TX - Police Taser Councilman Jonathan Miller, Prairie View, 8 Oct 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why they went after him when they were supposedly investigating his friends. Article doesn't say why they were being investigated or if any of them were arrested. He's on his knees with his arms at his sides. He doesn't appear to be interfering or threatening them. I couldn't hear if they told him he was under arrest

The Prairie View Police Department released this statement Friday.

"After repeated commands to step back, Mr. Miller was told that he was being placed under arrest for interfering with the investigation. Once officers attempted to arrest Miller, he physically resisted. Mr. Miller continued to resist, even after repeated commands to stop."

http://abc13.com/news/police-deploy-taser-on-prairie-view-councilman/1026075/

Councilman Miller interview outside of Waller County Jail.

[video=youtube;99cjj2To-gg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99cjj2To-gg[/video]

Said he was a supporter of police and voted them a pay raise.

Prairie View police said four men were being questioned about drug activity in the area when Miller, 26, interfered with the investigation. Many of the men being questioned were guests at his home, reported NBC affiliate KPRC.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/councilman-tasered-town-where-sandra-bland-was-arrested-n442246

I think it will be interesting to see if the interference went beyond asking what was going on. Asking is a normal response in regards to guests at your home being questioned by LE. IMO

This is a mess. It's not clear if he was under arrest. The LEO said that he was tased for asking questions/trying to get involved. He was on his knees at the time.

Does anyone really think that this was an appropriate rationale or justification for a use of force?

I'll bet when they saw him they were not thinking 'city councilor'. If I had been there instead of him, and if I had acted exactly the same way, I would bet the farm that I would never, not in a million years, be tased.

I think it will be interesting to see if the interference went beyond asking what was going on. Asking is a normal response in regards to guests at your home being questioned by LE. IMO

I think so too. As far as I can tell from the video it's not like his friends were being arrested and he jumped in the middle of it or went after the officers.

PENAL CODE TITLE 8. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
CHAPTER 38. OBSTRUCTING GOVERNMENTAL OPERATION

Sec. 38.15. INTERFERENCE WITH PUBLIC DUTIES[/URL]. (a) A person commits an offense if the person with criminal negligence interrupts, disrupts, impedes, or otherwise interferes with:
(1) a peace officer while the peace officer is performing a duty or exercising authority imposed or granted by law;

Sec. 38.03. RESISTING ARREST, SEARCH, OR TRANSPORTATION. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally prevents or obstructs a person he knows is a peace officer or a person acting in a peace officer's presence and at his direction from effecting an arrest, search, or transportation of the actor or another by using force against the peace officer or another

This is a mess. It's not clear if he was under arrest. The LEO said that he was tased for asking questions/trying to get involved. He was on his knees at the time.

Does anyone really think that this was an appropriate rationale or justification for a use of force?

I'll bet when they saw him they were not thinking 'city councilor'. If I had been there instead of him, and if I had acted exactly the same way, I would bet the farm that I would never, not in a million years, be tased.

Why not?

When officers tell me to put my hands behind my back, I do that---wise to comply. There will be time to call your attorney shortly to get it straightened out.

Right, wrong, or indifferent--if you insinuate yourself into a situation with LE present, they don't play. Don't resist.

Moo

Police also recorded the incident with both body cameras and dash cameras.

Prairie View Police Chief Larry Johnson said Friday he would release the footage without delay.

"I haven't seen anything that gives me cause for concern as far as at this point," Johnson said.

Police said they ordered Miller to step back, but he refused. Miller was then told that he was being placed under arrest for interfering with the investigation.

Police said Miller resisted arrest and that is when they deployed a Taser to subdue him.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/prairie-view-councilman-tased-by-police-in-front-of-home/35751604

I'm not in the "police are the bad guy crowd" but if I find out he was on his knees as some on this thread have claimed, tasing wasn't called for.

Councilman Miller interview outside of Waller County Jail.

[video=youtube;99cjj2To-gg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99cjj2To-gg[/video]

Said he was a supporter of police and voted them a pay raise.

What on earth was the second guy rambling about? Allergic to grass and dirt????

Well heck if you have severe, potentially lethal allergy to dirt (never heard of such a thing) then you probably want to cooperate when the police tell you to put your hands behind your back so they don't have to force you into the "deadly dirt". Sheesh.

Not a popular opinion, but he did interfere with police duties. He was not involved in why the police were there in the first place. When interfering, he was told many times to place his hands behind his back and would not comply.

No doubt Miller thought he could use his position as Councilman to influence the situation. I really believe this. It's like look who I am and listen to me!

You don't realize that when you roll up on a situation in the dark you do not know what all is going on and need to separate people and ask questions. If there was only 2 officers and more than two of the people you were trying to question, LE was outnumbered and needed the situation under control. Miller was distracting LE from doing their job. LE gave him numerous chances to comply and butt out and he didn't.

Another thing that people sometimes do not understand is Councilman is an elected position. Right here in my town an elected Councilman was elected from his district who had many children from different women and he was not married to them except for one. When he was taken to court for child support for being a deadbeat Dad, he was forced to resign. Was this a good man? No. He ran on the platform of being a family man. Who is to say that Miller is the epitome of a good person? This was just an example of being an elected official does not mean you are free from fault in a situation.

If Miller had not interfered to begin with, there would have been no problem. If Miller had complied with LE, there would have been no problem. The Taser only came out after repeated warnings from LE. That is protocol in Taser training.

Some people will take up for people like Miller every time. I am and always will be on LE's side if they are acting legally. My late husband retired from LE. If you are, or were ever close to someone in LE, you would understand the danger they face every single day and night. Your spouse or significant other never knows whether you will be coming home after your duty shift or not. My husband was Night Commander and had to respond to every significant stop as a supervisor in support of the officer(s). Miller might have been saying he was a Councilman but do you take time to find out if he really is or not? No, and it would not matter as he was not acting in his official role as a Councilman. You have to see it as someone interfering with police business and treat that person accordingly.

You see the video. You see Miller was not complying and was interfering. What you see is Councilman hit with Taser! That was the sensational headline used.

We can judge LE all we want to but if we find ourselves in a situation where we are being robbed or threatened, just who do we call? LE, that's who. It always amazes me that people can criticize LE UNTIL they need them themselves!

Okay, end of rant!

MOO

LaLaw2000 Thanks for saying it much better then I. I agree on all.

Not a popular opinion, but he did interfere with police duties. He was not involved in why the police were there in the first place. When interfering, he was told many times to place his hands behind his back and would not comply.

No doubt Miller thought he could use his position as Councilman to influence the situation. I really believe this. It's like look who I am and listen to me!

You don't realize that when you roll up on a situation in the dark you do not know what all is going on and need to separate people and ask questions. If there was only 2 officers and more than two of the people you were trying to question, LE was outnumbered and needed the situation under control. Miller was distracting LE from doing their job. LE gave him numerous chances to comply and butt out and he didn't.

Another thing that people sometimes do not understand is Councilman is an elected position. Right here in my town an elected Councilman was elected from his district who had many children from different women and he was not married to them except for one. When he was taken to court for child support for being a deadbeat Dad, he was forced to resign. Was this a good man? No. He ran on the platform of being a family man. Who is to say that Miller is the epitome of a good person? This was just an example of being an elected official does not mean you are free from fault in a situation.

If Miller had not interfered to begin with, there would have been no problem. If Miller had complied with LE, there would have been no problem. The Taser only came out after repeated warnings from LE. That is protocol in Taser training.

Some people will take up for people like Miller every time. I am and always will be on LE's side if they are acting legally. My late husband retired from LE. If you are, or were ever close to someone in LE, you would understand the danger they face every single day and night. Your spouse or significant other never knows whether you will be coming home after your duty shift or not. My husband was Night Commander and had to respond to every significant stop as a supervisor in support of the officer(s). Miller might have been saying he was a Councilman but do you take time to find out if he really is or not? No, and it would not matter as he was not acting in his official role as a Councilman. You have to see it as someone interfering with police business and treat that person accordingly.

You see the video. You see Miller was not complying and was interfering. What you see is Councilman hit with Taser! That was the sensational headline used.

We can judge LE all we want to but if we find ourselves in a situation where we are being robbed or threatened, just who do we call? LE, that's who. It always amazes me that people can criticize LE UNTIL they need them themselves!

Okay, end of rant!

MOO

BBM -

With all due respect, I find this post has now divided anyone posting into one group (camp might be a better descriptor) or another. That should never been the case imo, but it happens just about every time on this topic.

Opining that the person tazed was in the wrong is a popular opinion - it's your opinion and will be that of many others. Others will see it differently. Both seem ok to me.

People do realize what LE is up against at all times - especially in the dark.

People understand that a councilman/person is elected.

Some people will .... - appears to be an opinion, imo.

The last line bolded and underlined - of course people call a LEO when they need one - and when they don't. Have never seen anyone argue that other than an attempt to put their LE opinions before others of a different view. The difference in opinions (as opposed to judging) are usually did LE use excessive force unnecessarily or not? Are they abusing the power they have or not?

Hoping this one stays a good clean discussion with both sides able to air their opinions without others putting in words that are not said.

Jmo.

snipped. bbm, hmmm

You always starting problems, so go back over there," said Officer Kelley.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/loca...prairie-view-councilman-being-tased/73760818/

That was an interesting comment from LE. So that officer views Miller as a problem before the tasing. Miller had his hand raised in supplication while speaking with the female officer (who in my opinion is abrasive) and he did walk away from the scene.
He may not have been far enough away to suit LE but he wasn't being verbal or causing any problems that I could see. He did object to being touched and rightfully informed police that he lived there.
I think this little burg of cops is quick on the draw. IMO

That was an interesting comment from LE.

"Go back there to the end, man. You always starting problems, so go back over there," said Officer Kelley.

"I live here," Miller answered.

Okay....if he had NOT had multiple run-ins with the police why would he respond that way???

If a police officer said that to me I would likely look stunned and say "What? You have me confused with someone else!" But he doesn't say that because he KNOWS he is frequently a problem, so he responds with "I live here".

The fact he is so well known by police as someone that "starts trouble" yet he is a councilman says a lot about that community. No doubt his constituency has no problem with his behavior and this will probably get him more votes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer