GA - Doug Gissendaner, 30, abducted & murdered, Auburn, 7 Feb 1997

zwiebel

Reaction score
Kelly Gissendaner who was convicted of orchestrating her husband Douglas's murder in 1997, was executed at 12.21am Georgia time. She's the first woman to be executed in Georgia in over 70 years and her death followed numerous appeals, including one from the Pope.

Gregory Owen, who carried out the murder, struck a plea deal to avoid the death sentence.

Witnesses to the execution told local media that she sang Amazing Grace before being given a lethal injection.

"Bless you all," she was quoted as saying by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "Tell the Gissendaners I am so, so sorry that an amazing man lost his life because of me. If I could take it all back, I would."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34393027

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/us/kelly-gissendaner-execution-georgia.html?_r=0

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-30-11-55-17-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-30-11-55-17-1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 169
I must say, I really thought she world get a reprieve.

Thank you Georgia (my home state) for growing a pair and upholding the law.
I feel so sorry for her children. They did not deserve this, the law is the law.

I know losing a parent via natural causes, automobile accident, etc. is so devastating and your heart is ripped to shreds
along with mountains of pain, but having a parent executed for a crime committed against the other parent, other relatives, loved ones, friends and complete strangers
is beyond my comprehension. I pray they can get past this.

I saw this last night, first I had heard of it. Weird since I lived next door to Gwinnett county when this all took place.

I am also surprised they carried out the execution. She didn't really compare to some of the other horrendous GA murderers that have gotten LWOP.

I saw this last night, first I had heard of it. Weird since I lived next door to Gwinnett county when this all took place.

I am also surprised they carried out the execution. She didn't really compare to some of the other horrendous GA murderers that have gotten LWOP.

I am surprised also. I don't think the crime was exceptionally gruesome to even qualify for the death penalty. Her children didn't want her to be executed.

It may not have been specially gruesome, but she did ask her new boyfriend to KILL her husband, the father of her children, so she could avoid the messy divorce and cash in on the insurance money. Sounds worthy of the DP to me. Pretty cold hearted and callous behavior, in my opinion.

Prosecutors said Gissendaner, a mother of three from Auburn, wanted her husband dead so she could profit from two $10,000 life insurance policies and the couple's $84,000 house.

She dropped off Owen at her Auburn house before going out with friends on Feb. 7, 1997. Owen surprised 30-year-old Doug Gissendaner and forced him at knifepoint to drive to a remote area in eastern Gwinnett near the Walton County line.

Owen forced the victim to walk 100 yards into the woods and get down on his knees. He beat him in the head with a nightstick, stabbed him in the neck and back several times and left. The wife later helped her boyfriend set the car on fire to destroy evidence.

http://murderpedia.org/female.G/g/gissendaner-kelly.htm

Thank you, katydid, and scmom.

It always deeply bothers me that media articles that appear near the time of execution for convicted murderers, seldom seem to mention much about the murder victim/s, or the circumstances of the heinous murders they are convicted of. Sometimes they don't even name the victim, and you have to google the murderer to find out who they killed. If the victim/s and the crimes are mentioned at all, it's brief and perfunctory- like the crime and the victims are an annoyance or an afterthought to the reporter. Or like the victims are something superficial, like naming the elementary school the murderer went to, or something similar.

It's often like the victims never existed. And the longer the murderers have been on death row, the less likely (IMO)it is that their victims will be discussed by the media. That's quite deliberate, I think. They want all the readers to forget all about the victims, so we will muster up some sympathy for the condemned-- and most especially if they were "model prisoners", or experienced fervent religious conversion.

Karla Faye Tucker, a pretty young woman in Texas, was also put to death for her crimes. She killed 2 people with a pickax while robbing them for car parts with her BF. She also "got religion" while in prison, and many thought her conversion was sincere.

If Kelly Gissendaner was a man, who had arranged for his girlfriend to stab his wife to death, there wouldn't be this much attention. The implication with Kelly Gissendaner is that she should not be executed because she was a woman, a mother, a model prisoner, and very religious during her imprisonment. The media (and others) seems to think those things should be sufficient to change the outcome of the crime, the trial, the conviction, the appeals, and the sentence. The media isn't, and hasn't been impartial in much of their reporting for a very long time (if they ever were!).

Just because a person gets religion and is forgiven by their maker, it doesn't mean that they don't have to accept the consequences of their actions IMO.

It may not have been specially gruesome, but she did ask her new boyfriend to KILL her husband, the father of her children, so she could avoid the messy divorce and cash in on the insurance money. Sounds worthy of the DP to me. Pretty cold hearted and callous behavior, in my opinion.

Yes, katydid, I beLIEve the conspiracy & murder for insurance paid a huge part in her getting DP.
I'll never understand killing anyone instead of getting a divorce, especially the father/mum of your children.

A conscience, decency & just plain morals is not something one can purchase at the local 7-11.

She got what she deserved IMO. I am not passing judgement, that's not for me to do, JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K_Z, scmom, Tillicum, katydid, jjenny, Sonya610 & zwiebel, this is what I love about everyone here at WS, RESPECT.
Taking a quote from Kenda, "Someone has to stand up for the victim."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driven (can you imagine what he was thinking) and then beat to death.

Horrendous.

Nope, my heart just can't find any sympathy for her, over $10K and a house.

Sorry.

I am surprised also. I don't think the crime was exceptionally gruesome to even qualify for the death penalty. Her children didn't want her to be executed.

I feel enormously sad for them and really hate that their lives have been shattered like this. And while they are victims, their mother is not. They don't get to decide her fate.

It's your run of the mill murder which she didn't even commit herself. People who committed much more heinous crimes don't get the death penalty.

It's your run of the mill murder which she didn't even commit herself. People who committed much more heinous crimes don't get the death penalty.

I have to agree here. Murder is always ugly but I don't think she should have gotten death. LWOP would have been more in line with what the actual murderer got.

And Jodi Arias gets life in Prison. UGH

If someone hires another person to brutally kill their spouse, does that mean they are 'less' guilty of murder?

She dropped the hired hitman off at her home, and went out partying with her friends, knowing her husband was about to be brutally murdered. Then she helped cover up the crime scene by setting the car on fire.

She was given the option of LIFE with possibility of parole---and she herself turned it down. She rolled the dice and went for the trial hoping to walk away free. Oh well....

She did get 28 more years of life than her murdered husband. She also had the opportunity to tell her family goodbye which is more than her husband got.

If someone hires another person to brutally kill their spouse, does that mean they are 'less' guilty of murder?

She dropped the hired hitman off at her home, and went out partying with her friends, knowing her husband was about to be brutally murdered. Then she helped cover up the crime scene by setting the car on fire.

She was given the option of LIFE with possibility of parole---and she herself turned it down. She rolled the dice and went for the trial hoping to walk away free. Oh well....

No sympathy here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pandamom76
Back