Tillie the Hero Dog Named Washingtonian of the Day by Governor Jay Inslee

La Louve

For Whitney and Teghan
Reaction score
OLYMPIA —

Thursday’s Washingtonian of the Day has four legs and a coat of red fur.

Tillie, the dog who stood guard and helped rescuers find her canine friend Phoebe in a cistern on Vashon Island after the two went missing in mid-September, was presented the honor by Gov. Jay Inslee.

Tillie, an Irish setter-spaniel mix, plays the homebody, rarely leaving their property without Phoebe [a Basset Hound], Duft said. When the pair wandered off last month and went missing for about a week, Tillie tried to alert nearby homeowners that Phoebe was in the cistern in a ravine by running out and then running back to the cistern. Phoebe was stranded on some rubble a few feet down in the cistern — too far for a basset hound’s stubby legs to find a way out.

During the ceremony, Inslee had Tillie sit next to him as he urged “everyone in Washington to celebrate the bravery and loyalty of this canine companion.” Along with a written proclamation came a Washington apple pin on a ribbon that was tied around Tillie’s neck.

Much more at the link, including photos of both Tillie and Phoebe with Governor Inslee.
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/vashon-hero-dog-tillie-gets-award-from-governor/

Happy these two pals made it through their misadventure OK! That's the kind of pal to have.

Great story and great pic from article, so cute it's worth reposting in case anyone doesn't click the link.

They look so happy! I love photos of smiling truly happy dogs.

77de5592-7367-11e5-900f-8f17a1e8f270-780x740.jpg

I love this story. These dogs knew to try to alert people to help them.
Their belief in us is amazing....and heartwarming.

I love this story. These dogs knew to try to alert people to help them.
Their belief in us is amazing....and heartwarming.

Tillie had that belief because she was raised by a good person that DID care about them.

Neglected/mistreated dogs kept by heartless people probably wouldn't have looked for human assistance because all of the humans they have known didn't give a ****.

This is the sweetest story and I agree....those dogs look happy and so loved!

What a true and loyal friend you are, Tillie!

Thanks for posting this story La Louve! Made me SO happy today!! :loveyou:

Bark on Tillie and Phoebe!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie