CANADA Canada - Kelly Cook, 15, Standard, AB, 22 April 1981

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cc-afn/cook-kelly-eng.htm

cook-300.jpg
"Location : Standard, Alberta (AB)

Details : Kelly Jane Evelyn COOK, a 15 year-old female, lived with her parents in the village of Standard, Alberta, which is located 70 kilometers northeast of Calgary, Alberta.

On April 22, 1981, at 8:20 A.M., Kelly received a phone call from a man identifying himself as Bill CHRISTENSEN. The caller asked if she would babysit that evening. Kelly agreed and arrangements were made for the caller to pick up Kelly at her residence.

At 8:30 P.M., a full-sized North American car pulled up in front of the COOK’s residence. The unidentified male and Kelly were last seen departing the residence. Kelly was not seen alive again. Her body was discovered in the Chin Lake Reservoir (east of Lethbridge, Alberta) on June 28, 1981."

Not too many articles, some info here.
The perp does not seem to have been worried about getting recognized, was he a complete stranger, in disguise, or excessively bold?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard,_Alberta

" The case caught the public's attention like few other murder cases because it was so unusual, with the killer actually picking up his victim at her house while her mother watched through the window. Despite the publicity generated by this murder case, and a $100,000 reward offered by the Village of Standard for information leading to the arrest of Kelly's killer, the case currently remains unsolved."

I remember reading much more on this case and I'm looking for the thread. Kelly was not his intended victim. He called a friend of Kelly's and she wasn't able to babysit that evening so she referred him to Kelly. Now, this friend of Kelly's had also appeared in a figure skating article in some paper and a man had tried calling the school to get information on where she lived. So, in so far as planning Kelly's killer would have actually been planning to abduct and kill her friend. I wonder what her friend's name was and whether it was a local paper because more than likely she was his target because of the figure skating article.

Even though Kelly's friend wasn't available he still took Kelly and this must mean that he was not from the area and that he needed a victim on that particular day. Probably he wasn't going to waste another trip through Standard so he took what was available at the time. Thereby, the importance falls on the day and not the particular victim implying that he must have travelled a distance, maybe Standard was on one of his routes that he was winding up and needed to be somewhere else the following days. More than likely to pick up a cheque or money related to business so he could further fund his travels.

A long time friend of the family taught Kelly figure skating and I'm going to see what information I can get from her.

Now here's a guy who's always late and yet is in a big hurry. (Mary Ann Plett's case) He improvised when he took Kelly as a replacement. That's bold and may also show that he was very sure of himself in 1981. Like Al Gower (Edmonton RCMP) said, he wasn't late he was sitting back watching and I believe he was always in a big hurry because of the distances he was traveling. A shoe in for Edmonton.

Has a description of Bill Christensen ever been given?

This article references the Kelly Cook case.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/story.html?id=1346003

Mar. 2, 2009

"CALGARY -- A man charged with kidnapping and sexually assaulting a teenage girl at gunpoint in Alberta is accused of posing as a police officer using a flashing red and blue light from his car, police said Monday.

Gerard John Baumgarte, 56, of Red Deer, Alta., has been charged with impersonating a peace officer, kidnapping with a firearm, sexual assault, aggravated assault and uttering threats, according to RCMP."

Snip>

"Alberta has seen similar abductions where the victim did not survive. Fifteen-year-old Kelly Cook of Standard, Alta., was abducted on April 22, 1981, by a man who claimed he wanted her to babysit.

As Kelly climbed into the stranger’s car, her family never suspected the phoney babysitting job was a predator’s ploy to lure her from her own doorstep in Standard, 80 kilometres east of Calgary.

Her body was found two months later in an irrigation canal near Taber.

Her body was bound by ropes and anchored by two concrete blocks.

The random abduction mystified police, who keep Kelly’s file stored with other cold cases."

Just want to add a little info to correct some early info <modsnip> regarding Alberta at the time.

The Alberta economy was very much alive and kicking in 1981, with people from all across Canada living and working all across Alberta - I was one of them. Many, many people from all walks of life.

A notable statement from the Mayor of that era -

In 1982 Ralph Klein, then Calgary&#8217;s mayor, slammed people who moved to the city from eastern Canada to work, calling them "bums" and "creeps" and calling on city police to "kick *advertiser censored*" and get unwanted newcomers out of town.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/5-memorable-ralph-klein-moments-1.1347249

An influx of people will always bring crime. This influx was underway in 1971, to a lesser degree (Mary Ann Plett new thread). It was late spring or early summer of 1983 that brought a halt to the boom and many, many people left.

Weather conditions on 22 April 1981.

Standard, Alberta does not have a separate record for historical weather so using Drumheller (about 60 kms away).

High for that day was 19.5 C. The overnight low dipped to -1 C. No record of wind speed (Environment Canada site).

Going towards Lethbridge, where Kelly was found -

High for that day was 16.9 C. Overnight low (into 23 April) was -1.6 C. Cloudy and wind speed is reported as a whopping 81 km/hour, however another Environment Canada site reports wind speed of 61 km/hour. A newspaper from that day, reporting local weather conditions would settle that. Either way wind speed was significant.

Hoping these links open to the correct day -

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climat...938-01-01|2008-07-28&Year=1981&Month=4&Day=01

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climat...953-01-01|2012-06-07&Year=1981&Month=4&Day=22

It's very difficult to hear when the wind is high.

Many Quebecers also fled out west for economic and political reasons, found this ( translated French to English ) site, which lists all the murders in Quebec.
Scroll down to the 70's , many, many murdered girls and women listed, some believe " The Bootlace killer" may have been responsible for many of them.

As for Kelly Cook, (or her friend who ice-skated and whose picture was in the paper), targeted by perp, reminds me of Francis Carl Roy's m/o. He is in prison for the targeted murder of Alison Parrott.Too young to have taken KC, but perhaps it is someone similar to him?
imo, speculation.

"Quebec (province). Murders and homicides - 1608-1979"
https://translate.googleusercontent...8-1979&usg=ALkJrhgAnBdv3K1A-8gX4SIbHZqgH5vkpA

Concerning Francis C Roy..

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/parrots-killer-convicted/
rbbm

"The trail went cold until 1989, when two Vancouver police officers arrested a man for stealing a block of cheese. The man became an informant who told constables Doug Fell and Mark Wolthers that Roy, who moved to Vancouver in 1988, should be a suspect in the slayings of prostitutes in Vancouver's Mount Pleasant area that year. The source said Roy was seen emerging from bushes with a prostitute, and thought he had hidden something in the shrubbery. "Under a rock I found a big knife and an Indian rope, intertwined with wire," Wolthers told Maclean's. "We called in the bosses but the information, from two guys with five years on the job, seemed to be far-fetched. It wasn't going to be pursued. It was extremely frustrating."

Still, the two officers didn't let the case rest. In 1996, they gave their information to Christine Wozney, a Vancouver-based RCMP corporal who was running ViCLAS, the new database designed to solve cases by finding similar patterns in apparently unlinked crimes. Wozney eventually got the personal attention of Vic Matanovic, a detective in Toronto's historical homicide section. Matanovic assigned two officers to tail Roy, who had moved back to the city in 1991: they followed him into two Toronto bars and collected his used cigarette butts. DNA samples from saliva on the butts matched the semen found inside Alison, leading to Roy's arrest in July, 1996. Only now are police in British Columbia developing DNA samples from the murdered prostitutes to see if Roy can be connected to the cases."

Here is another murder victim that caught my eye during searches on KC and MAP.

Annette Leger, age 21, last seen Calgary between 10:00 pm and midnight 1 Jan 1987, found 4 June 1987 in a culvert outside of Drumheller. There is not much to find on Annette so adding here for comparison only.

Do not see a date of publication for this University of Calgary article - about 1/3 of the way down -

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~branniga/report.html

2. Less than six months later, Annette Leger, age 21, disappeared from the main stroll at some time after 8:00 to 10:00 pm on New Years Day, 1987 (Sun, January 8, 1987; Herald, January 17, 1987). Notices of her disappearance were carried in the Sun on January 13 and again on February 9, and in the Herald on January 17. Her naked and badly decomposed body was found on June 4, 1987, face down in a culvert on Highway 10 south of Drumheller (east of Calgary). It was not possible to determine the cause of death. An RCMP spokesman suggested that there was nothing obvious to link the murders of Leger and Kraushner (Calgary Herald, June 16, 1987). The case has not been cleared.

Drumheller is close to Standard, Alberta where KC was taken from and the weather was cold and windy.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climat...881-10-01|2012-07-11&Year=1987&Month=1&Day=01

High for 1 Jan 1987 was 4 C. Overnight low reached -11.8 C. Wind speed reported as 56 km/hour.

My take on Annette's case, fwiw, is the person lived closer to Drumheller rather than made a return trip to/from Calgary/Drumheller that night/early morning. Very risky to drive all that way (about 135 kms and about 90 minutes) during peak holiday time - one is asking to get pulled over, especially if seen late in a more rural setting. Alternatively Annette was held somewhere for a short while before being taken to where she was found.

Also Mary Ann Plett (will post weather details there). 15 Sep 1971 - low 3.9 C, some rain and high winds of 68 km/hour.

Have noticed more than once that cold weather plays a role in the missing/murdered women of Alberta. Jmo.

My take on Annette's case, fwiw, is the person lived closer to Drumheller rather than made a return trip to/from Calgary/Drumheller that night/early morning. Very risky to drive all that way (about 135 kms and about 90 minutes) during peak holiday time - one is asking to get pulled over, especially if seen late in a more rural setting. Alternatively Annette was held somewhere for a short while before being taken to where she was found.

It's a 2 hour drive from Standard to Taber (near Chin Lake Reservoir) where Kelly was found. I don't think this killer has a problem with driving long distances when it comes to his victims; either by way of picking them up or disposing of them. Rather, I believe it is his comfort zone and what this shows is an incredible level of audacity. If we combine the m/o and the drive by in MAP's car past her office the evening that she disappeared and the way in which Kelly was picked up, then what we're seeing is a level of no fear. In 1971, he was showing this level and by way of profiling, imo that put's him at that time as having being already a seasoned killer or having a mental handicap that prevents him from feeling or acting on fear instinct. He reminds me of a rabid dog that will come right up to your doorstep and only run when a shot goes off.

Bump for Kelly... Go Calgary Go... Has anyone found anywhere info stating that dna was acquired in Kelly's case?

So when you're driving through Standard on highway 840 headed north the first avenue you pass is named Christian Ave. and the second avenue is named Frederick Ave. Again, first name of the man that was reported to KARE by the 3 women in the Tuccaro cell phone recording and has often referred to Jesus as hanging upside down on the cross. These name sake locations are getting one too many to be coincidental and I'm wondering if there's a long standing Chinese Restaurant in Standard because I hear the Chinese have very good memories. MOO

So when you're driving through Standard on highway 840 headed north the first avenue you pass is named Christian Ave. and the second avenue is named Frederick Ave. Again, first name of the man that was reported to KARE by the 3 women in the Tuccaro cell phone recording and has often referred to Jesus as hanging upside down on the cross. These name sake locations are getting one too many to be coincidental and I'm wondering if there's a long standing Chinese Restaurant in Standard because I hear the Chinese have very good memories. MOO

Did i understand correctly that Frederick is the name suggested in relation to the A.T. cell phone recording?
Curious about the Chinese restaurant and the memories!

Eta, oh- Kelly Cook?!

FYI folks ... UC is not an approved site to link to.

:tyou:

Do you have a link for the bolded part, cloud? If not, i'll have to snip it. Thanks !!

Kelly Cook's case is mentioned in this article. Notice there is a description of an apparent suspect? I saw this on Pinterest also.

10 Haunting Canadian Murders That No One Can Solve

10 Haunting Canadian Murders That No One Can Solve - Listverse

Kelly Jane Evelyn Cook, 15, provided babysitting services in her community of Standard, Alberta. On the morning of April 22, 1981, she received a call asking if she was available to babysit that evening. The caller gave his name as Bill Christiansen and said he would pick her up. As usual, Kelly promised her parents to call once she arrived at her babysitting job.
At 8:30 PM, the man arrived in what witnesses would later describe as a full-size North American car. Kelly was seen driving away from her residence with this man. She never called her parents.
On June 28, her body was found in the Chin Lake reservoir outside of Lethbridge, which is approximately 130 kilometers (80 mi) from Standard. She was fully clothed, her body tied to cinder blocks and tossed into the water.
Witnesses described the man as 30 - 45 years old in 1981, making him about 63 - 78 today. He was around 178 centimeters (5' 10") in height with a medium to heavy build and dark hair. There is currently a $120,000 reward being offered to anyone with information.

Witnesses described the man as 30 - 45 years old in 1981, making him about 63 - 78 today. He was around 178 centimeters (5' 10") in height with a medium to heavy build and dark hair.

Is there sketch of this guy? That description would probably fit at least 75% of Canadian men in that age group.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2654704/h...n-kelly-cook-remains-unsolved-after-35-years/

For 35 years, the family of Kelly Cook has waited for answers. Decades have come and gone, but still, the 15-year-old&#8217;s death remains a mystery...

While the Cook family has always hoped for justice, after 35 years, they say the thought of an arrest is almost as scary as living with the mystery.

&#8220;If it all changed tomorrow and we had all those answers, I don&#8217;t know if any of us are prepared for that. Justice makes that individual accountable, but it doesn&#8217;t bring her home, it doesn&#8217;t change it.&#8221;

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back