Australia defends plan to kill 2 million cats in face of Bardot, Morrissey protest

zwiebel

Reaction score
Australia has defended its plan to cull 2 million cats after Brigitte Bardot and singer Morrissey spoke out against the killings and compared them to the death of Cecil the lion.

Threatened Species Commissioner Gregory Andrews wrote an open letter to them, explaining that the feral domestic cats are threatening the existence of Australia's unique wildlife.

"Our native species are simply not equipped to coexist with feral cats; they did not evolve alongside predators like the feral cat," he wrote in his open letter.

He said the plan, which will see two million cats killed over the next five years, has the support of major environmental organisations.

Bardot and Morrissey haven't responded yet.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-34524703

I love both Bardot and Morrissey, but I much prefer our Koalas and other native animals, I'm all for this culling .. if people don't want to see cats culled, they should enforce neutering for most private sales, and otherwise keep all domestic cats indoors, especially at night time.

Cats are killers, the number of dead bandicoots, water dragons, native birds, etc killed by cats in most parts of Australia is devastating.

For the record, Mrs Norris (as seen in this pic) has never been outdoors more than a few feet, she prefers to watch birds from the safety of the window sill. Sometimes she goes onto the door mat before becoming nervous and rushing back indoors. I think that is actually for the best, you can always build a cat run if you want to let your moggie venture outdoors and at the same time protect the local wildlife.

We rescued a morning dove with one wing injured at our front door early last year. It was kept inside to heal then in time was put on the patio to live in the garden. The bird tried using that wing by stretching it and doing small flights in attempts to return to its life. One day he was gone from the patio and we thought he finally healed enough to fly away. Later that day a neighbor showed up with our bird injured in a box. Some kids had found him hopping around outside, took a bat to him smacking the bird into some trees. This is where my neighbor rescued him. My husband had looked for the bird that day before work and had just told me about it after coming home and shortly before the neighbor showed up. Needless to say, the bird died the following morning back at our house.

I can state for a fact that cats didn't kill this bird...humans did.

Over the years I have learned dogs kill, birds kill, fish kill, lions kill, bears kill and of course, man kills. This is only a tiny list of ALL of the killers that live on this planet. So when we start culling all the other killers on this planet then we can talk about the cats.

It's interesting that a cat requires nourishment from food to survive so they seek out their meal. They even drink water. That seems so close to what humans do...we get hungry, we seek out food and water when thirsty. I don't know, perhaps people who are hunters should be culled...they are killing wildlife after all. You know...deer, ducks, birds...

Culling is simply a masked word for what it really means - killing. Perhaps saying culling allows one to sleep better at night because they didn't really kill the cat. It was culled. I will never understand this line of thinking because there are other solutions to this problem. Funny what we will nod our heads at to be killed while shaking our heads no at other killings. The 2 million cats figure is laughable, who counted all these cats or is this just another imaginary figure being tossed out to the public to help justify this so-called mass killing of cats.

If these feral cats aren't even reproducing this is even sadder because they aren't adding to the population of cats. There are services that will capture a wild cat, remove the reproductive organs for free, and clip one ear as a mark then return them to the wild. Any wild cat seen with a clipped ear is left alone because it signifies this cat cannot reproduce and will be not captured by animal control. We did that for a wild cat that was hungry and came to our door looking for food. She had 3 kittens we discovered and was pregnant again. After she kicked the kittens out (we took in those 3 kittens) the mother cat was captured, fixed, ear clipped and returned back to our area. She lives happily outside and the neighborhood has one less cat producing litters. When I see articles like this I get very passionate about it because there is already too much animal abuse in the world and I view this as abuse to cats.

There are other solutions to the problem without mass killing.

I certainly can think of other problems Australia has and it's doesn't involve cats.

Of course the feral cats are reproducing. And even if 2 million of them are desexed they'll still all be killing the native animals.

I love cats, but we need to kill a whole lot of feral cats in Australia to save our own wildlife, just like we need to kill a whole lot of bunny rabbits, cane toads and wild boar.

Exactly!

My son just told me tonight that there are not enough bullets in the world to kill all the cane toads in Qld. Literally.

After the success of the pest eradication program on Macquarie Island they're looking at doing the same on Lord Howe. Very controversial there, but I'm all for it. If only they could do the same for the toads.

I'm okay with it if the cats can be killed humanely. The alternative is watching more native species go extinct. Catching, desexing, and releasing them is arguably more cruel than humanely killing them. My cat is also indoors, but mainly so he doesn't go under a car in the inner suburbs of Melbourne. It's time consuming, I play with him a lot everyday to entertain him. His food is mostly kangaroo, which have been culled. I don't eat meat, but he eats enough for two people. He's a product of someone else's failure to desex their cat. Sometimes I ponder the pointless of it all and end up in a mini existential crisis, lol. Anyway, Bardot and Morrisey would be better off protesting against live animal exports - now that's disgusting and cruel!

So if Australians let their pet cats out, how is anybody going to ensure they kill feral cats and not pet cats? Especially since one of the proposed methods is poison.

They won't be killing them in the burbs, this program will take place in rural areas. Any cat that far away from home is most likely feral, some farmers keep feral cats around to keep the mice down so I assume some of these may get caught up in the cull, but that's probably not such a bad thing.

I agree!

Coincidentally I found this. It has some good information, especially the numbers. Feral cats in Australia eat 50-75 animals each, every night. That's enormous.

A warning though, it has a very gruesome picture of a dead cat so don't click if you don't want to see it.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lanesainty/...top-the-australian-government-from#.al6NAJ8vJ

Your Buzzfeed link doesn't work, but the BBC link in the OP says that each cat eats about 5 animals per day -- counting insects.

It sounds like feral cats are a real problem in Australia, but there's a big difference between 5 and 50, and that kind of overstatement of the problem tends to make people skeptical of other claims as well.

They won't be killing them in the burbs, this program will take place in rural areas. Any cat that far away from home is most likely feral, some farmers keep feral cats around to keep the mice down so I assume some of these may get caught up in the cull, but that's probably not such a bad thing.

I haven't seen any articles mention where they will be killing the cats. Do you have a link handy for that?

I just wanted to add that there aren't even farms in our national parks, so those cats kept by farmers to keep down mice wont even get caught up. I must say though, that is part of the problem, as those cats breed too and add to the overall feral cat population.

Your Buzzfeed link doesn't work, but the BBC link in the OP says that each cat eats about 5 animals per day -- counting insects.

It sounds like feral cats are a real problem in Australia, but there's a big difference between 5 and 50, and that kind of overstatement of the problem tends to make people skeptical of other claims as well.
Sorry I got my stats mixed up. It is 50-75 million animals per night.

It is up to 30 animals in total per cat per day, but that includes 5 NATIVE animals per day.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robstott/australia-feral-cat-cull#.lrLYxl40l

Katherine Moseby, an ecologist at the University of Adelaide, says feral cats are one of the main factors stopping native species from flourishing.
“One of the main causes of re-introduction failure in Australia is feral cats,” she says. “They’re preventing us from re-establishing species. It’s having a huge impact.”
Moseby also says those who oppose the cat cull don’t fully understand the unique issues facing Australia.
“These are not cats that have been dumped by their owners. They don’t live near garbage bins in the inner-city. 90% of Australia is rural and remote so we have large tracts of land where humans simply don’t go. It’s really not practicle or possible to lay traps or neuter cats in these areas. I don’t think people understand the extent of the feral cat problem here.”

She did the same thing in Romania where we have a growing problem of stray dogs that create dangerous packs and attack people. Children were mauled to death by those packs, I hope Bardot feel guilty, although I am sure she doesn't.

I have one question, if anyone knows, what sort of bait or poison do they use? I just hope it's quick acting with minimal suffering. And I wonder how they stop other animals, like dingoes, getting it by mistake.

The bait is called Curiosity and the RSPCA says is humane. The cats fall into a deep sleep then don't wake up. This article explains how the chew technique of cats was studied to make a bait that won't affect other animals.

The Curiosity® bait for feral cats comprises a small meat-based sausage containing a small hard plastic pellet encapsulating a humane toxin. Cats do not have molar teeth and do not chew their food so they will reliably swallow portions of the sausage including the pellet. Most of our native animals nibble and chew their food so will reject the pellet. The pellet is designed to dissolve in the cat’s stomach and deliver a rapid dose of the toxin.

The Curiosity® bait for feral cats uses a new humane toxin called para-aminopropiophenone, or PAPP, which is considered best-practice world-wide and is analogous to the animal going into a sleep from which they do not wake up. The RSPCA have indicated they believe the cats die a humane death. The mode of action means there can be no secondary poisoning of any other animals from consuming a carcass of a cat that ate a Curiosity® bait containing PAPP.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back