CANADA Canada - Mary Ann Plett, 29, Edmonton AB, Sept 15 1971

dotr

Reaction score
caption-10203642.jpg

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/sept-15-1971-real-estate-agents-murder-remains-a-mystery
"EDMONTON – Edmonton real estate agent Mary Ann Plett headed out with a prospective buyer 43 years ago to look at an acreage southeast of the city.

The client, James Cooper, was a large man in his 40s with a low, rough voice. He told Plett he worked for a Winnipeg pumping company and was interested in buying property in the Looma area, 30 kilometres outside Edmonton.

The 29-year-old mother of two never returned home. Police were notified and a search was launched, which at the time was the largest in Alberta history.

The acreage was combed metre by metre. A large slough on the property was drained, and every part of its mucky bottom explored.

The mystery and suspense surrounding Plett’s disappearance mounted with every passing day. James Cooper was never found, although several people with similar names were interviewed.

Two days after her disappearance, Plett’s car was located, locked and abandoned on a southside used-car lot. Inside the vehicle, two small human blood stains were found as well as a crumpled, mussed up wig, similar to one owned by Plett."

Lengthy article,
"Son would try to honour father's wishes and forgive mom's unknown killer, 41 years later"

By Pamela Roth, Edmonton Sun
December 04, 2012

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/12/...nd-forgive-moms-unknown-killer-41-years-later

"When her vehicle was found shortly after her disappearance, the contents of the glove compartment were missing, along with MaryAnn's purse and notebook. Blood matching her type was found on the rug in the trunk and along the latch. A wig she wore was also discovered inside the trunk. Police lifted a fingerprint from the driver's door, but it was unsuitable for comparison using the techniques of the day.

The only other thing the kidnapper left behind was a pack of DuMaurier cigarettes and a pair of slip-on sunglasses.

At this point, Gower had little hope MaryAnn was still alive.

"With the wig and some clothing and the blood and the trunk, it was quite obvious she was dead," he said, noting there was nothing to connect the car to her remains. "There was nothing that belonged to this guy you could get DNA material off for a sample. He was very very careful."

Not long after MaryAnn's disappearance, another female real estate agent received a call from a man with a deep gravelly voice who identified himself as Dave Cooper. He also claimed to be from the east and wanted to arrange to see an acreage property out of town, but the realtor was too busy to schedule the viewing.

Working with the RCMP, Gower spent months following up on leads, but the killer has yet to be found. Given the remote location the remains were found, he believes the killer was familiar with Edmonton and the surrounding area, and was involved in the oil industry."

They need to release the photos taken back then during the investigation. Photos of where she worked, the property she was going to go show, her vehicle and where it was found etc. There are no visual aids to help us.

Where do we start with Mary Ann; what a beautiful and intelligent woman with a business drive and family home that any SK would despise. When we see SK cases it's most often associated with hitchhikers or streetwalkers or Aboriginal women; all who are seemingly vulnerable to the deceit and trickery that a SK will endorse upon them. Rarely, do we see a case such as Mary Ann's that has been linked whereby speculation by the media and RCMP as being a victim of a SK responsible for the deaths of 7 hitchhikers. Or do we? We can reference the Delores Whitman case and the Kelly Cook case (15 yrs old from Standard Alberta on April 22, 1981) and see the same baseline m/o as being used with structural changes to the story that was presented to fit the potential victim by way of luring.

The problem comes with the timeline whereby age accountability is concerned. Even though Mary Ann's and Kelly's cases compare with the same m/o as in attachment to the level of audacity incorporated, the timeline does not compare to the accuracy of the age of James Cooper and Bill Christensen; however, there is an underlying feeling that these two cases are connected, imo.

Mary Ann's case in 1971 James Cooper is described as being a large man in his mid 40's, who "was always late and yet here was a guy who said he was in a big hurry." He didn't just tell a story, he told a wound up story to top all stories. At 11:00 pm on the day she disappeared her husband saw her car drive slowly by her office with a male driver. Mary Ann was also one of the first female realtors in Edmonton.

Kelly Cook's case in 1981 Bill Christensen is described as being medium to heavy build from 30 - 45 years old. He called a friend of Kelly's to babysit and she was busy so she passed the babysitting job to Kelly. There was also talk that a male had tried calling the school to get information on Kelly's friend as to where she lived and that this friend had appeared in a figure skating article. Bill Christensen drove right to Kelly's house to pick her up on the same day that he called her to babysit.

These m/o's and even the descriptions fit, it's just the age timeline that doesn't fit and if we are to take James Cooper as being in his mid 40's then he would be approx. 89. If we are to take Bill Christensen as being in his 30's then he would be in around 65. There is 24 years difference and yet there are so many similarities by way of m/o and audacity. Could we be looking at a father and son?

It's just some thoughts but I wonder how many other cases from this timeline are there in the region (even stretching into B.C. and Sask.) with similarities and age references of the perpetrator. These cases appear to be distinct in the stalking methods used whereby the attainment of the prey is equated. Maybe this method isn't used so much anymore because everyone's in such a rush and maybe that opens up more opportunities to quicker pick ups without the inconvenience of timely stalking. Then again, as the saying goes it's hard to break old habits and I have a feeling that if Kelly Cook's murderer is still on the open road he will still be using this method by which he initially learned and somehow he is linked back to Mary Ann Plett. MOO

With a little bit of history and a little bit of insight there may be a way to track Mary Ann's killer by using familiarity components and there is a chance that he is still around. First of all dotr, I would like to reference back to your insight as to the "Dolores" and "Leduc" theory because it seems you have opened up a whole new awareness of possibilities by way of metaphorically linking names as associated with victims and places and this is important in the route I am going. I'm going to cover many years and much distance in a hop, skip and a jump and the only aspect that we may need to put in question is the accuracy of age as to Mary Ann's killer or keep the father/son theory in place as having common knowledge.

Let's begin with Mary Ann (1971) whereby association of m/o is concerned to Kelly Cook (1981) and the strength that we can gather from that and from here we end up at the Chin Lake Reservoir. Now, why on Earth would he drive her all the way down there with so many other options available. Why did Kelly have to end up there of all places? The chin is a feature of the human face that has the ability to define beauty in a woman. In so far as anatomy how many places are there in Alberta that refer to the face? It may have been worth his trip. Now, let's drive over to the Oldman River Reservoir where Victoria Crow Shoe was recently found on Sept. 13. She went missing from Lethbridge and ended up at the Oldman River Reservoir shortly before all hell broke loose in Blairmore. We're 2015 and 34 years since Kelly with her beautiful youthful face was found at Chin Lake... and maybe he's an old man now. Did anyone really look at Kelly and see what a beautiful chin she had? Maybe it was the one facial feature of hers that struck him with the most impact. Does it even seem likely that he may even have a son who calls him the "old man" now? Do I sense some rivalry?

How much damage can one SK do over 44 years? If we can follow a SK through time and distance based on m/o's and name associations then do we really know how extensive his travels would be and the types of contacts he has made that he has kept in mind for future reference over many years? Imo, there is one thing that we must always keep in mind and that is the abstract of a SK's own creativity; regardless of how irreconcilable it may be to the mind with a conscience.

Is there a chance that the same man who is either responsible for or had knowledge of Mary Ann's murder is responsible for Victoria Crow Shoe's murder? It's all theory and MOO.

Have you looked at the cold case of 25 yr old Mary Jimmie "Bobo" Shinn, who disappeared while showing property on July 20th, 1978, just outside of Magnolia, Arkansas?

There are many similarities in the disappearances of these two women.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?143685-AR-Mary-Jimmie-Shinn-25-Magnolia-20-July-1978

http://s10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/ar/t4719.htm

Very interesting connection! Noting physical description of M. Shinn as raven haired and deeply suntanned, imo.
Not to mention the coincidence regarding names/faces, as noted in Clouddippingdown's post^ ie. Shinn, (chin, shin)
As per Graham Clayton's link in this post.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Magnolia-20-July-1978&p=10739584#post10739584

http://www.examiner.com/article/people-partied-around-bonfire-as-a-woman-boiled

"In 1978 Magnolia-resident Mary Jimmie "Bobo" Shinn, 25, was a young, vibrant, college-educated, raven-haired and deeply tanned art instructor. She lived at Chateau Apartments in Magnolia and taught art classes at her own small studio on Magnolia Street."

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Magn...1fa00c4af6155d!2m2!1d-113.4909267!2d53.544389

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/12/...nd-forgive-moms-unknown-killer-41-years-later

"29-year-old Mary Ann Plett unsolved 1971 homicide. The trunk of MaryAnn Plett containing a wig a rug with traces of blood matching Plett. Mary Ann Plett an Edmonton real estate agent who went missing in the Looma (a hamlet within Leduc County) southeast of Edmonton, Alta. on Sept 15, 1971 after meeting with a prospective client named "James Cooper." Police were never able to locate a person by that name."

1297348757686_ORIGINAL.jpg

Interestingly, on November 24, 1971, 71 days after the disappearance of Mary Ann Plett on September 15, 1971, another person calling himself (Dan) Cooper, also in his 40's, jumped from a hijacked airplane over southwestern Washington State with $200,000 in cash. The description of James Cooper is a "large" man. Is there anything more specific in order to make a better comparison to D B Cooper's description?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper

(FBI) Agents theorize that he took his alias from a popular Belgian comic book series of the 1970's featuring the fictional hero Dan Cooper, a Royal Canadian Air Force test pilot who took part in numerous heroic adventures, including parachuting. (One cover from the series, reproduced on the FBI web site, depicts test pilot Cooper skydiving in full paratrooper regalia)

Because the Dan Cooper comics were never translated into English nor imported to the US, they speculate that he may have encountered them during a tour of duty in Europe. Tom Kaye's Cooper Research Team (see Ongoing investigation) has suggested the alternative possibility that Cooper was Canadian, and found the comics in Canada, where they were also sold.[97] They note his specific demand for "negotiable American currency",[17] a phrase seldom if ever used by American citizens; since witnesses stated that Cooper had no distinguishable accent, Canada would be his most likely country of origin if he were not a United States citizen.

Another point related to the date of the abduction and the name used by the probable killer of Platt, James Cooper, is that it's the birthday of James Fenimore Cooper, American author. (September 15, 1789 – September 14, 1851) I think wigs are also mentioned quite frequently in his books.

September 15 is the same day Platt disappeared.

So we have two instances of a suspect using the names of a famous person. The D. B. Cooper hijacking was committed on Thanksgiving, November 24, a US holiday in 1971.

Coincidental or intentional?

Another point related to the date of the abduction and the name used by the probable killer of Platt, James Cooper, is that it's the birthday of James Fenimore Cooper, American author. (September 15, 1789 – September 14, 1851) I think wigs are also mentioned quite frequently in his books.

snipped

By my way of thinking, that's it.... historical romances. And what this would mean is that the day of her death was predetermined. With that in mind there would be an indication that Mary Ann's killer pays attention to specific details and all that revolves around the abduction, death and placement has specific meaning to him.... maybe not with every victim, but certainly with maybe the occasional one and especially when he has something to communicate. It's maybe very frustrating for him that the RCMP aren't catching his communications. I think he was telling them that he can play the romantic card with charisma. Or something like that, I'll have to think about it some more.

I believe that he is communicating again and I also believe that he placed that communication with Victoria Crow Shoe's body... he's telling them he's an old man now.

I thought about the DB cooper. But that happened in November, and she was killed in September. And I don't believe DB cooper was famous for anything until November of that year, so unless they were the one and only than I dont know how the connection works?, But I am tired now also so I am not thinking straight ...He used the name James at first. But then I read some time later he/someone similar voice name called the same realtors office again and ask to see another property and used the name David or Don, Dan Cooper I don't remember which one now.

But I did spend about an hour looking at the GREENPEACE that was launched in Canada on September 15 1971 the same day she died for some kind of connection. I think it was held in Edmonton or somewhere near there. But gave up.

That would make sense why he would leave the wig in the trunk when the rest of her items were found scattered. The du Maurier cigarettes and slip on glasses were probably left on purpose too. I guess he thought he was a cool guy or maybe that's the impression that he wanted to leave.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Magn...1fa00c4af6155d!2m2!1d-113.4909267!2d53.544389

"29-year-old Mary Ann Plett unsolved 1971 homicide. The trunk of MaryAnn Plett containing a wig a rug with traces of blood matching Plett. Mary Ann Plett an Edmonton real estate agent who went missing in the Looma (a hamlet within Leduc County) southeast of Edmonton, Alta. on Sept 15, 1971 after meeting with a prospective client named "James Cooper." Police were never able to locate a person by that name."

attachment.php

WOW, all this time I thought she was killed inside a house on the property she went to show. Looking at this photo and re reading some links I just discovered it was only acreage...In my mind that changes everything. I will have to re read this thread this weekend and I will keep in mind it was just property she was going to show NOT a house on the property...Thanks for the photo Dotr.

FROM this link http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/12/...nd-forgive-moms-unknown-killer-41-years-later
According to police, Cooper pressed MaryAnn for last-minute appointments at odd hours. He would only deal directly with her by phone, and wouldn't provide a return number or leave a message when he contacted the Graham Realty office on Whyte Avenue.

He Had to keep changing his plans do to interruptions or obligations on that day/days before etc, trying to set it up. His time was limited, and was trying to fit in her killing with what he had going on in his life. That may explain the last minute appointments at odd hours.

The realtor sign on the property. Did it have her picture on it? Or just her name and number to reach her?

Cluddippingdown thank you for your comments. I will read those in detail over the weekend when time permits. Going to read your every word.

Where do we start with Mary Ann; what a beautiful and intelligent woman with a business drive and family home that any SK would despise. When we see SK cases it's most often associated with hitchhikers or streetwalkers or Aboriginal women; all who are seemingly vulnerable to the deceit and trickery that a SK will endorse upon them. Rarely, do we see a case such as Mary Ann's that has been linked whereby speculation by the media and RCMP as being a victim of a SK responsible for the deaths of 7 hitchhikers. Or do we? We can reference the Delores Whitman case and the Kelly Cook case (15 yrs old from Standard Alberta on April 22, 1981) and see the same baseline m/o as being used with structural changes to the story that was presented to fit the potential victim by way of luring.

The problem comes with the timeline whereby age accountability is concerned. Even though Mary Ann's and Kelly's cases compare with the same m/o as in attachment to the level of audacity incorporated, the timeline does not compare to the accuracy of the age of James Cooper and Bill Christensen; however, there is an underlying feeling that these two cases are connected, imo.

Mary Ann's case in 1971 James Cooper is described as being a large man in his mid 40's, who "was always late and yet here was a guy who said he was in a big hurry." He didn't just tell a story, he told a wound up story to top all stories. At 11:00 pm on the day she disappeared her husband saw her car drive slowly by her office with a male driver. Mary Ann was also one of the first female realtors in Edmonton.

Kelly Cook's case in 1981 Bill Christensen is described as being medium to heavy build from 30 - 45 years old. He called a friend of Kelly's to babysit and she was busy so she passed the babysitting job to Kelly. There was also talk that a male had tried calling the school to get information on Kelly's friend as to where she lived and that this friend had appeared in a figure skating article. Bill Christensen drove right to Kelly's house to pick her up on the same day that he called her to babysit.

These m/o's and even the descriptions fit, it's just the age timeline that doesn't fit and if we are to take James Cooper as being in his mid 40's then he would be approx. 89. If we are to take Bill Christensen as being in his 30's then he would be in around 65. There is 24 years difference and yet there are so many similarities by way of m/o and audacity. Could we be looking at a father and son?

It's just some thoughts but I wonder how many other cases from this timeline are there in the region (even stretching into B.C. and Sask.) with similarities and age references of the perpetrator. These cases appear to be distinct in the stalking methods used whereby the attainment of the prey is equated. Maybe this method isn't used so much anymore because everyone's in such a rush and maybe that opens up more opportunities to quicker pick ups without the inconvenience of timely stalking. Then again, as the saying goes it's hard to break old habits and I have a feeling that if Kelly Cook's murderer is still on the open road he will still be using this method by which he initially learned and somehow he is linked back to Mary Ann Plett. MOO

rbbm.

Started quick thread for Kelly Cook, interesting that it is believed that perp must have planned the crime for some time.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...s-found-April-22-1981&p=12103188#post12103188

"Standard, Alberta, Kelly Jane Evelyn COOK,15 , remains found, April 22, 1981"

Noting weather data on day of Mary Ann's disappearance - 15 Sep 1971. She was last known to have picked up a 'prospective client' at a shopping center parking lot in Edmonton at 11:00 am to view a property southeast of Edmonton known as Looma, which is part of the now infamous Leduc area, where decades later the remains of many missing Edmonton women have been recovered.

Mary Ann's remains were recovered 19 April 1972 about 160 kms northeast in Fort Assiniboine.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climat...959-05-01|2012-04-11&Year=1971&Month=9&Day=01

High for that day in Edmonton was 8.9 C. Overnight low dipped to 1.7 C. There was some rain and wind is reported at 64 km/hour. Fort Assiniboine had similar conditions - no wind speed record.

Mary Ann's husband is reported to have seen her car drive by her office at 11:00 pm that evening - 12 hours later. The vehicle was located nearby 2 days later. So the person had to have made that round trip of 160 kms each way within that 12 hour period.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/sept-15-1971-real-estate-agents-murder-remains-a-mystery

Have always found it notable that some person/people do not mind committing such crimes in less than ideal weather conditions where long distances are involved. Note Kelly Cook and Annette Leger (limited AL info within KC thread).

Noting weather data on day of Mary Ann's disappearance - 15 Sep 1971. She was last known to have picked up a 'prospective client' at a shopping center parking lot in Edmonton at 11:00 am to view a property southeast of Edmonton known as Looma, which is part of the now infamous Leduc area, where decades later the remains of many missing Edmonton women have been recovered.

Mary Ann's remains were recovered 19 April 1972 about 160 kms northeast in Fort Assiniboine.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climat...959-05-01|2012-04-11&Year=1971&Month=9&Day=01

High for that day in Edmonton was 8.9 C. Overnight low dipped to 1.7 C. There was some rain and wind is reported at 64 km/hour. Fort Assiniboine had similar conditions - no wind speed record.

Mary Ann's husband is reported to have seen her car drive by her office at 11:00 pm that evening - 12 hours later. The vehicle was located nearby 2 days later. So the person had to have made that round trip of 160 kms each way within that 12 hour period.

Have always found it notable that some person/people do not mind committing such crimes in less than ideal weather conditions where long distances are involved. Note Kelly Cook and Annette Leger (limited AL info within KC thread).

rbbm.
Could that suggest that perp drives an all weather type vehicle, or thinks LE will be distracted by weather-related accidents, or could perp work in a job like towing, ect. where one would be expected to be out in poor weather?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/alberta-rcmp-offer-100-000-reward-for-serial-killer-1.557283

The linked profile is who the RCMP are looking for regarding some of the missing/murdered Edmonton women -

A profile prepared by the RCMP's Behavioural Sciences Branch suggests the killer:

Drives a reliable, high-mileage truck, van or sport utility vehicle, and is comfortable driving in rural areas.
Likes to hunt, fish, camp or participate in other outdoor activities.
Has a past or present connection to the area south of Edmonton, including Leduc, Camrose and New Sarepta.
May clean his vehicle at odd times of the day.

As suggested by SB in the thread for '83 missing/murdered women alberta ...', there was a time that farming was part of this profile but the farming aspect has since been deleted. Farmers need to get the job done regardless, so agree it should have remained as part of the profile - since imo, bad weather seems to be part and parcel of some of these missing and murdered women. Maybe strategy had something to do with deleting it, but imo the profile was right the first time.

Something else, more recent to keep in mind is that September 15 is also the day that Terry and Hailey Blanchette died. Historical romances... James Cooper most popular "The last of the Mohicans"... The wig represents the scalp... A theory; this would have been the book that he based timing and left behind items on and his enactment on the First Nations using a white woman, Mary Ann, as reference. Fast play to the most recent present... Victoria Crow shoe is found a stones throw from the Crows nest pass at the Oldman River Reservoir on the 13th of September. Was she the prelude to the September 15th tragedy of Terry and Hailey? September 15th.... in other words, is he saying this? I am an old man now look at me, I've killed white women, First Nations women, old women, men and children as in the possibility of DS having an accomplice; rather an accomplice who was gunning the show. JMO, but there are some interesting connections.

There is some speculation that there is a SK who preys on mostly First Nations women as in the Highway of Tears and the Leduc murders, perhaps we have a SK who wanted to set the record straight in how he has been stereotyped.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back