GUILTY OK - Barry Van Treese, 54, dies in contract killing, 7 Jan 1997 *arrest, execution*

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Oklahoma Governor Halts Richard Glossip Execution at Last Minute
by Tracy Connor
October 1, 2015

[...]
Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin halted the execution of Richard Glossip at the last minute on Wednesday after prison officials tried to go forward with the wrong drugs, officials said.

The stunning announcement came about an hour after the U.S. Supreme Court refused to stop the execution of Glossip, whose case drew a call for mercy from Pope Francis earlier in the day. The execution was rescheduled for Nov. 6.

"Last minute questions were raised today about Oklahoma's execution protocol and the chemicals used for lethal injection," Fallin said in a statement.

This undated file photo provided by the Oklahoma Department of Corrections shows Richard Glossip. Oklahoma Department of Corrections via AP

"After consulting with the attorney general and the Department of Corrections, I have issued a 37 day stay of execution while the state addresses those questions and ensures it is complying fully with the protocols approved by federal courts."

Oklahoma Governor Halts Richard Glossip Execution at Last Minute
by Tracy Connor
October 1, 2015

[...]
Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin halted the execution of Richard Glossip at the last minute on Wednesday after prison officials tried to go forward with the wrong drugs, officials said.

The stunning announcement came about an hour after the U.S. Supreme Court refused to stop the execution of Glossip, whose case drew a call for mercy from Pope Francis earlier in the day. The execution was rescheduled for Nov. 6.

"Last minute questions were raised today about Oklahoma's execution protocol and the chemicals used for lethal injection," Fallin said in a statement.

This undated file photo provided by the Oklahoma Department of Corrections shows Richard Glossip. Oklahoma Department of Corrections via AP

"After consulting with the attorney general and the Department of Corrections, I have issued a 37 day stay of execution while the state addresses those questions and ensures it is complying fully with the protocols approved by federal courts."

This is incredible that this is the 3rd time now they tried. What is most shocking to me was this time and the last time it was the same day as his execution and within hours of his execution time. The last 2 times he had already had his last meal.

I have mixed emotions about the death penalty but these last minute stays are not fair to anybody. I suppose the criminal doesn't mind if there is a last minute stay because the alternative is worse for them but it is shocking that these last minute stays always seem to happen. They happen in other states too.

This time it was because of questions about the lethal injection drugs being used.
Ever since states have not been able to obtain the old drug they used to use, this has caused a turmoil in lethal injection drugs used.

With the 3 different stays now, I think this criminal could now submit an appeal based on cruel and unusual punishment of almost being put on the table and then having things stop at the last minute. I could not imagine having to think you are about to die and then at the last minute everything stops. And do that 3 times now.

"The late cancellation of Glossip’s execution marked the third time this year that Oklahoma intended to carry out Glossip’s death sentence but had to cancel their plans."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...he-supreme-court-to-stay-his-execution-again/

Richard Glossip was tried, convicted and sentenced to death –twice- for capital murder (murder for hire). He has lost all his appeals, and has just been issued his 4th stay of execution.

Richard Glossip: Convicted of being the “mastermind” in a murder-for hire.
Justin Sneed: Convicted of actually carrying out the murder. Given LWOP for cooperating in the case against Glossip.
Barry Van Treese: The victim. Husband, father of five, Glossip’s employer.

Some good links if you want to read up on the case:

Background:

https://www.readfrontier.com/invest...ution-chamber-nears-glossips-notoriety-grows/

https://theintercept.com/2015/07/09...me-executions-richard-glossip-first-line-die/

http://www.sisterhelen.org/richard/ (leading the fight to save Glossip. See her links to the case for and against Glossip…yes, they’re slanted, but they lay out the story Glossip supporters hope the public will believe).

Ok Court of Appeals Ruling

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ok-court-of-criminal-appeals/1466730.html

Recent interview with Justin Sneed, who actually murdered the victim. Sneed is serving a LWOP sentence in a medium security prison:

https://www.readfrontier.com/invest...eaks-up-as-glossips-attorneys-continue-fight/

I've read everything there is read on Glossip's case. The original trial transcripts are not available online- they fill 17 binders, but 100's of pages of the transcripts are available on the Frontier site, linked above.

FWIW, I have no doubt at all that Glossip is guilty.

This is incredible that this is the 3rd time now they tried. What is most shocking to me was this time and the last time it was the same day as his execution and within hours of his execution time. The last 2 times he had already had his last meal.

I have mixed emotions about the death penalty but these last minute stays are not fair to anybody. I suppose the criminal doesn't mind if there is a last minute stay because the alternative is worse for them but it is shocking that these last minute stays always seem to happen. They happen in other states too.

This time it was because of questions about the lethal injection drugs being used.
Ever since states have not been able to obtain the old drug they used to use, this has caused a turmoil in lethal injection drugs used.

With the 3 different stays now, I think this criminal could now submit an appeal based on cruel and unusual punishment of almost being put on the table and then having things stop at the last minute. I could not imagine having to think you are about to die and then at the last minute everything stops. And do that 3 times now.

"The late cancellation of Glossip’s execution marked the third time this year that Oklahoma intended to carry out Glossip’s death sentence but had to cancel their plans."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...he-supreme-court-to-stay-his-execution-again/

The availability of drugs is becoming a huge issue. Glossip's execution was stayed this time because the drugs literally didn't arrive until the last minute. The DOC noticed then that the supplier had shipped the wrong 3rd drug- as a deliberate substitution, or by accident. OK is legally obligated to use only the drugs specified by law for executions, and the replacement drug wasn't on the list.

The 37 day stay, IMO, is to make sure that on the 38th day Glossip will be executed one way or another. A law was recently passed in OK allowing for an alternate method, nitrate (sp?) gas, effective date, approx. 36 days from date of Glossip's stay. If the DOC can't secure the 3rd drug they will use the gas instead.

The availability of drugs is becoming a huge issue. Glossip's execution was stayed this time because the drugs literally didn't arrive until the last minute. The DOC noticed then that the supplier had shipped the wrong 3rd drug- as a deliberate substitution, or by accident. OK is legally obligated to use only the drugs specified by law for executions, and the replacement drug wasn't on the list.

The 37 day stay, IMO, is to make sure that on the 38th day Glossip will be executed one way or another. A law was recently passed in OK allowing for an alternate method, nitrate (sp?) gas, effective date, approx. 36 days from date of Glossip's stay. If the DOC can't secure the 3rd drug they will use the gas instead.

Thanks for all the extra information.

I agree that ever since the manufacturer of pentobarbital stopped shipping to US because of DP it has caused all states to go into chaos.

No matter what side of the DP people stand nobody can be happy about what is happening lately. Its been chaos.

There is no easy answers and this is going to get more and more crazy I am afraid. I am not sure what they use for animals but whatever they use on dogs seems to work fine so I always wonder why this seems to be so difficult.

Here is what is so confusing to me.
They have many drugs that can put someone to sleep for operations. So if they administer that first and then administer a lethal dose of something else it seems it would be painless so I am not sure why this is so difficult to find an alternative combination of drugs.

It sounds so simple and yet it is chaos.

I now understand what you meant about the date they chose. I agree that is their plan now to use the gas if they have to next time.

Interesting. The gas sounds like it will work painlessly and quickly according to this article I found.

"One of the state legislators who sponsored the Oklahoma bill said that the new method would involve an inmate breathing in just nitrogen without oxygen, which he said would lead to the inmate becoming unconscious within 10 seconds and dead within minutes."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...trogen-gas-as-its-backup-method-of-execution/

I now understand what you meant about the date they chose. I agree that is their plan now to use the gas if they have to next time.

Interesting. The gas sounds like it will work painlessly and quickly according to this article I found.

"One of the state legislators who sponsored the Oklahoma bill said that the new method would involve an inmate breathing in just nitrogen without oxygen, which he said would lead to the inmate becoming unconscious within 10 seconds and dead within minutes."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...trogen-gas-as-its-backup-method-of-execution/

Gov. Fallin said a few days ago that OK will use lethal injection as method unless ruled unconstitutional. I guess the legislature voted on gas to make sure they had a backup if that happened. OK is pretty determined to hold onto their DP.

I surely do wish others here would join in on the Glossip case itself!!! There is a worldwide debate going on about whether or not he is innocent. I'd love for some other WS'ers to sleuth the record and weigh in.....

Regarding the above mentions of Oklahoma's recent passage of a law allowing inert gas asphyxiation as an alternate method of execution, here is a link to a thread at WS discussing that, from back in April of this year. There are a number of links, including a link to the 6 part British documentary on youtube, "How to Kill a Human Being", that thoroughly explores inert gas asphyxiation.

The main debate (IMO) that is yet to be determined is the delivery mechanism for the nitrogen asphyxiation, which will likely be some kind of tight sealing mask or "cake box" hood. I don't think chamber flooding (as in the old cyanide gas method of execution) will end up being the delivery mechanism.

All in all, I'm very much in favor of inert gas (nitrogen) asphyxiation as a humane method of execution. It's cheap, easily accessible, fast, humane/ compassionate, requires no special "medical" knowledge or equipment or drugs, creates no air hunger or physiologic distress, and produces a sense of euphoria in the condemned. (We know this from the pig studies, as well as the incredibly unfortunate and tragic NASA deaths of technicians in compartments flooded with nitrogen.)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ns-bill-allowing-nitrogen-inert-gas-execution

Edited: I just discovered the youtube links in the old thread to the BBC documentary no longer work.

The BBC documentary can be viewed here:

http://wn.com/how_to_kill_a_human_being_~bbc_horizon_documentary_full_episode_

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/broadband/tx/executions/

I don't think OK will have all of the details resolved in time for Richard Glossip's execution, but I do think they should step up their planning and implementation significantly, since the legislature has already approved inert gas asphyxiation as an alternate method of execution in OK. I think we're still years away from implementation, as the first proposed use will be batted around in court for probably several years on appeals.

One more edit:

Holy cow-- check out the OK legislature voting results on the bill allowing nitrogen inert gas execution:

The bill authored by Republican Rep. Mike Christian and Republican Sen. Anthony Sykes passed the House on an 85-10 vote and cleared the Senate on a 41-0 vote.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/oklahoma-governor-signs-bill-allowing-nitrogen-executions

BBM. Wow. That's as close to unanimous as any bill I've ever followed. There is clearly a LOT of support for nitrogen execution in OK. Governor Fallin promptly signed the bill into law back in April.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SweetDreamsAreMadeOfCheez
Back