Trapped, pregnant dog will break your heart, make you smile too

zwiebel

Reaction score
Street repair crews called out to mend a hole in a pavement in a town in Russia did a good job. But they either didn't check or didn't care that a pregnant dog had made her home there.

After two days of fruitless complaints to authorities about the piteous howls from beneath the cobblestones, a local resident dug up the stones himself and rescued her.

The heavily pregnant dog lost all her puppies due to her ordeal, but the good news is that people raised funds to pay her vets bills and she'll eventually be rehomed.

Video of the rescue at the link.... Am I the only one who wouldn't wait two hours, let alone two days if I heard howls beneath the pavement?
http://m.kmbc.com/national/cnn-van/...um=twitter&utm_source=trueAnthem:+New+Content

Attachments

• CQF7kPwWcAAvkJF.jpg
    CQF7kPwWcAAvkJF.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 62
The town was Voronezh but I can't find the name of the hero who ripped those cobblestones up. He'd probably get charged to replace them so maybe it's best left alone.

We have those same sort of cobblestones where I live. Building them over anything but a really solid ground with a thick layer of sand then gravel means they quickly collapse and become trip and fall hazards. Maybe it's time for Voronezh authorities to investigate how well their taxpayer-funded street repairs are carried out?

Am I the only one who wouldn't wait two hours, let alone two days if I heard howls beneath the pavement?

<snipped for focus>

No, you're not. I'd have been right there with you getting that dog out.

Here's a hard-to-believe story out of Raleigh. Dog in car, owners arrested. Neighbors notice dog in car, realize it's been there quite a while. Call police. Police call firefighters. They couldn't get into the car without breaking a window, and apparently NO ONE was willing to break a window.

They finally went to the jail and got the car keys from the owners. Many HOURS later.

http://abc11.com/pets/dog-rescued-from-car-after-owners-arrested-in-raleigh/1007088/

I read recently that one state is trying to pass legislation that means no-one can be sued or prosecuted for breaking into a vehicle to save a pet or a child. Can't recall where it is now, maybe Florida?

Seems like commonsense to me, anyhow.

I read recently that one state is trying to pass legislation that means no-one can be sued or prosecuted for breaking into a vehicle to save a pet or a child. Can't recall where it is now, maybe Florida?

Seems like commonsense to me, anyhow.

It is not that clear cut. There is no reason a kid should or would be left in a car. Dogs are another matter, you can't take them into a c-store for 5 minutes etc...

Biggest difference is that breaking a window to free a baby won't lead to:

a) the baby running away at 30 MPH only to get run over on a roadway

b) the baby attacking the window breaker and going into rabies qurantine OR being designated a "vicious baby" that needs to be put down

c) a frightened baby getting shot dead by police when baby scares people or approaches police in the parking lot

Would I break out a window to save a dog in serious distress? Absolutely. Do I want crazy fools breaking out my car windows to "free" my dog any time they feel like it? No.

It is not that clear cut. There is no reason a kid should or would be left in a car. Dogs are another matter, you can't take them into a c-store for 5 minutes etc...

b) the baby attacking the window breaker and going into rabies qurantine OR being designated a "vicious baby" that needs to be put down

c) a frightened baby getting shot dead by police when baby scares people or approaches police in the parking lot

Would I break out a window to save a dog in serious distress? Absolutely. Do I want crazy fools breaking out my car windows to "free" my dog any time they feel like it? No.

This was a tiny little dog, not a huge beast. I am not sure why these people had left the dog in the car to begin with (before they gotten arrested). I hope this dog isn't reunited with them.

This was a tiny little dog, not a huge beast. I am not sure why these people had left the dog in the car to begin with (before they gotten arrested). I hope this dog isn't reunited with them.

Since the owners were incarcerated the story is stupid. They had reason to believe the dog was basically "boarded/living" in the vehicle possible for days at that point without food/water plus the heat risk, the dog had no one to care for him/her and could have been classified as "abandoned". That would violate the law and would justify freeing the dog by any means necessary.

My comment was in response to the idea that dogs and babies should be treated the same if they are spotted alone in a vehicle. If a baby is left unattended in a vehicle that is a crime, but good judgement needs to be used when citizens decide to free dogs from a vehicle and there are some "crazy citizens" out there.

In GA the police come right away if there is a call for an animal in a hot car and they do bust the animal out before citing/arresting the owner.

Very good points.

Living in south Florida, I hardly ever leave my dogs in the car for any length of time. Not during the day. Even in January, it can get hot enough to kill a dog pretty quickly.

The other day, after the obedience class that I teach, I needed to stop at the grocery store on my way home, and I had one of my dogs with me. It was about 9 in the evening, full dark out, and I went in to get exactly 2 things. I left my dog in the car.

The whole 5 minutes I was inside the store, I had this niggling little worry that some misguided do-gooder would break out a window in my car to free the dog.

Sadly, way too many people don't have the common sense not to leave a dog or baby in a hot car.

And also sadly, way too many people don't have the common sense to recognize when it's not dangerous to leave a dog in the car.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back