1446 users online (290 members and 1156 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ontario Mom View Post
    My daughter's best friend's dad is/was on that ship. Her (the friend) FB posts are heartbreaking
    I am so sorry OM. I am continuing to pray.
    My opinion only, unless referenced or supported by a link. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hatfield View Post
    Those large cargo ships always look like they try to stack too many containers on those things.

Every time I see one of those ships it looks like it is ready to topple over or sink. It amazes me they float at all even in calm weather.

Maybe its time for some regulations that would have stricter weight limits and less height of the containers.

I do think the captain made a serious error getting anywhere near that storm. I think what happens is on previous trips the captains have probably rode out some tough storms and they think they can handle the next one. Getting too confident about what the ship can handle.

I hope they find some life rafts with people on them. I recently saw the movie about the Olympian that survived 47 days at sea before being captured. They survived in rubber life rafts. Hopefully at least some of the crew is still alive out there. I hope searchers don't give up until they try for some more days looking for survivors.

Prayers for all affected by this tragedy.
    What amazed me on a documentary I once viewed, was how many containers fall from these ships and are sitting in the ocean. I'll see if I can find a link.

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/01/135040...rs-on-seafloor

""As a matter or course of business, about 10,000 of these containers fall off of a ship every year," he says. That's a rough estimate — no one knows exactly what the number is, but it's clearly in the thousands every year. And they're clustered along shipping lanes that crisscross the oceans." (snipped)
    Last edited by Ray_of_hope; 10-05-2015 at 01:55 PM. Reason: added a link
    My opinion only, unless referenced or supported by a link. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    As far as I recall it was expected to turn into a hurricane. Maybe not Cat 5, but it was expected to intensify.
    It intensified very, very quickly. From a Cat 1 to Cat 3 in six hours (source: http://www.wunderground.com/blog/Jef...=2015&month=10 ) That is super fast. And while weather services have become better and better at predicting the paths of hurricanes, predicting intensity with any accuracy is still very hard to do. As an example, there is a typhoon that hit China this weekend that went from Cat 1 to Cat 4 in less than 12 hours. Remember that these storms are often huge and can be very hard for a ship to get out of the way of.

Those large cargo ships always look like they try to stack too many containers on those things.

Every time I see one of those ships it looks like it is ready to topple over or sink. It amazes me they float at all even in calm weather.

Maybe its time for some regulations that would have stricter weight limits and less height of the containers.
    My understanding is that the cargo weighs the ship down into the water making it more stable. A fully loaded cargo ship is supposed to be more stable then an empty ship in a storm. So I doubt that over loading would have been a factor in this ship wreck.

It appears 1 body of a crewman has been found already.

http://news.sky.com/story/1563966/bo...hit-ship-found
    I can't believe they didn't recover the body. Since they were already in the water to check it, and if for no other reason then to get it out of the water. So they don't keep finding the same body over again. Thats the only thing about their search operation that doesn't make sense to me.

The odds are slim but I am going to keep my hopes and prayers for them.

At least searchers are finding body survival suits and life saving equipment. So there is a chance even if odds are low. Those body suits are meant to keep someone afloat even if they are in the water without a life raft. The rafts usually have ropes and some of them may have tied themselves to the raft. I realize odds are not good but the searchers will keep looking and maybe a miracle will happen.
    Unfortunately it seems that most of the survival suits were empty, and the life boats were also empty and badly damaged. So that's not really good news. If there are still any survivors they would be in the water without a survival suit. I'm not sure if anyone can survive in those conditions for that long.

unless there is news i have not seen - there should still be one lifeboat unaccounted for and i have not heard anyone say that they found all of the survival suits.

that said, it is still highly unlikely that anyone survived for long after the ship went down in those seas.

Quote Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
    I can't believe they didn't recover the body. Since they were already in the water to check it, and if for no other reason then to get it out of the water. So they don't keep finding the same body over again. Thats the only thing about their search operation that doesn't make sense to me.
    they may have attached a buoy/locator to it, but if you listen to the press conference they are looking for survivors. recovering a body is time consuming and has a heightened risk, they would not prioritize that over continuing to search for survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by drjones View Post
    they may have attached a buoy/locator to it, but if you listen to the press conference they are looking for survivors. recovering a body is time consuming and has a heightened risk, they would not prioritize that over continuing to search for survivors.
    I totally understand the need to search for (and, hopefully, find) survivors. But, if my loved one was on the boat and they left a body that might be him/her I would be inconsolable and angry.

Quote Originally Posted by drjones View Post
    I know looks can be deceiving but that life boat looks like it is big.
    I hope the other one has survivors in it and they find it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by watcher9 View Post
    I know looks can be deceiving but that life boat looks like it is big.
    I hope the other one has survivors in it and they find it soon.
    It's awfully small when it's in the ocean during a hurricane.
    JMO. MOO.

So sad ! Sympathies and prayers going out to the families.

From drjones link -- very disheartening to see the battered life boat.

Does anyone know what the El Faro was hauling ? I was curious if it was anything explosive, since it looked like that life boat was blown apart.
    Maybe high winds could do just as much damage, though.
    Just thinking out loud.

it is likely the waves did the damage, although you cant rule out that it might have also happened when the boat sank if you had shipping containers being tossed around.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast