US anti-abortionist banned from Australia, detained in Melbourne

Brightbird

Reaction score
Well, this just got more interesting. US anti-abortionist Troy Newman was scheduled to visit Australia on a speaking tour. His visa was cancelled after it was decided that he failed the character test for Australia. The justification is that he promotes violence (and harassment perhaps?). He was taken off a flight in Denver when his visa was revoked yesterday. Now.... he's arrived in Melbourne and is in the custody of immigration awaiting deportation or a successful appeal. The airline that flew him here is facing a fine.

On Facebook on Wednesday, Mr Newman asked people to pray for him, saying he was "stuck in Denver airport like a man without a country".

"Through a chain of events the Lord has allowed me to get on a plane in spite of many objections by the airlines and Australia," he wrote at about 4am EST.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...-australia-20150930-gjy6a5.html#ixzz3nI9LzIxR

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-01/troy-newman-detained-after-flying-to-melbourne/6819410

He should be careful, and get out as fast as he can. Denver is the most Satanic of all airports.

Or not. Maybe it's better if he just stays there forever.

Well, this just got more interesting. US anti-abortionist Troy Newman was scheduled to visit Australia on a speaking tour. His visa was cancelled after it was decided that he failed the character test for Australia. The justification is that he promotes violence (and harassment perhaps?). He was taken off a flight in Denver when his visa was revoked yesterday. Now.... he's arrived in Melbourne and is in the custody of immigration awaiting deportation or a successful appeal. The airline that flew him here is facing a fine.

On Facebook on Wednesday, Mr Newman asked people to pray for him, saying he was "stuck in Denver airport like a man without a country".

"Through a chain of events the Lord has allowed me to get on a plane in spite of many objections by the airlines and Australia," he wrote at about 4am EST.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...-australia-20150930-gjy6a5.html#ixzz3nI9LzIxR

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-01/troy-newman-detained-after-flying-to-melbourne/6819410

That was a major breach of security in LA. They denied him boarding in Denver, but then let him board in LA. :facepalm: Unbelievable. If thats the way United Airlines runs their operation, terrorists could just as easily illegally enter the US with the same method.

Anyways, I hope this guy's scheme is not successful, and they deport him back to the US ASAP. He clearly has no respect for laws, of the US or Australia.

That was a major breach of security in LA. They denied him boarding in Denver, but then let him board in LA. :facepalm: Unbelievable. If thats the way United Airlines runs their operation, terrorists could just as easily illegally enter the US with the same method.

Anyways, I hope this guy's scheme is not successful, and they deport him back to the US ASAP. He clearly has no respect for laws, of the US or Australia.

Yes, someone speaking on tele last night said the same thing. It is a worry that you can board an international flight with a cancelled visa.

As much as I find this guy's views disgusting, I think the case for cancelling his visa is a bit iffy. But the arrogance of boarding a flight anyway is pretty astounding. I see he's saying now that he thought it was just a "hiccup" in Denver, and he's "completely confused" about Australian immigration nabbing him at the airport. I admit that I'm getting a bit of kick that he's being held in the Marbynong detention centre right now.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...face-high-court-visa-bid-20151001-gjzkql.html

Yes, someone speaking on tele last night said the same thing. It is a worry that you can board an international flight with a cancelled visa.

As much as I find this guy's views disgusting, I think the case for cancelling his visa is a bit iffy. But the arrogance of boarding a flight anyway is pretty astounding. I see he's saying now that he thought it was just a "hiccup" in Denver, and he's "completely confused" about Australian immigration nabbing him at the airport. I admit that I'm getting a bit of kick that he's being held in the Marbynong detention centre right now.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...face-high-court-visa-bid-20151001-gjzkql.html

I disagree, I think Australia did the right thing canceling his visa. There are a lot of these rightwing terrorists here in the US. I don't blame Australia for wanting to keep them out of that country. But even if Australian courts rule that he should have been admitted to Australia, he should still be deported. Because he still got on the flight under false pretenses, after being told that his visa was cancelled, and that he was not being allowed entry to Australia.

Uhhh...... Talk about no respect for the law.

He knew his visa was cancelled and he took a different airport?! How many airports denied him before he hit LAX?

He should be careful, and get out as fast as he can. Denver is the most Satanic of all airports.

Or not. Maybe it's better if he just stays there forever.

OT

I know what you are talking about, unfortunately. I learned about the Satanic Denver Airport when my husband became a born again Christian and started to watch all sorts of crazy YouTube videos about end times, Illuminati, New World Order, and a secret underground base at the Denver Airport.

And he's being deported. What an idiot. I wonder if his deportation is divine intervention as well :giggle:

The department believed Mr Newman's presence would be "a threat to good order", and his views on abortion could lead to protests that would compromise the safety and wellbeing of women seeking legal medical procedures, and medical staff performing those procedures. Australian Border Force officers detained Mr Newman on his arrival in Melbourne and he spent Thursday night at the Maribyrnong detention centre.

Mr Howe told the High Court this was "the natural consequence of his decision to come to Australia in circumstances where he was informed he wasn't entitled to". Justice Geoffrey Nettle said while there was an implied right in the constitution to freedom of political communication, that right was given to Australian citizens. "Like everyone else in this country he is bound by lawful authority and must obey...he does not come to this court with clean hands."

Justice Nettle said it had not been proven that Mr Newman had advocated the death penalty for doctors who perform abortion, as had been alleged, and there was no evidence that the anti-abortion protests he had been involved with in the United States had been violent.

The department cancelled Mr Newman's visa and sent him an email to alert him to the fact. When the email bounced back, a copy of the email was posted to him. But by this time, Mr Newman was in a plane on the way to Australia. However, Justice Nettle said Mr Newman had been made aware by airline staff that his visa had been revoked, and he could have stayed in America and engaged a legal team to fight the matter there, rather than board another plane. Mr Newman's wife Melissa was in court to hear the verdict with supporters, but would not talk to reporters afterwards.

Lawyers for Mr Dutton and Mr Newman agreed to reappear in court on October 30, when the question of whether department was legally entitled to cancel Mr Newman's visa will be decided.
In his statement following the High Court ruling, Mr Dutton said Mr Newman had been treated in the same manner "as any other illegal arrival". "Any person who enters Australia without a valid visa and does not have a lawful basis to remain in Australia is expected to depart," Mr Dutton said. "His detention and removal is entirely related to his decision to openly flout Australian law and travel to Australia without a valid visa."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...-australia-20151002-gk058e.html#ixzz3nOgYusfN
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

I disagree, I think Australia did the right thing canceling his visa. There are a lot of these rightwing terrorists here in the US. I don't blame Australia for wanting to keep them out of that country. But even if Australian courts rule that he should have been admitted to Australia, he should still be deported. Because he still got on the flight under false pretenses, after being told that his visa was cancelled, and that he was not being allowed entry to Australia.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want him here either. Not for his extreme views or his obvious 'holier than thou' attitude to the law. I guess I'm just wary when a government minister makes a decision that someone fails the character test after they've already been granted a visa. Putting my impartial hat on, I worry about the abuse of that power. There has been some controversy lately about the powers of the immigration minister, so I suppose I remain sceptical.

Although I do believe that abortion should remain legal, I do have respect for people who see the barbaric nature of late term abortions, and of people who use abortion as a form of birth control. I don't believe this Operation Rescue guy really believes that abortion doctors should be executed. I think he is just making a point. Late term abortions are quite possibly 'murders' in some cases.

Although I do believe that abortion should remain legal, I do have respect for people who see the barbaric nature of late term abortions, and of people who use abortion as a form of birth control. I don't believe this Operation Rescue guy really believes that abortion doctors should be executed. I think he is just making a point. Late term abortions are quite possibly 'murders' in some cases.

I think he really does believe that abortion doctors should be executed. Him and his group Operation Rescue are totally against all abortion, not just late term. In the past, Troy Newman has said that any abortion is equal to murder, and he takes the biblical view that murder is punishable by death. In his book he said that America has to cleanse the "bloodguilt" from its land and people. He has blamed abortion for 9/11, cancer and AIDS. Granted, at least on the face of it, he has said they should be convicted of murder and executed lawfully. Unfortunately for him, a member of his group murdered an abortion doctor and later claimed Newman said he wouldn't mind if it happened. Apparently his group have harassed and intimidated clinic staff by following their cars, protesting on their front lawns, confronting them in restaurants, and rummaging through their rubbish.

This is an old article but it details their harassment of staff at the clinic run by George Tiller, the doctor who was ultimately murdered.

https://web.archive.org/web/2009061...iabortion_campaign_against_dr_george_tiller/4

Okay, I think I've moved off the fence into agreeing with the visa cancellation. Lol.

And because he believes that abortion is murder, it's OK for him to advocate murdering doctors that preform abortions? Do you see any hypocrisy there?

I completely believe this guy wants abortionists murdered.

OT

I know what you are talking about, unfortunately. I learned about the Satanic Denver Airport when my husband became a born again Christian and started to watch all sorts of crazy YouTube videos about end times, Illuminati, New World Order, and a secret underground base at the Denver Airport.

OT

Thank you! I am obsessed with that airport and if I ever get a layover there expect a WS thread FILLED with pictures and stories. Last time I flew I really did try to make the trip through Denver.

And because he believes that abortion is murder, it's OK for him to advocate murdering doctors that preform abortions? Do you see any hypocrisy there?

Wasn't that Eric Rudolph's big plan? How many lives did he save?

Its so funny, operation rescue talks about how he was a "political prisoner" and "held indefinitely" lol. It was so over the top the rhetoric.

He disregarded the laws and rules of australia and went there anyway knowing he wasn't welcome. That by itself told authorities what kind of person he is.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back