'Dance Moms' Abby Lee Miller indicted on federal fraud charges

0101ABA

Former Member
Reaction score
A federal grand jury on Tuesday returned a 20-count indictment against Miller, 50, on charges of bankruptcy fraud, concealment of bankruptcy assets, and false bankruptcy declarations.She will be arraigned on Nov. 5 in U.S. District Court in Pittsburgh, a spokeswoman for Hickton said.

If convicted, she faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine for each count, Hickton said in a press release.

(...)She is accused of scheming to defraud the bankruptcy court by concealing income she earned between 2012 and 2013, by creating bank accounts to hide it.

"Miller knowingly concealed ... a substantial amount of business income which she earned from her appearances as a featured performer on the reality television program 'Dance Moms,' and related spin-off TV programs, as well as income she earned from Masterclass dance events and online merchandise sales from Abby Lee Dance Company.com," the indictment said.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/entertain...-miller-indicted-on-bankruptcy-fraud-charges/

oopsie. Did she not know that the IRS can track all of that?:facepalm:

Never have watched the show because this woman is so offensive in commercials. Yuck

:eek::eek::eek:

OMG ... this is a shocker for me as I have watched Dance Moms since day 1 !

Yes, Abby is tough dance teacher, and no doubt she can be crude and rude ...

But ... her DANCERS are :great: and talented !

:moo:

From WTAE in Pittsburgh:

According to the indictment, Miller, formerly of Penn Hills, allegedly concealed income totaling more than $755,000 from the trustee and creditors, and ordered others to conceal certain income from the bankruptcy court.

DOWNLOAD: View the full indictment document

Link: http://www.wtae.com/news/dance-moms-abby-lee-miller-indicted-for-fraud/35833982

The full indictment document can be found at the link above.

:seeya:

Too bad they didn't charge her with child abuse as well.

up to five years in prison and more than $5 million in fines if convicted.

The arraignment is scheduled for November 5 in federal court in Pittsburgh. Miller has yet to enter a plea. Lifetime had no comment on the indictment or the future of Dance Moms, which recently began shooting its sixth season according to Miller.

http://deadline.com/2015/10/dance-moms-abby-lee-miller-prison-fraud-lifetime-1201582172/

Citing charges of bankruptcy fraud, concealment of bankruptcy assets and false bankruptcy declarations, among others, the indictment says that Miller orchestrated a complex shell game to hide money in recent years following her 2010 Chapter 11 petition to reorganize her dance studio business. That shell game of secret bank accounts brought accountants and even her family into the plan as well. “It was further a part of the scheme and artifice to defraud that in order to conceal her TV show income, Miller directed Collins Avenue to pay approximately $51,800 of Miller’s TV show talent fees to her mother, Maryen Miller,” says the indictment.

The investigation by the feds started after the judge in Miller’s bankruptcy case saw Dance Moms on TV and grew suspicious as to where all the money from the show was. Despite being mentioned several times in the indictment as paying funds for Miller to third-party vendors and others, Collins Avenue is not named as a defendant.

Guess she's no longer :happydance: But Abby will probably choreograph a :juanettes: based on the fraud theme for an upcoming episode of "Dance Moms" ;)

Brooke Hyland, tweeted the word "karma" to her account: https://twitter.com/BrookeHyland1/status/654444114503684096?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Brooke's mom, Kelly Hyland, who left the show with her daughters in February 2014 after an on-screen fight with Miller, has not publicly commented, she was in the mood to celebrate Wednesday by posting a shot of a cocktail on Twitter, making sure to tag fellow former “Dance Moms” star Christi Lukasiak. The caption simply read “cheers.”

Miller’s on-screen nemesis, Cathy Nesbitt-Stein, the former “Dance Moms” star and Candy Apples Dance Center coach posted a couple of telling tweets Wednesday, but did not directly mention Miller. “Is #orange the new black? I hear stripes are big this season.”

http://www.ibtimes.com/dance-moms-s...miller-twitter-after-bankruptcy-fraud-2142320

Too bad they didn't charge her with child abuse as well.

I've never witnessed abuse. I've witnessed tough coaching/teaching.

But as a parent of a very competitive child, I may see things differently.

My daughter has had really tough coaches all her life. Tough coaches produce great athletes.

Anything worth having doesn't come easy. Or by being babied.

My favorite quote on this subject:

“Uncoachable kids become unemployable adults. Let your kids get used to someone being tough on them. That’s life. Get over it.”
Patrick Murphy
University of Alabama softball coach

Tough is one thing. She seems to be playing mind games a lot with these children. Then the nearly constant arguing between her and the mothers is something else. There seem to be even more bickering than usual in recent shows, which is why I stopped watching. I realize a lot of this could be staged, but do producers really think it's enjoyable to watch all these arguments? I do like her but if what is alleged is true, she could end up in prison for a while. But since Marta Stewart came out of prison better than before she went in, there is hope for the best.

She's a paid dance instructor. Those moms can pull those kids out at any time. They are there because ALM produces highly talented well trained dancers.

I don't always agree with her techniques. But it's her studio.

I don't always agree with my child's coaches. It's either stay or walk. My choice.

JMO

She's a paid dance instructor. Those moms can pull those kids out at any time. They are there because ALM produces highly talented well trained dancers.

I don't always agree with my child's coaches. It's either stay or walk. My choice.

JMO

They sign a contract with the lifetime tv show, so it's not exactly true that they can pull the child out at any time.
But as we all know there are a lot of things some parents will do or put up with for any potential fame and fortune. I am not sure that makes it o'key.

That's why each parent has rights.
We all raise our children how we see fit.

Several of those kids were at that studio long before "Dance Moms" was a show. So yeah, they could have been pulled long before that Lifetime contract.

I think Nia started there when she was 3 or so. Maddie and Mackenzie have grown up there too.

Abby Lee Miller segment on Nancy Grace's HLN show last night. Transcript not available yet.

JMO

My kids had incredible coaches who not only taught the sport and got incredible results with their athletes but also built character and were an example of what it means to be a decent human being. I honestly never saw them in screaming matches with kids and parents as I've seen on the commercials for this show.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back