Rep. William Jefferson, D-La

tybee204

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Amid Katrina Chaos, Congressman Used National Guard to Visit Home

http://abcnews.go.com/US/HurricaneKatrina/story?id=1123495&page=1
Two Heavy Trucks, Helicopter Were Involved in Lawmaker's Trip at Height of Crisis

Sept. 13, 3005 — Amid the chaos and confusion that engulfed New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina struck, a congressman used National Guard troops to check on his property and rescue his personal belongings — even while New Orleans residents were trying to get rescued from rooftops, ABC News has learned.

On Sept. 2 — five days after Katrina hit the Gulf Coast — Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., who represents New Orleans and is a senior member of the powerful Ways and Means Committee, was allowed through the military blockades set up around the city to reach the Superdome, where thousands of evacuees had been taken.
Military sources tells ABC News that Jefferson, an eight-term Democratic congressman, asked the National Guard that night to take him on a tour of the flooded portions of his congressional district. A 5-ton military truck and a half dozen military police were dispatched.

-------------------
Finally, according to the source, Jefferson emerged with a laptop computer, three suitcases, and a box about the size of a small refrigerator, which the enlisted men loaded up into the truck.

More at link....

More on William J. Jefferson (D-La.),

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/12/AR2005081201678.html

FBI Sting Targeted Louisiana Lawmaker

By Allan Lengel
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, August 13, 2005; Page A01

Rep. William J. Jefferson (D-La.), a veteran member of the Ways and Means Committee whose homes in Washington and New Orleans were raided by the FBI last week, had been the target of an undercover FBI sting involving public corruption for nearly a year, according to law enforcement sources.

Investigators are looking into whether Jefferson illegally pocketed hundreds of thousands of dollars of an investor's money from business transactions during the sting, according to the sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the case.

more at link

tybee204 said:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/12/AR2005081201678.html

By Allan Lengel

Rep. William J. Jefferson (D-La.), a veteran member of the Ways and Means Committee whose homes in Washington and New Orleans were raided by the FBI last week, had been the target of an undercover FBI sting involving public corruption for nearly a year, according to law enforcement sources.

Investigators are looking into whether Jefferson illegally pocketed hundreds of thousands of dollars of an investor's money from business transactions during the sting, according to the sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the case.

more at link
Thanks for posting this tybee; it's always good to see the underbelly of politics exposed. It's just one of many things that go on in the political process, especially in states like Louisiana (at least it seems that way). Book is kept on every high-ranking politician, and when it is their time to go, they begin dragging the skeletons out of the closet (as if by magic, but it is all carefully thought out, and calculated). Just a word dropped to the right person, in the right place, and the ball starts rolling.

tybee204 said:

By Allan Lengel

more at link
Well,..............I think that that is some sick $hit. If his purpose for the tour was genuine and he really wanted to know what was going on, he would have included the Superdome and Convention Center, ya think? :loser::furious:

Well, now I know why I haven't had a response to two requests I made to the Coast Guard to search for my cousin's house to see if she had evacuated, was trapped or even (God forbid) dead.

I guess he's so much more important than my cousin is. Oh, well, our tax dollars at work again.

tybee204 said:
Amid Katrina Chaos, Congressman Used National Guard to Visit Home

http://abcnews.go.com/US/HurricaneKatrina/story?id=1123495&page=1
Two Heavy Trucks, Helicopter Were Involved in Lawmaker's Trip at Height of Crisis

Sept. 13, 3005 — Amid the chaos and confusion that engulfed New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina struck, a congressman used National Guard troops to check on his property and rescue his personal belongings — even while New Orleans residents were trying to get rescued from rooftops, ABC News has learned.

On Sept. 2 — five days after Katrina hit the Gulf Coast — Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., who represents New Orleans and is a senior member of the powerful Ways and Means Committee, was allowed through the military blockades set up around the city to reach the Superdome, where thousands of evacuees had been taken.
Military sources tells ABC News that Jefferson, an eight-term Democratic congressman, asked the National Guard that night to take him on a tour of the flooded portions of his congressional district. A 5-ton military truck and a half dozen military police were dispatched.

-------------------
Finally, according to the source, Jefferson emerged with a laptop computer, three suitcases, and a box about the size of a small refrigerator, which the enlisted men loaded up into the truck.

More at link....
If it's the same William Jefferson I'm thinking of, he also ran for mayor a couple of times.

[/QUOTE] Yep, just saw a pic of him on CNN. Same .

Didn't he run for Governor? I think he did, against Mike Foster...but I don't recall clearly.

He's a lowlife...stepping on the backs of others to better himself.

Toby said:
Didn't he run for Governor? I think he did, against Mike Foster...but I don't recall clearly.

He's a lowlife...stepping on the backs of others to better himself.
Yep--just saw him on TV. Same SOB.

BillyGoatGruff said:
Yep--just saw him on TV. Same SOB.
It kind of makes you wonder. How did this SOB climb up through the ranks, undoubtedly on the take all of the way, without someone calling attention to all of the stuff he's had going on?? It isn't as if any of this illegal stuff just all of a sudden started manifesting itself. A lot of favors have been bought and sold along the way.

Buzzm1 said:
It kind of makes you wonder. How did this SOB climb up through the ranks, undoubtedly on the take all of the way, without someone calling attention to all of the stuff he's had going on?? It isn't as if any of this illegal stuff just all of a sudden started manifesting itself. A lot of favors have been bought and sold along the way.

Good ole boy network, Buzz, truly that's it. Strong and powerful good old boy network still operating here in Louisiana. Combine that with the fact that some people would vote for a corrupt Democrat before they'd vote for an honorable person from any other party, solely because their parents before them were Democrats, well you've got the makings of Louisiana.

Buzzm1 said:
Uhhh--it's Louisiana.
The most corrupt state of the Union. Jefferson's pretty much par for the course there. A previous, popular, multi-term governor (Edwards) is doing time for embezzlement, corruption, etc.

BillyGoatGruff said:
Uhhh--it's Louisiana.
The most corrupt state of the Union. Jefferson's pretty much par for the course there. A previous, popular, multi-term governor (Edwards) is doing time for embezzlement, corruption, etc.

So they traded corrupt for incompetent. That should be comforting.

I hope he is charged for the services he used! I heard about this on the news last night and that just makes me sick!

That takes me all the way back to my growing up in a small town, just South of Pittsburgh, PA. The perpetual mayor of my small town, was allegedly the third top democrat in the State Of PA. I don't know if that was true, or not, but I do know that he had strong ties to a lot of people, and what he said, would be done, would actually be done.

I hadn't thought much about it until now, for my family the mayor managed to:
get my older brother a full Congessional scholarship to Pitt.
he got my other brother, a recreational director position at one of our few parks, for a few years beginning as an 18 year old.
he got me a two summer jobs while the area was in yet another depression.

and I am sure if I think about it, I can figure out what my two sisters received. The mayor had enormous powers, as we were only one family, out of thousands, in the small town. That's how that small town worked, all on favors.

I can't believe this guy! I saw him last night when Aaron Brown interviewed him. And this man has served 8 terms? I hope if he runs for re-election he doesn't get voted back n.

I just remembered that it wasn't William Jefferson who ran for Governor against Mike foster in his first term, it was Cleo Fields.
Not sure if Jefferson ever ran for Gov.

Toby said:
I just remembered that it wasn't William Jefferson who ran for Governor against Mike foster in his first term, it was Cleo Fields.

Well, I hope that if he ever did run for governor the people would have enough sense not to elect him.

Toby said:
He ran for Mayor of New Orleans in the 1980s, at least once, maybe twice.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back