Dolphins swept away during Katrina to be rescued

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Scientists are trying to rescue eight dolphins that were swept out of their aquarium tanks by Hurricane Katrina and have been spotted in the Gulf of Mexico.

The dolphins were spotted while swimming near the Port of Gulfport on Saturday by scientists .

The dolphins' home had been a 30-foot high tank at Gulfport's nearly 50-year-old Marine Life Oceanarium, which had survived Hurricane Camille but was destroyed by Katrina.

"Once we realized the dolphins had been swept out to sea during the hurricane, we feared that they had died," Solangi said. "We are just thrilled that they have stayed together during the past couple of weeks."

They have already been feeding the dolphins several times a day but the mammals appear to be significantly underweight and have severe to minor wounds, said Teri Rowles, lead veterinarian for NOAA's Fisheries Service.

Once rescued, the dolphins will be taken to nearby saltwater pools provided by the Navy for medical evaluation and treatment, Rowles said.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/09/15/katrina.dolphin.rescue.ap/index.html

What a wonderful story and I'm so happy to see this new "smile" forum!!! I hope all these dolphins and sea lions are ok.

How long has this forum been here? I just noticed it this afternoon.

2 of the dolphins have been rescued. They were not in the best of health.
Rescuers going back tomorrow to try to get these others.

http://www.sierratimes.com/rss/news...atrina_dolphin_rescue&time=1126818289&feed=us

Dolphins Lost During Hurricane Rescued - Yahoo! News
Posted: Thursday September 15,2005 - 02:04:49 pm

By HOLBROOK MOHR, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 2 minutes ago

JACKSON, Miss. - Two dolphins that were swept from their aquarium tanks into the Gulf of Mexico by Hurricane Katrina were rescued Thursday, but six others remained at sea.
The two rescued dolphins were captured after scientists in a boat coaxed the trained animals into sliding onto mats...

Crossing my fingers that the rest of the dolphins will be saved :)

Casshew said:
Crossing my fingers that the rest of the dolphins will be saved :)

Thanks for this forum Cass! (And the coolest Mods around of course) Sometimes I just need a smile and avoid the 'news' to take a break from the sadness all around.

Keeping an eye on the dolphin story and hoping it is a happy ending after all. We need a 'crossed fingers' smiley.

Jubie

jubie said:
Thanks for this forum Cass!
We have Tybee to thank for that :)

I like this idea though - a place to go read 'good news' that doesn't make you feellike crap or scratch your head :waitasec:

:dance:
Aww, thank you Tybee :woohoo:
I adore the posters here at websleuths, I know I'm going to appreciate this forum.

Mom and Son Reunited
Kelly Saved
More wonderful news came on Saturday when Marine Life trainers were able to rescue Noah's mom Kelly. Like her son, Toni and Jackie, Kelly jumped onto a floating mat and was brought ashore where she was immediately transported to the Navy saltwater holding tanks which finally arrived on Saturday morning. Shortly after, she was reunited with her son and the other dolphins who were transferred from the temporary shelter of a hotel swimming pool
http://www.dolphinsrus.com/

I am fascinated by, and simply adore dolphins, so I was so glad to read by the last post that all of these had been rescued! I like to see the show at Gulf World in Panama City Beach, and was able to really enjoy it knowing that those dolphins too had been rescued for one reason or another. Takes some of the guilt out of watching captured creatures doing tricks. I think we can still learn a lot from these intelligent, amazing creatures.:D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back