Tennessee school district runs out of money cancels school

Steft50

Having Fun
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the right thread to put this but I found it interesting and wondered what others thoughts on this would be. What would you do as a parent if your local district closed? How would this affect the kids? Could you imagine being in your senior year and your district closes? Is this just the beginning of more school closures as more and more financing for education is being reduced?

Yup. School just for the rich,

We need a link, please.

ETA: Here's one.

"CELINA, TN (AP) – A small, financially struggling school district in northern Tennessee has canceled classes until officials can find a way to generate more revenue.

Clay County Director of Schools Jerry Strong said the school board made the decision Thursday night after struggling with budget concerns for three years."

http://wjhl.com/2015/10/12/tennessee-school-districts-runs-out-of-money-cancels-school/

I'm not sure this is the right thread to put this but I found it interesting and wondered what others thoughts on this would be. What would you do as a parent if your local district closed? How would this affect the kids? Could you imagine being in your senior year and your district closes? Is this just the beginning of more school closures as more and more financing for education is being reduced?

BBM. Honestly, I'd move. Probably BEFORE the district imploded. I realize that my approach is unusual for most people, who are tied by job and/ or family to a certain area. But while I currently really like where I live, and the opportunities this area has for my kids, I'd pack up and move in a heartbeat if my only available school option was imploding. And while I participate regularly and intensively on various committees in my local district, as well as being aware of all Board issues, I realize that change takes multiple years to implement. My kids don't have that much time in elementary, middle, or high school-- so that's another reason I'd bail. I'm willing to be part of the solution if something major can be fixed in 1-2 school year sessions, but if things are worse than that, I'm outta here-- headed for more green fields for my kids. (Which I have actually done once, when the local district teachers were on strike.)

Granted, my education and experience (and willingness to move) gives me opportunities for mobility, for which I'm lucky and grateful.

I've lived in a gazillion different places in my lifetime, and I wouldn't hesitate to move if things were awful for my kids. Starting over isn't the end of the world for me. And my kids are very resilient and flexible, which would help.

We need a link, please.

ETA: Here's one.

"CELINA, TN (AP) – A small, financially struggling school district in northern Tennessee has canceled classes until officials can find a way to generate more revenue.

Clay County Director of Schools Jerry Strong said the school board made the decision Thursday night after struggling with budget concerns for three years."

http://wjhl.com/2015/10/12/tennessee-school-districts-runs-out-of-money-cancels-school/

My fault!! Soo sorry, I thought my link was there! :blushing:

It's a tv station link from wjhl http://wjhl.com/2015/10/12/tennessee-school-districts-runs-out-of-money-cancels-school/ ... same one you posted. Very sorry! :blushing:

WOw this is very sad. It breaks my heart seeing schools struggle for money.. I can get really upset when I see sports players making tons because they are being sponsored. Just can't figure it out. In one of the district in my state, the town doesn't have a high school. They had to negotiate with two other towns. I believe the town had to pay those schools the money. I would probably also pack up and move. But I would look into options of paying for other schools. In Maine I remember and am not that sure but if you pay the taxes the child could go to that school.

Tennessee district closes schools over lack of funding, blames Obamacare

https://www.rt.com/usa/318442-tennessee-schools-closed-budget-problems/

Notably, the county’s financial issues are not new. Clay County Director of Schools Jerry Strong told Associated Press that officials have been struggling with the budget for three years, and blamed county obligations such as state and government mandates, particularly the Affordable Care Act, for the monetary hole.

nuf sed.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/29644882/budget-issues-could-force-school-system-to-close-early

“The Affordable Care Act was the straw that broke the camel’s back for us,” Strong said. “We’re offering teachers insurance who are uncertified. We’re essentially offering them nothing. This hit us harder than some of the other counties.”

At the school board’s most recent meeting, they suggested a 20-cent property tax increase, but commissioners did not accept it.

“Lord be our helper. We’re going to do all we can to come up with a compromise to see that don’t happen,” Clay County Mayor Dale Reagan said.

I guess you go to the next closest school like my parents did back in the 1950s. Dad has two Bachelor's degrees and an M.B.A. Not the end of the world. Or home school. Or just go ahead and take the GED test if you are near graduating anyway.

Just another unanticipated consequence of bad legislation. I had to laugh when I heard Bernie Sanders talk about people need a wage of $15/he, 40 hours a week to make ends meet. Does he not know that the 40 hour work week is over unless you are a salaried employee?? They pass legislation and have no idea what they have done.

BBM. Honestly, I'd move. Probably BEFORE the district imploded. I realize that my approach is unusual for most people, who are tied by job and/ or family to a certain area. But while I currently really like where I live, and the opportunities this area has for my kids, I'd pack up and move in a heartbeat if my only available school option was imploding. And while I participate regularly and intensively on various committees in my local district, as well as being aware of all Board issues, I realize that change takes multiple years to implement. My kids don't have that much time in elementary, middle, or high school-- so that's another reason I'd bail. I'm willing to be part of the solution if something major can be fixed in 1-2 school year sessions, but if things are worse than that, I'm outta here-- headed for more green fields for my kids. (Which I have actually done once, when the local district teachers were on strike.)

Granted, my education and experience (and willingness to move) gives me opportunities for mobility, for which I'm lucky and grateful.

I've lived in a gazillion different places in my lifetime, and I wouldn't hesitate to move if things were awful for my kids. Starting over isn't the end of the world for me. And my kids are very resilient and flexible, which would help.

Money is not being cut from education. Money is being diverted to pay for the ACA. The feds take in more money now on a daily basis than ever in our country's history. They are just like that relative who always needs money no matter how much I coming in. They don't budget and are always overdrawn at the end of the month.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/29644882/budget-issues-could-force-school-system-to-close-early

“The Affordable Care Act was the straw that broke the camel’s back for us,” Strong said. “We’re offering teachers insurance who are uncertified. We’re essentially offering them nothing. This hit us harder than some of the other counties.”

At the school board’s most recent meeting, they suggested a 20-cent property tax increase, but commissioners did not accept it.

“Lord be our helper. We’re going to do all we can to come up with a compromise to see that don’t happen,” Clay County Mayor Dale Reagan said.

If this is true it's a great example of why the US should adopt a single-payer system.

These kids. I don't see it ending in anything other than long bus rides. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back