MO - Larceny, StunGun, Run from LEOs, Car Chase, Flip, Loaded Handgun, St Louis, Oct '15

al66pine

Reaction score
Another day in the life of St. Louis Co, MO police, pulling suspect from burning wreckage.

"About 10:45 p.m. Tuesday, a Walmart employee called police to report a larceny. The store is at .... He was trying to steal $163 worth of merchandise, including underwear, ...candlesticks,...
When police arrived, an officer grabbed the man’s arm, but he pulled away and started running to the parking lot. The officer chased him and tried to use a stun gun, but it didn’t work.
The man sped off in a car, almost hitting a pedestrian on the parking lot....
A short time later, an officer ...saw a car speed past him that matched ... He was going so fast that the officer decided to back off.
...the suspect was spotted ...when his car flipped and struck several cars on the lot at Quality Car Care. Five of the cars in the used car lot were badly damaged.
That’s when the officer pulled him from the wreckage. .. man was taken to a hospital for evaluation, but ... no major injury and the hospital staff deemed him fit for confinement in jail.
Inside the burned car, police say they found a loaded handgun."

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_f19d2c7a-d9b7-5cf5-8fa0-8b9e593c6562.html Oct 7. bbm sbm. ^ article plus 1min:42sec vid

===========================================================

MSM accuracy
in reporting? Fox2 - KTVI vid reporter said,
0 min :20sec........"Luckily these cars were not anybody's in particular." and
~1 min :20 sec......"cars that no one owned...sitting on this lot."

Wait, what?
Cars parked on this lot did not belong to anyone? Had no owners? Were abandoned, had escheated to St. of MO? Had no value? So man arrested caused no harm to persons named on vehicle titles and registrations?

So why did anchor & vid reporter both say - some ppl in south County may have to rent cars? I don't get it.

56154545d7e85.image.jpg

^ cars "badly damaged" per caption in stltoday.com link above.

I don't get that either. "Quality Car Care" sounds like a car repair shop, right?

My point of initial post:
It started as simple shop-lifting where suspect could easily, peacefully have submitted to LE questioning and/or detention, where nobody is hurt, no property damaged.

Instead the suspect ran away, mushroomed the situation, which developed to involve -
- more LEOs,
- stun gun use,
- start of high speed car chase (w risk to many others, pedestrians, drivers & other passengers, self, & LEOs)
- suspect badly damaging 5 parked cars (apparently? see pix at link) & stolen getaway car.
- responder pulling suspect from burning car,
- hospital treatment.
Does any injury, damage, or expense matter? Apparently not matter if suspect is not arrested, does not have to pay.

.40 cal. semi-auto loaded handgun found in car affirms training LEO to approach w caution. Even a 'simple' shop-lifting.

And people wonder why LEOs 'over-react' sometimes.

An update reports, suspect's multiple convictions in several MO counties for burglary, stealing, robbery, forgery, resisting arrest, and unlawful use of weapon, dating back to 1988.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_f19d2c7a-d9b7-5cf5-8fa0-8b9e593c6562.html Oct 8.
(Not that LEOs were initially aware of this suspect's criminal history)

=============================================================

Other point of post: MSM Accuracy?

Did I hear field reporter correctly? IIHC, in vid, he said, basically, those cars do not belong to anyone. Huh? Before crash could you or I have just taken those cars for free, titled and registered them, then sold them?
What kind of MSM reporting is that?

Amazing how the suspect cared so little for his life and the lives of others.

Here's a recent picture of Quality Car Care. This is local for me.

659f07b90fa222ff6bff0aab15119c23.jpg

This shop rebuilds vehicles such as auto body work. So there's no telling what those cars looked like before this accident. Also, just at this mile marker the speed limit drops drastically from 45 to 30 and I guarantee there's always LE sitting there waiting so he probably freaked out. Around here this isn't even newsworthy. Only freaks people out who don't live here.

Just my 2cents fwiw...

Here's a recent picture of Quality Car Care. This is local for me. {pic deleted by al66pine}
This shop rebuilds vehicles such as auto body work. So there's no telling what those cars looked like before this accident. Also, just at this mile marker the speed limit drops drastically from 45 to 30 and I guarantee there's always LE sitting there waiting so he probably freaked out. Around here this isn't even newsworthy. Only freaks people out who don't live here.
Just my 2cents fwiw...

kdg411. Thx for Quality Car Care pic.

Speed limit drops like that
+ curve shown on ^ fox news pic

Yes, agreeing, many drivers could crash at that site, and the cars mashed may no be valuable classic show cars.

But still strikes me as waaaaay unnecessary for person to cause all the grief, injuries & damages this one did, just because he wanted to avoid shoplifting arrest. JM2cts.

{ETA: Maybe he fled from shoplifting arrest, b/c his pockets had goodies (drugs?), and he wanted to avoid drug bust. IDK}

More of these incidents are occurring because the criminals can't commit these acts where someone would identify in their own area so they drive here and don't know the area well enough which leads to something like this. The owner of that car shop has insurance so he'll be ok. Just sad it had to occur at all.

Guess the good part was the gun was confiscated before it could be used in another crime.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back