and his wife, Mable, surrendered and were jailed on 34 counts of negligent homicide. Each count carries up to five years in prison.

The attorney general said he is also investigating the discovery of more than 40 corpses at flooded-out Memorial Medical Center, in New Orleans' Uptown section.

The Manganos had an evacuation plan as required under state law and a contract with an ambulance service to evacuate the patients, but they did not call the company, Foti said. They also turned down an offer from St. Bernard Parish officials who asked if the nursing home wanted help evacuating, he said.

Foti said the bodies have not all been identified and he was not sure how many of the victims were patients or staff.

Corpus Christi, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    On television last night Nancy Grace was talking to one of the workers there who said she ended up trying to save some of them by floating them out of there. They got all of the patients that they could onto the roof. Apparently the two owners had rowed away in a boat earlier. Somone said later that they were seen out "shopping."

I saw this program last night as well. That poor woman (worker) who was helping save those people, didn't even know how to swim! She's lucky she was saved, IMO.

JMHO
    fran

Thank you everyone!

Afer I posted this thread I had to make an emergency run over to my mom's and thanks to all of you I have the latest on this horrible tradegy.

Thanks again, you are a wonderful group.

Quote Originally Posted by rollerbladr123
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050913/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUlLouisiana nursing home operators charged in deaths

Quote 1
    BATON ROUGE (Reuters) - The owners of a nursing home where 34 people were found dead after Hurricane Katrina have been arrested and charged with 34 counts of negligent homicide for not evacuating those patients, the Louisiana attorney general's office said on Tuesday.

more at link...
    Thank God!!

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux
    Thank God!!
    I'm wondering now if this is the place that Aaron Boussard referred to as where the call was coming from to her son who works in the same building as Boussard for help?

On Dan Abrams

Dan Abrams had the coroner from New Orleans on -he has completed autopsies on 2 of the patients of St. Rita's and the cause of death for both victims was drowning. The autopsies of the other 32 patients will be done in the coming days. The coroner could not say whether the D.A. had additional info right now to charge all 34 victims with negligent homicide. As usual, a LA defense attorney said that prosecution of such a case would be difficult under Louisiana law.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom'sGirl
    I'm wondering now if this is the place that Aaron Boussard referred to as where the call was coming from to her son whop works in the same building as Boussard for help?

I don't know. But if people were left to die at other nursing homes, then those people need to face charges, too. I'm wondering about patients who died at Tulane and Charity.....those patients should have been evacuated pre-storm also. Who made the decision to leave them there, and will those face charges also? I hope so.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast