1065 users online (197 members and 868 guests)  

Websleuths News

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha

Websleuths Post of the Day/Law Student Wins for Monday Oct 12

Websleuths Post of the Day
    (nominate your favorite post right here)

Hold your horses as my dear departed mum would say...before the rush of nominations for Websleuths Post of the Day begins let's look at the Monday Oct 12th winner!

The nomination came via email to triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com Websleuths member "lawstudent" offered a well thought out post on the current shooting in Oregon and the gun control debate:

While they have become increasingly more frequent, these incidents remain anomalies with the killers reaching extremes that appear to be totally unpredictable IMO. All the warning signs are possessed by large numbers of people who do not reach this point. I do think it is a perfect storm of circumstance and mental state, combined with awareness of the possibility due to media coverage. Most police are not trained to handle it - it is so rare that only specialized teams at higher up levels are going to be truly trained for anything similar. And "people with mental health problems" is not a category with any meaning and by its nature never will be. Right now you have pretty much have felons, people who have been declared incompetent or had some other sort of extreme mental health adjudication (very rare), and everyone else. Background checks generally determine where someone falls. The first two cannot buy guns. The last group can without much restriction. This is one issue where I believe there virtually no in-the-middle meaningful solutions - background checks, home visits, etc. There aren't really even extreme solutions. There are no reliable variables to judge who does this - every one that is focused on, even if it has a clear connection, applies to such a huge group of people that is so poorly defined that attempting to control it would likely make things worse. Very upsetting situation, and the debates just make me feel worse because they all make people angrier without having any real hope of a solution. Depressing.
    Now is the time. We are ready for the massive rush to nominate. heh.

Nominate your favourite post. It can be from today or 10 years ago.

Don't be shy. Step up and nominate.

Help our Administrator Bessie
    Check out our Facebook page
    Follow me on Twitter

Tricia Griffith
    6300 N. Sage Wood Drive
    Suite H # 214
    Park City UT

NC Mountains
    Another outstanding post of the day from the Teresa Ann Grace Sievers threads.

LaLaw2000, post #132, at 11:41 a.m. under the thread - Victim: Dr. Teresa Ann Grace Sievers.

For the next POD member perfectingpink has nominated this post by borndem in the Chance Walsh case

borndem said

These cases make us all feel mean and angry and primitive and not-who-we-are. We cannot comprehend savagery of this sort, and that is what saves our sanity & our souls.

But --

I think we need to stay with these cases -- knowing we can shut the computer down for as long as we wish, and doing it when we have to -- because we feel that we have to stand for the littlest of us. Somehow, there was no one there to stop the monster(s) who were being so cruel, selfish and unfeeling -- but we can make these cases more public and known so that maybe one day we will be celebrating the what-could-have-been-but-wasn't. We weren't there to stop it; we aren't there to protest it or to legislate it or to prosecute it; but we can be where we are to raise it to our representatives, to work in shelters, to tell about it in prayer groups or Scouts or Clubs, or just to cry about it sometimes.

It makes us more aware and it energizes us. If we see something in a parking lot or at the grocery store or in Target, etc., that doesn't "look right," then it might make us say something like, "Would you like to just sit and talk and take a break from [screaming at your child, or whatever]? I'll be glad to sit with you & have a quiet time, or just to listen." And to report it if we are in a position that demands it.

Some form of those kinds of things we can do. And we can stand witness for these little ones who could never witness for themselves.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.