LA - 35 patients die in Chalmette nursing home during Katrina, 29 Aug 2005

Tom'sGirl

Former Member
Reaction score
No details yet, just Breaking News from the Net

I'm so happy that they did this!!!!! I'm angry as hell that they needed to, but those two monsters deserve to be dealt with by this community.

I would like to hear their excuses for this one. Were they convinced they would be safe? I hope this sheds some light on just how minds were focused prior to the hurricane.

On television last night Nancy Grace was talking to one of the workers there who said she ended up trying to save some of them by floating them out of there. They got all of the patients that they could onto the roof. Apparently the two owners had rowed away in a boat earlier. Somone said later that they were seen out "shopping." :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/na/D8CJKVD8A.html

By DOUG SIMPSON
Associated Press Writer

BATON ROUGE, La.

The husband-and-wife owners of a New Orleans-area nursing home where 34 people died in Hurricane Katrina's floodwaters were charged Tuesday with negligent homicide.

The case represents the first major prosecution to come out of the disaster in New Orleans.

The owners of St. Rita's Nursing Home in the town of Chalmette "were asked if they wanted to move (the patients). They did not. They were warned repeatedly that this storm was coming. In effect, their inaction resulted in the deaths of these patients," Louisiana Attorney General Charles Foti said.

Salvador A. Mangano and his wife, Mable, surrendered and were jailed on 34 counts of negligent homicide. Each count carries up to five years in prison.

The attorney general said he is also investigating the discovery of more than 40 corpses at flooded-out Memorial Medical Center, in New Orleans' Uptown section.

The Manganos had an evacuation plan as required under state law and a contract with an ambulance service to evacuate the patients, but they did not call the company, Foti said. They also turned down an offer from St. Bernard Parish officials who asked if the nursing home wanted help evacuating, he said.

Foti said the bodies have not all been identified and he was not sure how many of the victims were patients or staff.

Jeana (DP) said:
On television last night Nancy Grace was talking to one of the workers there who said she ended up trying to save some of them by floating them out of there. They got all of the patients that they could onto the roof. Apparently the two owners had rowed away in a boat earlier. Somone said later that they were seen out "shopping." :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I saw this program last night as well. That poor woman (worker) who was helping save those people, didn't even know how to swim! She's lucky she was saved, IMO.

JMHO
fran

Afer I posted this thread I had to make an emergency run over to my mom's and thanks to all of you I have the latest on this horrible tradegy.

Thanks again, you are a wonderful group.

rollerbladr123 said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050913/ts_nm/katrina_charges_dc_2;_ylt=AhH.NYDhEnAbC8KQIZYjEGIbLisB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUlLouisiana nursing home operators charged in deaths

Quote 1
BATON ROUGE (Reuters) - The owners of a nursing home where 34 people were found dead after Hurricane Katrina have been arrested and charged with 34 counts of negligent homicide for not evacuating those patients, the Louisiana attorney general's office said on Tuesday.

more at link...

Thank God!!

kgeaux said:
Thank God!!
I'm wondering now if this is the place that Aaron Boussard referred to as where the call was coming from to her son who works in the same building as Boussard for help?

Dan Abrams had the coroner from New Orleans on -he has completed autopsies on 2 of the patients of St. Rita's and the cause of death for both victims was drowning. The autopsies of the other 32 patients will be done in the coming days. The coroner could not say whether the D.A. had additional info right now to charge all 34 victims with negligent homicide. As usual, a LA defense attorney said that prosecution of such a case would be difficult under Louisiana law.

Tom'sGirl said:
I'm wondering now if this is the place that Aaron Boussard referred to as where the call was coming from to her son whop works in the same building as Boussard for help?

I don't know. But if people were left to die at other nursing homes, then those people need to face charges, too. I'm wondering about patients who died at Tulane and Charity.....those patients should have been evacuated pre-storm also. Who made the decision to leave them there, and will those face charges also? I hope so.

rollerbladr123 said:
Dan Abrams had the coroner from New Orleans on -he has completed autopsies on 2 of the patients of St. Rita's and the cause of death for both victims was drowning. The autopsies of the other 32 patients will be done in the coming days. The coroner could not say whether the D.A. had additional info right now to charge all 34 victims with negligent homicide. As usual, a LA defense attorney said that prosecution of such a case would be difficult under Louisiana law.

Not if I'm on the jury. I wouldn't have a hard time convicting at all. I would think failure to provide reasonable care and negligence would be easy to prove. I have a 98 year old grandmother, and I can only imagine how heart rending it would be to know someone left her to drown. God.

kgeaux said:
I don't know. But if people were left to die at other nursing homes, then those people need to face charges, too. I'm wondering about patients who died at Tulane and Charity.....those patients should have been evacuated pre-storm also. Who made the decision to leave them there, and will those face charges also? I hope so.
I believe what I heard about the patients at Tulane and Charity - it wasn't because of being abandoned they died - they died because the nurses and doctors were unable to save them - the heat and lack of air conditioning was a major factor in killing some of them - for others, it was just their time. Naturally, they didn't evacuate the corpses from the hospitals when they were working on getting the patients out.

Pre-storm - I don't know if they evacuated anyone, but I know some patients were too sick to move - evacuating a hospital kills patients who could otherwise survive. Hospitals are made to survive most disasters anyway - generators, special construction codes, etc. Nurses and doctors stay behind. I think the hospitals don't usually evacuate. They're supposed to be there, ready to take care of the storm's victims.

A nursing home is completely different though - they aren't built to be a shelter in a hurricane.

kgeaux said:
Not if I'm on the jury. I wouldn't have a hard time convicting at all. I would think failure to provide reasonable care and negligence would be easy to prove. I have a 98 year old grandmother, and I can only imagine how heart rending it would be to know someone left her to drown. God.

Assoc Press:

The Manganos had an evacuation plan as required under state law and a contract with an ambulance service to evacuate the patients, but they did not call the company, Foti said. They also turned down an offer from St. Bernard Parish officials who asked if the nursing home wanted help evacuating, he said.

-------------------------What was wrong with those people. My grandma died at 100 a couple of years ago and I cannot abide people who would abandon the elderly.

Details said:
I believe what I heard about the patients at Tulane and Charity - it wasn't because of being abandoned they died - they died because the nurses and doctors were unable to save them - the heat and lack of air conditioning was a major factor in killing some of them - for others, it was just their time. Naturally, they didn't evacuate the corpses from the hospitals when they were working on getting the patients out.

Pre-storm - I don't know if they evacuated anyone, but I know some patients were too sick to move - evacuating a hospital kills patients who could otherwise survive. Hospitals are made to survive most disasters anyway - generators, special construction codes, etc. Nurses and doctors stay behind. I think the hospitals don't usually evacuate. They're supposed to be there, ready to take care of the storm's victims.

A nursing home is completely different though - they aren't built to be a shelter in a hurricane.

Yes, I know. But I am wondering if those hospitals emergency evacuation plans were followed. There has been talk that their plans were not followed completely. To me, that would be just as negligent as the nursing home failing to follow their evacuation plan.

kgeaux said:

Yeah Kgeaux I dont think it would be a problem at all to convict these two particularly given the fact that they were given two clear warnings for evacuation prior to the levee break. If 34 cause of deaths turn out to be drowning, i don't see too much of a problem to convict-BUT what the defense attorney was trying to do was as usual trying to deflect blame that others were responsible for not evacuating the patients too.. anyways Anderson Cooper 360 on CNN is also doing a detailed segment on this..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back