1128 users online (216 members and 912 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    [snipped]

Search and rescue teams on Sunday located debris which appeared to belong to the cargo ship El Faro that went missing in the eye of Hurricane Joaquin with 33 mostly American crew members aboard, the U.S. Coast Guard and the ship's owner said.

Life jackets, containers and an oil sheen were spotted by U.S. Coast Guard aircrews flying over the Bahamas on the third day of their search for the container ship.

The owners of the El Faro, Tote Maritime, also said two vessels it sent to the scene had found a container "which appears to be from the El Faro."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0RV3NW20151004
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Tulessa View Post
    They didn't expect it to turn into a hurricane, and even the weathermen were shocked at how fast this storm changed.
    As far as I recall it was expected to turn into a hurricane. Maybe not Cat 5, but it was expected to intensify.
    Just my opinion

Sounds just like The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Thanks for posting this song. It fits perfectly.
    I haven't heard it in a very long time.

Another article posted on MSN -

Thirty-three crew members are on board, many of them local to the Jacksonville area, according to executives for TOTE Maritime, the ship's owner. Of the crew, 28 are U.S. citizens and 5 are Polish nationals.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/...quin/73203942/

Quote Originally Posted by watcher9 View Post
    Thanks for posting this song. It fits perfectly.
    I haven't heard it in a very long time.
    I just can't get over how similar this incident with the El Faro is to the Edmund Fitzgerald. When I started to read this thread, my first thought was dejavu of the Edmund Fitzgerald wreck.

Both ships were sailing into storms. Both ships radioed that they were taking on watering and were listing. Both Captains reported that they had the situation under control, and then they were never heard from again.

I would guess that just like the Edmund Fitzgerald, the El Faro broke up so quickly, that the crew didn't have time to abandon ship, or even radio for help.

My daughter's best friend's dad is/was on that ship. Her (the friend) FB posts are heartbreaking

Coast Guard: Body of crew member from sunken El Faro found

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/mas...earch/35655704

Massive debris field found in El Faro search

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/sea...inues/35648420

Those large cargo ships always look like they try to stack too many containers on those things.

Every time I see one of those ships it looks like it is ready to topple over or sink. It amazes me they float at all even in calm weather.

Maybe its time for some regulations that would have stricter weight limits and less height of the containers.

I do think the captain made a serious error getting anywhere near that storm. I think what happens is on previous trips the captains have probably rode out some tough storms and they think they can handle the next one. Getting too confident about what the ship can handle.

I hope they find some life rafts with people on them. I recently saw the movie about the Olympian that survived 47 days at sea before being captured. They survived in rubber life rafts. Hopefully at least some of the crew is still alive out there. I hope searchers don't give up until they try for some more days looking for survivors.

Prayers for all affected by this tragedy.

It appears 1 body of a crewman has been found already.

http://news.sky.com/story/1563966/bo...hit-ship-found

Quote Originally Posted by Hatfield View Post
    It appears 1 body of a crewman has been found already.

http://news.sky.com/story/1563966/bo...hit-ship-found
    Seems very unlikely anybody survived. Human being vs cat 4-5 hurricane? Even if they got from the ship in a life boat, life boat is no match for the hurricane.
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Seems very unlikely anybody survived. Human being vs cat 4-5 hurricane? Even if they got from the ship in a life boat, life boat is no match for the hurricane.
    The odds are slim but I am going to keep my hopes and prayers for them.

At least searchers are finding body survival suits and life saving equipment. So there is a chance even if odds are low. Those body suits are meant to keep someone afloat even if they are in the water without a life raft. The rafts usually have ropes and some of them may have tied themselves to the raft. I realize odds are not good but the searchers will keep looking and maybe a miracle will happen.

Im glad searchers have found the right location.
    Half the battle was finding the general location. Now they know the general vicinity. Although many miles now have to be searched and most of us know it is still a daunting task to spot something in the water.

Hoping for a miracle here that maybe some of them made it.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/coast-g...-faro/35656756

"Searchers found unidentifiable human remains in one survival suit and the Coast Guard has switched its focus from looking for the ship to searching for any signs of life.

Family members were told in a conference call at 9 a.m. An hour later, a Coast Guard spokesman said the focus of the search has shifted to any possible survivors."

Hatfield, I'm so praying for a miracle too. My sister called and told me a relative of one of her employees was also on board.
    My opinion only, unless referenced or supported by a link. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by LietKynes View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-Joaquin.html
    Empty life rings spotted in the Bermuda Triangle where cargo ship carrying 33 people is missing as angry families hit out at captain's decision to sail straight into Hurricane Joaquin

My .02 is that this captain was experienced and had most likely weathered storms before.. and maybe this one quickly turned out to be more severe ?
    One can hardly blame the families, they must be worried sick to the point where normal life ceases -- i.e., cannot sleep, eat, etc.
    No one can fault the families or the crew for that matter. People are just trying to hold onto jobs. Everyone has responsibilities. I am just upset that they were allowed out by the powers that be (land-bound administrators). It's possible that things turned too quickly and I know I'm Monday morning quarterbacking. I'm just so sad that we may have lost more innocents. Way too many lately, but even one is too many.

Quote Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
    Sounds just like The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Beautiful, KB! Always loved Gordon Lightfoot.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast