1116 users online (202 members and 914 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 561
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by La Louve View Post
    Sarena Dawn Moore, 44, was among the victims killed Thursday at Umpqua Community College.

    A graduate of high school in Reno, Nevada, Moore lived in Myrtle Creek. Facebook profile pictures of dogs and horses allude to a woman with a passion for animals. She had two sons also living in southern Oregon.

    Moore, a Seventh-day Adventist, attended church in Grants Pass. She listed the church as her employer. The church posted a message to Facebook on Friday mourning her death.

    "It's been reported that one of Sarena's last posts on Facebook was an affirmation of her desire to stand up for Jesus and Christianity," the message states.

    Rest in peace, Sarena.

    http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...a_dawn_mo.html
    I can't imagine what kind of vile, evil animal would shoot someone like this for being a Christian.
    JMO. MOO.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    phila metro area
    Posts
    107
    http://www.phillyvoice.com/fbi-atf-t...-philadelphia/

    My kid attends college in phila. The school is now having an emergency meeting to see if they should cancel. Lots of kids planning to stày home. Madness.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    31,651
    Quote Originally Posted by truecrimejunkie View Post
    http://www.phillyvoice.com/fbi-atf-t...-philadelphia/

    My kid attends college in phila. The school is now having an emergency meeting to see if they should cancel. Lots of kids planning to stày home. Madness.
    Disgusting cr*p! Thank you for not quoting the article.
    PODCAST ROW

    WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK
    __________________________________
    Always give generously of yourself to support your beliefs. And when you're knocked down, give more.




  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    16,291
    Quote Originally Posted by truecrimejunkie View Post
    http://www.phillyvoice.com/fbi-atf-t...-philadelphia/

    My kid attends college in phila. The school is now having an emergency meeting to see if they should cancel. Lots of kids planning to stày home. Madness.
    With all of this technology and big brother watching, can't these posters be tracked down?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    phila metro area
    Posts
    107
    I don't understand how 4chan works that people can remain totally anonymous. The FBI took it serious enough to alert the schools. I have to say I'm a bit nervous about tomorrow.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Avalon
    Posts
    13,612
    Quote Originally Posted by truecrimejunkie View Post
    I don't understand how 4chan works that people can remain totally anonymous. The FBI took it serious enough to alert the schools. I have to say I'm a bit nervous about tomorrow.
    I don't think the users at 4Chan can remain completely anonymous .. Plenty of members of Anonymous have been arrested in the past for various online infractions, so here's hoping the worst can be tracked down and prosecuted.
    You don't get a medal for switching alliances just before the result, as it becomes apparent the other team is set to win.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,347
    It is especially disgusting that this Oregon shooter had actually enrolled in that English class. He knew he was going to shoot his fellow classmates and his professor. It is so cold hearted and cruel that it is hard to believe.

    My DIL teaches Freshman English. She just transferred from the University to teach in the Community College because it fit her schedule better, with their new baby. And this shooting, just up the coast, really shook her up.

    She recently had to have a student 'escorted' off the campus because he was angry that there was no room in the class. He was on the WAIT list and came every day the first week but she could only add 2 from the long list. He was angry and came every day for the next 2 weeks but sat and made angry noises and argued with her about the class. She could not add him but he refused to accept that. Eventually 2 kids dropped out but by then she was not going to allow him in because he was acting so strangely and erratically and it was a mess. It has made her very nervous about being a college teacher. So sad to see because she LOVES teaching.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    My heart's in Black Rock City
    Posts
    1,911
    Quote Originally Posted by truecrimejunkie View Post
    I don't understand how 4chan works that people can remain totally anonymous. The FBI took it serious enough to alert the schools. I have to say I'm a bit nervous about tomorrow.
    (from my days as a telecommunications paralegal responding to search warrants and subpoenas) The IP address of the poster would have to be identified. Once the IP address is identified then LE would need to get a search warrant signed by a judge to require the ISP to provide the user's identity. That's assuming the poster was not using a proxy server to post on 4chan, in which case their IP address would not be visible without digging into the proxy server site.

    Or, the information for the registration of the particular username would need to be subpoenaed from the owners of the website. (ETA and that's assuming the info would be of any use to LE). From what I know of 4chan, I wouldn't be surprised if they dawdled on providing the info.

    ETA From my years of working with the FBI and ATF on subpoenas and search warrants, if they consider this a credible enough threat to warn the universities, then they are furiously working with telecoms and ISPs to get the user's information.

    And I won't even get into the NSA stuff.

    The Whitney Heichel Memorial Garden
    Bringing "beauty and light into a place where
    there once was so much darkness"
    (Sasquatch, Websleuths member).


    "In joy or sadness flowers are our constant friends.”
    ― Kakuzō Okakura, The Book Of Tea

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Birds and beaches.
    Posts
    487
    Hi truecrimejunkie. My son is at the University of Delaware. Also been notified.
    Quote Originally Posted by truecrimejunkie View Post
    http://www.phillyvoice.com/fbi-atf-t...-philadelphia/

    My kid attends college in phila. The school is now having an emergency meeting to see if they should cancel. Lots of kids planning to stày home. Madness.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by La Louve View Post
    (from my days as a telecommunications paralegal responding to search warrants and subpoenas) The IP address of the poster would have to be identified. Once the IP address is identified then LE would need to get a search warrant signed by a judge to require the ISP to provide the user's identity. That's assuming the poster was not using a proxy server to post on 4chan, in which case their IP address would not be visible without digging into the proxy server site.

    Or, the information for the registration of the particular username would need to be subpoenaed from the owners of the website. (ETA and that's assuming the info would be of any use to LE). From what I know of 4chan, I wouldn't be surprised if they dawdled on providing the info.

    ETA From my years of working with the FBI and ATF on subpoenas and search warrants, if they consider this a credible enough threat to warn the universities, then they are furiously working with telecoms and ISPs to get the user's information.

    And I won't even get into the NSA stuff.
    I get the impression there is a lot of proxy use going on there. And I don't think anybody needs to register a username to post there.


  11. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Coos Bay, Oregon
    Posts
    3,450
    Oregon shooter's father: Gun laws have to change


  12. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    My heart's in Black Rock City
    Posts
    1,911
    Quote Originally Posted by asac View Post
    I get the impression there is a lot of proxy use going on there. And I don't think anybody needs to register a username to post there.
    Thanks. I have no desire to expose my system to 4chan nastiness by going and checking it out.

    My other assumption is that the FBI/ATF has been surveilling 4chan via the TOR routers since last week's warnings were posted by the POS shooter in Roseburg. I've seen virtually instantaneous reaction from the feds on anything suspicious found via TOR.

    The Whitney Heichel Memorial Garden
    Bringing "beauty and light into a place where
    there once was so much darkness"
    (Sasquatch, Websleuths member).


    "In joy or sadness flowers are our constant friends.”
    ― Kakuzō Okakura, The Book Of Tea

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,347
    Quote Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
    Oregon shooter's father: Gun laws have to change

    I think it takes a lot of nerve for him to point fingers at other places, JMO.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    16,291
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    I think it takes a lot of nerve for him to point fingers at other places, JMO.
    What other places?

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by La Louve View Post
    Thanks. I have no desire to expose my system to 4chan nastiness by going and checking it out.

    My other assumption is that the FBI/ATF has been surveilling 4chan via the TOR routers since last week's warnings were posted by the POS shooter in Roseburg. I've seen virtually instantaneous reaction from the feds on anything suspicious found via TOR.
    Yes, I haven't explored it much and decided to click on the 'photography' board as I figured it would be 'safe' for viewing - and then as it was loading I thought "oh wait, what kind of photography is it going to be??". But it was fine!

    Has the 4chan posting before this (Umpqua) shooting definitely been linked to the shooter? I guess that would also give an indication of how 'anonymous' people are managing to be.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. CA - 14 killed in San Bernardino mass shooting, 2 Dec 2015 #4
    By bessie in forum Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks
    Replies: 1213
    Last Post: 12-08-2015, 07:22 PM
  2. OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #1
    By KayElJay in forum Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks
    Replies: 1000
    Last Post: 10-13-2015, 02:10 AM
  3. NC - Possible Abduction On Community College Campus
    By fhc in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 12:23 AM
  4. CA - Shooting at California community college
    By KaylynnCouture in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 07:28 PM

Tags for this Thread