Found Deceased MO - Robert Polk, 22, St. Louis, 3 October 2015

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Robert Polk
RobertPolkmissing.jpg

Local veteran missing after going to buy car via Craigslist
"A local Army veteran’s family fears the worst after he goes missing. They suspect Craigslist may have played a role in the disappearance.

According to investigators with the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department, 22-year-old Robert Polk went missing Saturday. Polk’s family believes something went wrong after he left home looking for a vehicle he saw on Craigslist and never returned."

http://fox2now.com/2015/10/08/local-veteran-missing-after-going-to-buy-car-via-craigslist/

Polk was last seen around 7 p.m. on October 3, wearing a black sweatshirt and black sweatpants.

Polk’s mother said he was very excited after searching various Craigslist posts and finally found a car he liked. “Went to go meet the person that to buy the car, he’d been talking to someone about a black Mustang and has not been back since,” she said.

http://fox2now.com/2015/10/08/local-veteran-missing-after-going-to-buy-car-via-craigslist/

I was just coming here to see if this was posted. Another Craigslist disappearance in St. Louis. It doesn't look good for this poor young man. I hope for the family that this is resolved quickly and is as easily solved as the last Craigslist case in St. Louis was. There should be a warning on that site.

I was just coming here to see if this was posted. Another Craigslist disappearance in St. Louis. It doesn't look good for this poor young man. I hope for the family that this is resolved quickly and is as easily solved as the last Craigslist case in St. Louis was. There should be a warning on that site.

BBM

All the media coverage on these CL related incidents should be a huge warning to people to use extreme caution. I hope this time everything is fine and Robert bought his Mustang and is taking a few days for a road trip.

JMO

Police around the country have stressed safety tips in recent years after seeing a rash of robberies and other crimes linked to Craigslist sales.

Among the tips they offer:

- Don't go to the meeting alone.

- Meet at a public place. Some police departments suggest using the parking lot of the local police precinct.

- Do not invite a stranger into your home or go into a stranger's home.

- Bring your cell phone and let a friend or family member know where you're going.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/10/09/vet-missing-after-going-craigslist-meeting-about-buying-car

His mother, Hayleen Jones, said Polk told relatives last Saturday that he was going to look at a black Mustang being sold by a man on Newstead Avenue. His oldest brother, Rufus Johnson, has been looking in vacant homes and walking the neighborhood on Newstead to look for clues.

Polk is black, 5-foot-8 and weights 167 pounds. He has a medium build, medium complexion and is bald. He has tattoos on his chest, both arms and legs. He was last seen wearing a black skull cap, a black hooded sweatshirt and black jogging pants.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_d7ee6958-209b-5e74-8cc0-b82bebc49eb6.html

Praying he's ok. I've tried to warn my husband about the same thing. He works 2nd shift and met a guy after work to see about a car. He told me after the fact. I was furious with him. He said it never crossed his mind. He's blessed to be alive considering how many people have ended up dead after answering a Craigslist ad.

Personal Safety

The overwhelming majority of craigslist users are trustworthy and well-intentioned.

With billions of human interactions facilitated, the incidence of violent crime is extremely low.

Nevertheless, please take the same common sense precautions online as you would offline.

When meeting someone for the first time, please remember to:
•Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe.
•Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home.
•Be especially careful buying/selling high value items.
•Consider making high-value exchanges at your local police station.
•Tell a friend or family member where you're going.
•Take your cell phone along if you have one.
•Consider having a friend accompany you.
•Trust your instincts.
http://www.craigslist.org/about/safety
Taking these simple precautions helps make craigslist safer for everyone.

I think as a young man safety was the last thing on his mind, he just wanted a car. JMO. Hope he is found safe or comes home.

But men are a macho bunch and they just don't want to hear us women hollering about being careful. Especially a military veteran! I hope he is okay, too.

Army veteran missing in St. Louis; foul play suspected
It was initially classified as a missing persons case but police said Wednesday that foul play is now suspected. They did not say why.

http://www.koamtv.com/story/30268073/army-veteran-missing-in-st-louis-foul-play-suspected

This is a total guess, but I'm thinking (from the article about police tracking his cell phone and debit card) that they have video footage showing someone other than Robert using his debit card at the QuikTrip. It doesn't sound good, unfortunately.

From the link above...
ST. LOUIS • A man found dead in a St. Louis alley by demolition workers Thursday morning has been identified as a missing Army veteran last seen by his family in early October.

The body of Robert Lovings Polk was decomposed, but tests later showed he had been shot, police said. Polk was found dead at about 7:40 a.m. Thursday in an alley in the 8000 block of Frederick Street, in the Baden neighborhood.

(...)

Daniel Parker, 29, works for a company out of Wildwood that does demolition and asbestos removal. He said he and his co-workers were at the property in Baden the last two days and had been smelling a strong odor they assumed was a dead animal.

On Thursday morning, they walked closer to the odor and lifted a piece of drywall. Beneath it, they found a body, partly in a garage and partly in the alley.

RIP Robert, you deserved so much better.

Oh no. What a waste. Rest In Peace, young man.

RIP Robert [emoji257]
Thank you for your years of service.

That's a shame. I've had some successful sales from CL but now I'm a little wary of the way I've done them. Too many stories like this lately.

Does anyone in SL know how far the house he was found is from the area he was supposed to go to to see the car?

oh ffs.... disgusting wastes of flesh. RIP to you sir and thanks for your service.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back