1151 users online (282 members and 869 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Angry Possible US-led Airstrike Hits Doctors Without Borders Hospital

I don't like political discussions, but this makes me both angry and sad:

[snipped]
    An air strike, probably carried out by U.S.-led coalition forces, killed 19 staff and patients, including three children on Saturday, in a hospital run by Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) in the northern city of Kunduz, the aid group said.

The U.S. military said it conducted an air strike "in the vicinity" of the hospital as it targeted Taliban insurgents who were directly firing on U.S. military personnel and an investigation into the incident had begun.

U.N. Human Rights chief Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein led a chorus of condemnation, without saying who carried out the strike, noting that an assault on a hospital could amount to a war crime.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0RW0HC20151003
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

19 dead in apparent U.S. airstrike on Afghan Doctors Without Borders hospital

The U.S. military acknowledged it may have bombed the hospital, saying Saturday in a statement that it was targeting Taliban insurgents who were directly firing on U.S. troops.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/afghani...rike-1.3255546

Airstrike May Have Caused "Collateral Damage" to Medical Facility, Statement Claims

Oh, this is terrible

[snipped]

“The bombs hit, and then we heard the plane circle round,” said Heman Nagarathnam, who is the charity’s head of programs in northern Afghanistan. “There was a pause, and then more bombs hit. This happened again and again. When I made it out from the office, the main hospital building was engulfed in flames.”

Those who could, Nagarathnam said, hid in the hospital’s bunker. Medical staff and critically ill patients, however, were left exposed to the ensuing fire.

A nurse working at the hospital, Lajos Zoltan Jecs, said that when she and other staff members emerged from a safe room after the attack, they looked into the intensive care unit, which was on fire.

“Six patients were burning in their beds,” she said in a statement issued by Doctors Without Borders. “There are no words for how terrible it was,” she said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...876_story.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw a post on FB while ago saying there are now 20 dead. I don't remember the news source, but all of the articles I now see are still saying 19. Some victims are still in critical condition so that figure could go up. What a horrific way to die.
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Omg!
    Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

“It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”

The missing and murdered cannot cry out for Justice. It is the duty for the living to do so for them.

I stand with Standing Rock!

Terrible .. so the hospital gave their co-ordinates and they still got bombed. I hope our government finally pulls out of this conflict, we have no business being involved in a dispute that has nothing to do with us.
    Neither the state nor the defense team are saints, and there is usually plenty of incompetence to go around on both sides of the courtroom.

thepinkdragon is offline Verified US Army Veteran/Certified Veteran's Mental Health & PTSD Advocate

Possible US-led Airstrike Hits Doctors Without Borders Hospital

Edited for clarity: For those who see this as a "we have no business being there"; You are missing the part of coalition forces. It was led by a U.S. Team, but it wasn't just U.S. Forces. Coalition forces are NATO forces whose mission is to increase security and assist local forces to secure their region. Unfortunately because the hospital was in the vicinity of the air strike it suffered collateral damage. It wasn't a deliberate/direct bombing of the hospital. MOO: If you choose to work in a war zone you are choosing the risk of being killed.
    Last edited by thepinkdragon; 10-04-2015 at 02:01 AM. Reason: clarity

I included in my first 2 posts that the airstrike was by US-led coalition forces, and that this was considered collateral damage but, IMO, that doesn't make the deaths and injuries of innocent civilians and medical staff any less terrible and it is being investigated as a criminal act.

------------------------------------------------------------

[snipped]

President Barack Obama says he expects a full accounting of the circumstances surrounding the deadly bombing of a hospital in Afghanistan that killed 19.

[....]

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon "strongly" condemned the airstrikes in Kunduz and said hospitals and medical personnel are "explicitly protected" under international humanitarian law, his spokesman's office said in a statement Saturday.

[....]

"International and Afghan military planners have an obligation to respect and protect civilians at all times, and medical facilities and personnel are the object of a special protection," [U.N. Human Rights chief] Zeid's statement says. "These obligations apply no matter whose air force is involved, and irrespective of the location."

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015...he-latest.html
    - Henry David Thoreau

thepinkdragon is offline Verified US Army Veteran/Certified Veteran's Mental Health & PTSD Advocate

Possible US-led Airstrike Hits Doctors Without Borders Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Anna View Post
    I included in my first 2 posts that the airstrike was by US-led coalition forces, and that this was considered collateral damage but, IMO, that doesn't make the deaths and injuries of innocent civilians and medical staff any less terrible and it is being investigated as a criminal act.

------------------------------------------------------------

[snipped]

President Barack Obama says he expects a full accounting of the circumstances surrounding the deadly bombing of a hospital in Afghanistan that killed 19.

[....]

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon "strongly" condemned the airstrikes in Kunduz and said hospitals and medical personnel are "explicitly protected" under international humanitarian law, his spokesman's office said in a statement Saturday.

[....]

"International and Afghan military planners have an obligation to respect and protect civilians at all times, and medical facilities and personnel are the object of a special protection," [U.N. Human Rights chief] Zeid's statement says. "These obligations apply no matter whose air force is involved, and irrespective of the location."

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015...he-latest.html
    Sorry, I wasn't directing the word "you" to any particular person, I meant in general. My mistake. It absolutely is horrible and must be investigated. My reason for stating what I did was the reaction of others as if this was deliberate and we as a country need to get out of Afghanistan. It isn't that simple. I get frustrated when terrible things like this happen and people in general are quick to blame the coalition forces as monsters. Again, everyone there who isn't an Afghani native that chooses to be there knows the risk they take by living and working there. Who is to say Taliban forces didn't do this on purpose to make coalition forces look criminal? They just conveniently happen to fire on troops in the vicinity of the hospital knowing return fire would come. Who are the criminals here? President Obama declared the U.S. Mission in Iraq and Afghanistan is over; yet we have thousands of troops in both countries on coalition task forces. As a veteran and current Army spouse these things always hit home hard. I apologize for offending you, it was not my intention.

ETA: As far as war crimes go; what about the Taliban? Since they aren't a part of NATO, I guess they get a free pass? Rules of engagement and SOFA only apply to forces who adhere to the standard and are held accountable.
    Last edited by thepinkdragon; 10-04-2015 at 02:06 AM. Reason: extra information

This is sickening news in a week when I didn't think the news could get any worse.

The Whitney Heichel Memorial Garden
    Bringing "beauty and light into a place where
    there once was so much darkness"
    (Sasquatch, Websleuths member).

"In joy or sadness flowers are our constant friends.”
    ― Kakuzō Okakura, The Book Of Tea

It may have? Is this wording meant to make us unsure it was the US? If another country was suspected of doing this I bet there would be no maybe involved!!!

MOO!!

Quote Originally Posted by MissUnderstood View Post
    It may have? Is this wording meant to make us unsure it was the US? If another country was suspected of doing this I bet there would be no maybe involved!!!

MOO!!
    I suspect it was a mixture of U.S. Led NATO coalition forces AND Taliban insurgents who are responsible. Yet only NATO forces are accountable for war crimes unless the insurgents are captured and tried.

Quote Originally Posted by thepinkdragon View Post
    I suspect it was a mixture of U.S. Led NATO coalition forces AND Taliban insurgents who are responsible.
    Oh, do the Taliban insurgents have an air force now?

Quote Originally Posted by Montjoy View Post
    No but "bombs" could be dropped from planes at the same time insurgents use RPG's and other explosives. According to the accounts of hospital staff they were hit by "bombs" on and off over a period of 45 minutes. Unless they stood outside and watched each "bomb" come from a plane I find it hard to ascertain that only air strike incendiaries were responsible. MOO

Quote Originally Posted by Montjoy View Post
    Good point.
    Neither the state nor the defense team are saints, and there is usually plenty of incompetence to go around on both sides of the courtroom.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast